It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #1
(female)

jack1908 HB User
Lab results - need help

I am a bit nervous about my lab results from a fna done recently. I don't see my endo until 5/2 and just been stressed about the results. I have had a 7cm nodule on my left thyroid lobe since 2003 and just been monitoring it through blood work annually of thyroid levels, per my doc. Due to symptoms of hypothyroidism I went in for a recheck, long story short they did a new fna and found hurthle cells and I was told that the left nodule needs to be removed to determine cancer. I searched and found a doc at UCSF with ann apptm on the 5th.

I picked up my lab results and path slides to bring to my apptm. The results sound scarey: " overall dimensions approximately 2.1x2.5x9cm w/ large solid heterogeneous mass extending in the inferior pole of leftt thyroid lobe about 4x2.6x7.7 cm. This mass aapeared quite hypervascular on color-flow ultrasound. Clusters of Hurthle cells identified, suspicious for Hurthle cell neoplasm. Minimal colloid and red blood cells identified. Recommend excision of lesion for definitive diagnosis."

I realize that none of you may be docs but anyone familiar with theses results? I've tried to research and don't like the "hypervascular" or "colloid" . Just stressed and so long before my appointment. Any clues for what to expect???? Can't believe no fna since 2003, who knows how long the Hurthle cells have been present! Thanks for all and any words of wisdom. Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Lab results - need help

Are you sure it's 7 centimeters, or is it 7mm?????? Since 2003???

I don't understand quite why that wasn't removed when you found it 5 years ago??? A thyroid lobe is about 3-4 cm large, your nodule is a mass the same size as an entire thyroid.

The only way they will know if that's cancerous or not, is by removing it, and with something that large, and suspicion for hurthle cells, I would push my surgeon to remove as much of the thyroid as possible.

You have a pretty good chance of this being benign, but it must come out....the cells in there are mutating......

I had my entire thyroid removed for thyroid cancer 3 years ago, my surgeon was fantastic, and I healed real quick, and did very well.

Last edited by Reece; 04-24-2008 at 07:50 AM.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
(female)

jack1908 HB User

I know, I can't believe how ignorant I was of this whole situation. Yes, it was 7cm back in '03 when first discovered. Not mm! Since doing research these past few weeks I am realizing that it should have been removed in '03. I'm just so worried and I am requesting a TT when I'm seen on 5/2 as a 2cm nodule and 2 small mm size cysts are also new on my right lobe! What a mess, would you agree??

Old 04-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My family has a 2PTs and 2 TT in the last generation. One PT became a TT in a matter of 6 months. Given the suspicious growth and developement of growth in the other side.. I say yank the whole thing. Getting a partial and having to come back in for the other side adds scar tissue complications and more. A flat out TT is the best. My Aunt's think so and remind me that if i have to go under.. get it all out. If you have Hashimoto's or Graves.. or both removing it stops the antibody side effects in their tracks as well. According to my Aunt Bs that were able to regulate their meds only after a TT.

Good luck and keep us posted. My single nodule was 9mm^3 in January. It hurts all the time.. I woould have whined til they cut it out 5 years ago at that size.. WOW!

MG

Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

The good thing, is that you are taking care of it now----and hopefully, you have a good surgeon.....---and you are going to feel so much better when it's gone!

Try not to worry too much, hopefully, it's not cancer, if it is, it's curable, and the treatment is much easier to get through than you'd believe.

Let us know how everything goes! I hope your surgery is a breeze!

Closed Thread