It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

Lesa45 HB User
Will someone explain the controversy over Armour?

Why is it hard to find a doctor to prescribe Armour? Is it unpredictable? Dangerous? Hard to get? Some people seem to swear by it. Why is it such a hot topic?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
(female)

bittygirl HB User
Re: Will someone explain the controversy over Armour?

its hard to find a doc to prescribe armour because they are tought in med school that levothroxine is the meds of choice. They are tought that Armour fluctuates in its consistancy therefore its inaffective and levothroxine is the stabel one. My endo doc even though she is mostly good, tell me a line of crap. She says if on Armour she will only test the TSH and not the T3 and T4 because Armour is unpredictible and the only true reading is done only by the TSH. I know this is false. Levothroxine is also the drug of choice according to the docs because they make money off of it. Levothroxine brings in thousands of dollars, just like blood pressure and cholestrol medicine.
Armour thyroid is cheaper and its been around for over 100 years and has worked wonders in many people. Tell your doc its your body and you have a choice what you want to put in it and you rather put natural drugs instead of synthetic stuff.
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Many, many people do equally well on Armour or Levothyroxin or a combination of both. Both can work wonders, it just depends on your body and your unique needs. I think some doctors don't prescribe Armour because they have never really learned about it and so they don't really understand how to treat with it. I am one that doesn't tolerate Armour well but I do wonderfully on Synthroid, a synthetic T4 med. The synthetic T4 drugs are a life-saver for me as Armour is for many others. You just need to experiment and find a doctor who will work with you to find the best option for you. jrose

Old 04-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

How can you tell which is best for you? Is it the way you feel or your labs...both perhaps?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
(female)

talbet0729 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesarosi View Post
How can you tell which is best for you? Is it the way you feel or your labs...both perhaps?
For me it was trial and error. When I was first diagnosed hypo I was put on Levothyroxine. It wasn't doing anything for me, but I kept on it and increased my dose until my blood tests were typically what would be considered optimal for most people. When I had little to no relief from my symptoms, I searched out a doctdor that would prescribe me Armour. I switched to Armour about 6 weeks ago and am doing so much better on it. Almost all of my symptoms are gone and I'm hoping the rest will go away once I find my optimal dose.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Armour thyroid was the first manufactured thyroid supplement. It dates back to the late 1890s. It's made from dried porcine thyroid tissue. It contains all five of the thyroid hormones that the human gland makes, but in slightly different proportions. It's manufactured according to the same USP standards that Synthroid and the other synthetics are, which means that all of them are made from ingredients which are consistent in quality from batch to batch; which meet label or certificate of analysis claims for identification, strength, purity, and quality; are manufactured in accordance with the internationally accepted Good Manufacturing Practices for Drug Substances and Excipients; and meet requirements for acceptable limits of contamination.

Sometime in the 1950s, Synthroid was developed. An intense marketing campaign - much like the ones that Big Pharma uses today - sold MDs on the idea that T4 was the only thyroid hormone that has to be replaced, and that T3 is unnecessary because the body will automatically convert as much T4 to T3 as is needed for metabolism... That T3is, in fact, dangerous to replace. They completely ignored the hormones T0, T1, and T2, simply because they are produced in miniscule amounts in normal thyroid function... as if they couldn't possibly matter at all. MDs were "monetarily encouraged" to prescribe Synthroid to all their thyroid patients. To sell the patients on the idea, they were asked whether they preferred to stay on a medicine that was derived from "dirty pigs" or to switch to one made in a nice, sterile laboratory.

To further capture the market, Synthroid began making large contributions to medical schools. Not wanting to bite the hand that was feeding them, the schools changed the curriculum to the Synthroid propaganda. It's pretty much stayed that way ever since.

No one drug can fill the needs of all the people who need thyroid replacement. But Armour continues to fill the needs of many of them who can't convert adequate amounts of T4. Yes, labs should show who they are. But MDs are so locked into the notion that patients can't possibly need T3, that they often don't bother to look at serum T3 at all.

For some reason that I haven't figured out, I couldn't take even the smallest dose of Synthroid without it overmedicating me. The Synthroid-only prescriber who was treating me told me to stop taking it until I got "sick enough" to "tolerate" it. That wasn't acceptable advice for me. I knew I had options, so I sought out an Armour prescriber. It didn't once overmedicate me the way Synthroid had. After a long year of titration to my optimal dose, I'm fine with Armour today.

The only way to know whether it would work for you is to try it. All beginning thyroid treatment is trial and error. Just don't let any MD try to give you that load of hooey about Armour being the lesser product. It most certainly isn't.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

I was on a combination of Synthroid and Armour for years and was quite happy and well. This past year I started going hyper for no apparent reason (not hashi's). After much experimentation I finally had to drop the Armour completely. It just got to be too much for my system. I am now full re-optimized on 125mcg synthroid. For some reason it appears that my body is now doing the T4/T3 conversion better. My doctor prescribes Armour and has told me that if I ever need the Armour, I can always go back to it which is a comfort. So, you just have to experiment a bit and see what gives you the best result and stay flexible - thnigs can and do change with this thyroid circus! jrose

Old 04-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
(female)

CyberGodess HB User

Quote:
The one that works best for you is the one that eliminates ALL hypothyroid symptoms. As far as I'm concerned, lab test don't exist.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User

SORRY - I cannot answer that. Lack of understanding how Armour works & its other benefits would be my best guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesarosi
My Mom has taken Armour for 50+ years. She's tried other meds, but has always preferred Armour. Seriously they used to dose SOLEY on how the patient FELT !

My Thyroid rolLeRcoAsteR has been Mr. Toads Wild ride. After battling my Osteopathic to GET on Armour, I could of kissed him the visit he said
"Let's not go by labs - we'll worry about how you FEEL rather than the numbers on the page"

So to answer your question:
I think how the patient FEELS needs to be more important than what the lab sheet indicates.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
(female)

momrobare HB User

Quote:
Why is it hard to find a doctor to prescribe Armour? Is it unpredictable? Dangerous? Hard to get? Some people seem to swear by it. Why is it such a hot topic?

HI
I was on Armour Thyroid from the age of 18 months until 28 years of age when my doctor switched me over! I NEVER had a weight problem (couldn't get over 110 lbs) when I was on the ARMOR...went on Synthroid and BAM...100 lbs in less than no time! It's horrible!

So now 22 years later ...next month I am insisting to my doctor that he put me back on the Armor thryroid for a 6 month trial period and if I don't lose weight...then I will concede that maybe the synthroid is better.

But I think I will see an improvement cause I was started on Armor Thyroid medication at a very young age and my problems with the hair loss and weight gain started AFTER I was taken off of it and put on Synthroid! So we shall see...lol

Closed Thread