It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

emmymm HB User
RAI yesterday 150 millicuries, feeling nauseous & SO TIRED

Anyone else eexpeience the nausea? How many days does it last?
Last time I had RAI it was 107 millicuries. Didn't seem to get rid of the thyroid remnants from the TT. I had absolutely no side effect. However I wasn't off my levothyroxine either. The first time we ablated I raised TSH with Thyrogen. This time we did it the traditional method and my TSH is 47. So, I imagine that has to do with how gross I feel. I was able to take my normal 175 dose of levo today plus my "side" of Cytomel 25 mg..morning and evening. I never had Cytomel before. I hope it ramps me up to speed quickly. The last few days I feel myself fading fast! All I want to do is lie around in bed or on the couch....and then I feel guilty for being so lazy.
I know it's temporary...I'm just not a patient person.

THE GOOD NEWS if need to focus on is my whole body scan was great and my thyroglobulin was very low. Just need to get rid of these stray remants in my thryoid bed and I should be home free!

Old 04-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
(female)

emmymm HB User
Re: RAI yesterday 150 millicuries, feeling nauseous & SO TIRED

Please, anyone with ideas?
I still feel awful today.
Emmy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User

Are you taking 50 mg of Cytomel + your Synthroid ?
That is a high dose of Cytomel I think that is why you are feeling so sick.
I would cut this in half for a few days and see if I feel better.

hope you feel better soon !!

Old 04-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
(female)

kwebster HB User

Hi! Sorry you are feeling sick. I had 150 mill.. for pap cancer 2 years ago. Definately nauseaos afterward. The only thing I could eat was B,L,T's sandwhiches. good thing I brought my own food the the hospital because the smell of it made me vomit. Crackers help and gingerale.

Anyway, I am told the traditional way is the best for ablation. Glad you had it done. The thyrogen to my knowledge is effective for screening but not for TSH build up for RAI. I had the thyrogen last year for a 1 year follow up.

I can imagine you feel horrible. I know my TSH got to 112 and then I had the RAI.

Your doc can prescribe something if it's bad. the tiredness, well it gradually gets better. I assume you back on your meds now?? It should get gradually better. Drink lots of fluid and take lots of showers to get the radiation out of you!!!

Good Luck
Kathy

Old 04-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My Aunt B1 swore by peppermints after her 2 RAIs and chicken soup. She sucked them steadily for two weeks. Went through a whole warehouse store bag full.

Apple sauce and sprite help my son and me when we are nauseous. I wish I could help more, but that is not a personal experience I have shared at this time.

MG

Old 04-27-2008, 05:03 AM   #6
(female)

emmymm HB User

Thank you all for your responses. I quit taking the Cytomel altogether after the first day and I didn't make a difference with the nausea ( and now headache). It's probably the RAI making feel sick. I guess only time will help this one. I had all kinds of plans to clean closets and such while off work for this round of RAI! Ha! Guess that plan goes on the back burner.
Thanks again,
Emmy

Old 04-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

TIme to veg and let the RAI do its own cleaning! Catch up on paperwork, reading, and writing. Keep notes on what your symptom progression is and how long it takes you to recover. I hope that the nausea abates soon. As too the headache is it a pressure headache? Like your sinuses are full of gunk? My aunt got a sinus infection about a week after her RAI. She also had really dry irritated sinuses due to allergies and the onset of high pollen season. You may be in the same boat. A decongestant and antihistamine may help with the headache if it is allergies. Driness my ENT and I will swear by using Ponaris nasal oil. It is OTC, but your pharmacy will most likely have to order it.. not common stock. Then a pH balanced saline rinse like Pretz helps as well.

Good luck. I hope the headache and nausea abate soon!
MG

Old 04-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
(female)

emmymm HB User

mkgbrook-
Yes, actually I am kind of "sinusy" right now...even have a bloddy nostril off and on. I was just getting over a bad cold when I had RAI and I do feel lots of pressure. Thanks for the tips.
Nausea is pretty much over! Yeah! That's the worst!!!
Emmy

Closed Thread