It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

Sillyme03 HB User
Could I have Thyroid problems? My Story

Long story, have been posting on meno and anxiety boards. Will try to keep it as short as possible. Also before this started, was always laid back and relaxed, never anxious or depressed, no history of that at all.

A few weeks before my 43 birthday in 2003 while I was on vacation with family, everything changed. I started with a swallowing problem which escalted to internal shaking, loss of appetite, tired, adrenaline rush feeling, weak, always chilly, and more. I lost lots of weight due to no appetite. If you search under my name you can get more.

This lasted around 5 months, I had tons of tests, bloodwork, brain MRI, Thyroid CT scan, endoscopy and lots more. All negative or if not something minor which would not cause these problems. I finally went to the Cleveland clinic, where they told me I had orthostatic hypotension ( low BP on standing, HR goes up) and gave me some support hose, a mild beta blocker (which I had been on when this started in higher doses, for high BP, then it went to low BP) and told me to eat salt.

I am not sure if it was my mind or coincidence, but within a few weeks most symptoms went away and other than some residual internal shaking, I got my appetite back and was able to function at a "new normal". I was not 100%, but could do stuff with my kids and such. It could be it was just time the anxiety or whatever it was went away, or hormones calmed down. Don't know for sure. I lived with the internal shakes as they became fewer and milder and not daily.

Now its back with a vengance. I had vertigo in December (BPPV) (since resolved, but anxiety from it is not) and that combined with a sick 15 YO DD, it has thrown me back into full blown symptoms big time.

I have internal shakes daily, loss of appetite, tired, frequent bathroom use, can't stay up past 8pm, wake up at 4:30am and can't fall back asleep daily, adrenaline rush feeling every morning, etc. This past week my upper left arm muscles are hurting. I have fibromyalgia, but its very mild. Arm muscle pain is new and recent.

Last week I was diagnosed with Pre-diabetes, but that would not explain all my symptoms.

Ativan .5 in small pieces helps with the internal tremors.

Here are my recent thyroid values. Someone suggested I post and see if anyone can help. I do not have an enlarged thyroid and I had a CT Scan in 2003 and it was normal then. Thyroid recently palpitated by several Dr's, all said normal size and such.

Recent bloodwork results below:

Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct ST4 Free (direct) 1.18 range .61-1.76

TSH 1.433 Range .35-5.5 Note 6 weeks ago this was 1.95

Triiodothyronine (T3) 111 Range 85-205

Just as a note: none of my thyroid tests have ever been abnormal.

I also had a ACTH stimulation test, where I got the ACTH shot and cortisol levels were checked.

Results were 15.1 morning baseline cortisol

half an hour later 42.5

half an hour later ( total one hour after base) 35.3

Endo said all was normal.

It may not be thyroid at all, but you guys are such experts I thought I would ask your opinions.

Thanks so much

Last edited by Sillyme03; 04-27-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
(female)

mattie75 HB User
Re: Could I have Thyroid problems? My Story

glad you posted here.
mattie

Old 04-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

They didn't do any antibody test? *growls and rolls my eyes*

Okay let us look at what you have. Your blood work is incomplete to rule out thyroid or adrenal issues. You also need to look at your blood chemistry evaluated. Something is working on your body and the fact it is hitting a lot of facets at once smacks of autoimmune issues.

Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct ST4 Free (direct) 1.18 range .61-1.76 =>
[1.18-0.61]/[1.76-.61]*100 = 49.5%
TSH 1.433 Range .35-5.5 Note 6 weeks ago this was 1.95 =>
This is in the normal range, but just a bit above optimal.

Triiodothyronine (T3) 111 Range 85-205 =>
[111-85]/[205-85]*100 = 21.6% There is 20% error in the TT3 so you have to take this with a grain of salt, but more often than not this is higher than you actually are.. especially if you are on BCs or estrogen supplements.

I didn't see any hormonal tests to determine if you are in menopause, but your T3 is suboptimal to say the least.

Have you had your B12, ferritin, vit D tested?

You need an FT3 and Hashimoto's antibodies run. TPOAb and TGAb. You need to check why your T3 is lower than your T4 levels. This can be the result of improper conversion of T4 to T3 in the formation of rT3. If this comes back normal you are looking at too much cortisol or something else supressing the T3. Cushings is the first that comes to mind, but the weight loss is odd. Fluxing Fts is common in Hashimoto's and that might be your issue.

So I recommend further testing and going to the Endo may not be the best way to get it.
TPOAb
TGAb
FT3
T4, T3, T3 uptake, RT3
Aldosteronen and sex hormones should be run as well. Maybe visiting your OB might be a better tack for complete evaluation. Make sure that they are testing you fully.
MG

Old 04-27-2008, 06:21 AM   #4
(female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Mattie Thanks for the suggestion, as our othe chat went up in smoke.

Last edited by Sillyme03; 04-27-2008 at 06:22 AM.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
(female)

mattie75 HB User

Yeah I noticed that too.
Listen to these folks. They will help you.
Mattie

Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
(female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I so appreciate it.

I had hormone tests and I am not in menopause. I had FSH and LH and get periods monthly. I don't have the numbers in front of me but one was 4.X and other 6.X. Not in meno per lab and Dr.

I am not on any supplements or Bc or hormones.

I may see if I can get my Gp to run some of these. I will be going back in a few weeks for an A1c (glucose). She seems to be fairly open. The endo ran the other tests, but since I am not fully diabetic, sent me back to my GP.

My B12 was fine, think it was 8xx. Don't have paper here, but it was not low range at all.

I had the usual panels run, like CBC, Lipids, CMP panel. calcium and electrolytes, liver and kidney function, and besides triglycerides and Ldl Cholesterol a little high, (family thing) all else was normal.

Last edited by Sillyme03; 04-27-2008 at 06:33 AM.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Well if you are not in menopause and all your estrogen and such is set. Get your Hashimoto's testing and complete out your thyroid panel as I suggested. Also look into the following post:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

It is my thread on care, concerns and my idea of thyroid basics.

High triglycerides and cholesterol are also a sign of hypoT.
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-27-2008 at 07:20 AM.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
(female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Thanks so much! I will check it out. I do know it could be anxiety, but don't want to be stupid and not check out other possibilities. Sometimes Dr's can't find something right away and they just shove it under the rug saying its anxiety.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Anxiety is another symptom of thyroid dysfunction.

When you are getting testing done, make sure they toss in the vit D and ferritin. These are the other main minerals than can mock hypoT if low. I am not going into an MDs mind set. My chemistry chemical engineering trouble shooting methodology has been the best and quickest means in my opinion to get to the bottom of my issues. What took my mom and her sisters to do.. well 20 years to my 9 months. Now I just need to remove my thyroid and get optimized.

MG

Closed Thread