It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Send letters of poor treatment!

Hi everyone! Just thinking it would be great if everyone would send a short note to the doctors that misdiagnosed them to help prevent further abuse! Be polite and sincere, point out the symptoms and lab ranges, the right diagnosis from current doctor. Emphasize the symtoms and fact that they are related to thyroid!!!! Inform which symptoms have gotten better! In my case the 1st Endo sd " my thyroid is normal size and I do NOT have any nodules", " my symptoms are not related to the thyroid, and will not get better with treatment". Well-----guess what? my worst symptom, HORRID insomnia of 15yrs is almost non existant now! with thyroid meds!!! My thryoid being "normal" , its non existant and totally eaten up from Hashi's (per u/s), I have a 1cm nodule, with hurthle cells. My levels are all over the place. Anyway, I feel better informing the ignorant doctors in hoping maybe it will help the next person? ( oh, endo#1, refused an ultrasound based on his assumption my thyroid was fine!, found the 1cm nodule from endo #2) I want to send a letter to my primary but need her for referrals in the future, but she has received copies from my new endo of my biopsy. I ended my letter to #1 endo with, " makes me wonder how many suffering people are put on the couch with misdiagnosis???"
Hysterectomy

Old 04-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Send letters of poor treatment!

You go girl. I love it. I have been doing the fax thing with supporting evidence for a while. I think the nurse/office screens them. I do not know if the MD actually got any of my letters. But I am keeping a file and if I see her again I will e-mail them to her or pass them over. Leaving journal articles for their enrichment is another tactful means to enlightenment.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I hear your anger and I am sorry for your misdiagnoses but letter writing and burning medical bridges in my opinion might not be a wise decision. I think I would maybe write the letter(I have often done that)... but never send it. I focus my energy on finding the right doctor that will go the extra mile to find out what is making me so sick and tired. The patient also has the obligation to be their own advocate of good care and keep up the search until you find someone to listen...or that makes you feel better. I am so glad you found the right solution at last!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Ann, it does nothing for my "wellbeing" but for others', hopefully. My health has already been unjustly cared for many many years. I'm hoping to "educate" the uneducated doctors out there. My own primary last yr was grateful to find what "herbs" I used to help my insomnia so she could pass it on to her patients. Doctors are overly booked and unable to get up to date info, let alone listen long enough. I agree, patients need to be their own "advocates" but in many situations, elderly, no resources, many are left to fully trust the doctors' word as gospel. That is part of the problem with health care, nobody is overseeing the ignorance. My heart goes out to the elderly people stuck in nursing homes, fed drugs all day, suffering in silence. Anyway, I feel I've done my part with passing on correct information, I sure don't consider it as a waste of time doing the right thing. My healing will be more gratified having maybe helped one other person.
Hysterectomy

Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

If I had no intention of ever seeing the mis-diagnosing doctor again, I too would be tempted to send a tactful letter. FYI - I have a friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer and her tactless, cold doctor at the time dashed her hopes and basically told her to start planning her funeral. Well - many, many treatments and 10 years later with a wonderful doctor, she is still very much alive and doing very well. Every year as she celebrates the milestone of another birthday living in remission, she sends a happy birthday card to her original doctor - just a little reminder to him to treat patients like they are living, not dying. I've always loved telling that story. jrose

Old 04-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Tactful and fact full.

Quote your MD from his record of you. Then include refuting evidence of where he was wrong. The facts will prove a point. Then include the basic facts on normal ranges and links to the A A C E and N A C B sites as well. The facts should make them grunt and at least clear their throat. Also they can not be offended when it is facts.. versus supposition on your part. My favorite saying is humor me and prove me wrong. I am batting 100 right now with my own conclusion. However I wouldn't mind being wrong.

MG

Closed Thread