It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
(female)

nymi06 HB User
Is This Really Menopause Or Just Plain Hashimoto's? Confused..

Sorry for posting two different threads on the same board, i'm hoping there's women around the same age group as me (mid 40's) who can relate to me. I've had Hashi's since 2004 (wasn't diagnosed till 2006, long story) when i was 42. Ever since then i've had very scanty periods, in 2005 i can recall having only 2, they were brought on by medication (BCP's and thyroid meds) a year later 2006 (now minus the bcp's, only taking Synthroid) only 3, and in 2007 1 1/2. I've had none this year, so far.
Late last year (in Dec) i sought help from my GYN, who had me go for a transvaginal ultrasound, the results were normal. Then this past January i had an Endometrial Biopsy, again results were normal. She also had my hormones tested and my FSH was noted to be high (don't know if that is true menopause or from the thyroid, i still have the high antibodies) Since it is now been a year since my last period (3/2 /07) according to her i am officially in menopause.
Here is my concern: My menstrual cycle was affected starting 4 years ago and due to my thyroid disease, also the fact that the endo (who i was seeing at the time) said so as well. So now we know how thyroid disease affects the menstrual cycle (too many or lack of periods) And yes i am having the hot flashes, but i've been having since this whole thyroid **** started when i was 42, now i'm 45...how do you know if it's a thyroid hot flash or a true perimeno or menopausal one?
I wouldn't be concerned about this at all except i am having menstrual cramps, bloating, and pain on my right ovary (which is normal for me just before i bleed, i have no masses or cysts on my ovary) and am quite uncomfortable every few days. I'm also on Armour Thyroid and meds for type 2 diabetes.
Also correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't menopause normally start at the age of 50?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
Re: Is This Reqally Menopause Or Just Plain Hashimoto's? Confused..

Hi nymi I just had to reply to your post, It was like I had wrote your thread.

I am 43 and from the age of around 38-39 my periods were going crazy I was getting 2 a month some months and missing 2 or 3 months at a time.

I also got the ovary pain on the right so bad that I thought it was appendicitis, I would be in so much pain and so scared I did also get some pain on the left but not as bad!!

I got Diagnosed with Hashi's in August the 19th 2005. I had a ultrasound and all was OK back in 2006 but I was told that within a year I will have no more periods my fsh then was 29 I had my fsh done 2 months ago and it is now 83 that is high, I have not had a period since October of last year.

I told my Doctor that I know what I have and he said what, well I said I have (Autoimmune Ovarian Disease) Have you heard of that If not look It up and see what you think...The Doctor's don't say no to me about that one but they are not bothered as they just say Oh well your in the menopause and that it..You are right that it is around 51 for a women to start the menopause but it can be as young as in your 20s for some, just seems funny that thyroid and hormone things seem to go together.. Anyway I must nip out I hope this help a little, MG is good help on here I am not to good at repling as my spelling and not putting things down right is not to good I know what I mean and how I want it to come across but it just don't happen for me...I do go around the houses some times!!

You should read some of my posts it will say somewhere about my ovary pain. take care ...Mad Maz

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 04-28-2008 at 02:51 AM.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Hashimoto's or more particularly hypothyroidism will shut down the reproductive system early. It is a non-essential system so if your T4 and t3 levels are not sufficient for the essential things.. heart, brain, muscle repair, digestion of food, reproduction, etc.. all the way down to skin oil and eye moisture.. your body will protect itself by taking short cuts. May be it starts with dry hair, skin, and eyes.. then cuts the metabolism back a bit, then the heart and muscles scream for more.. so shut down the reproductive system.. but with a Hashimoto's flare.. hey we can dust of the ovaries and kick them back into gear!

My mom and all her sister went through menopause twice. Heck! I am 32 and have went through it once.. but am back on line again. We all have had thyroid issues for a long time. Mine started at the age of 27 when I got pregnant.. or 25 when my husband gave me mono.. not sure which. Pregnancy did put the death nail in my preverbial thyroid coffin for sure.

Read my thyroid care and concerns weekly posts. I just started week 3, week 4 is packed with research and a summary of week 1. There was too much in week 2 to copy into week 3.. so I just referenced it.

The only way to know for sure if it is meno or thyroid is simple. Optimize you thyroid hormone levels.. hold at optimal levels for 2 months. Then get your female hormones tested. If you do this you will allow your body time to get back on line and decide whether or not you are kaput for childbearing.

Good luck and keep us posted. This is a topic i am sure of great concern for others. Share it on my weekly concerns post. Heck I might just research more thoroughly and write another board article on it.

Morning Maz! I just knew someone was typing about me.. my fingers start to itch.. or is it just my Hashimoto's? *shrug* We may never know.
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-28-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
(female)

Letterer HB User

Hi nymi06, I just wanted to chime in - reading your story was eerily familiar. I'm almost 43, and have had very similar symtpoms of flashes and ovary pain, menstrual irregularities, etc. Last year I went three months without a cycle but the doc said my FSH was normal. Then the Hashi's symptoms kicked in and I was finally dx'd in October 2007. I haven't had a period since Feb of this year (time to go get levels checked again) and I've been curious how it fits into the picture. My previous Gyn has been telling me I'm perimenopausal since I was 30!

MG's post makes a lot of sense to me. It sure sounds like alot of Hashi's go through these kinds of symptoms.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
(female)

nymi06 HB User

I so appreciate all your responses, and i feel better knowing i'm not alone! I am considering changing GYN dr's. The one i presently have was very quick to say menopause, even after looking at my test results. She knows i have Hashi's and T2 Diabetes, doesn't even mention that Hashi's could be the real culprit....
I will post my labs, going from the oldest to the most recent:

When my Hashi's symptoms began (in late '04) my gyn suspected my thyroid because my periods had stopped (i was 42 then, if i forgot to mention) She sent me for tests well into '05:

5/3/05:

TSH 0.48
Estradiol <14
FSH 46.2
LH 38.2
Thyroglobulin Ab >90.0
Thyroid Peroxidase Ab 2.3

8/2/06:

Total Testosterone 11
Free Testosterone 1.3
DHEA-S 64
Estradiol 28
LH 10.77
FSH 17.05

12/12/07 (these were taken right about the same time of my endometrial biopsy):

Progesterone 0.5
Prolactin 5.7
FSH 24.8
LH 27.5
HCG,Total <2.0

Reference ranges were too much for me to type. My last thyroglobulin ab were 148.0 (taken 9/20/07)

Mad Maz thank you, no i have never heard of Autoimmune Ovarian Disease, not one dr has ever mentioned it. I will look it up and read your posts as well.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Morning to you MG I bet your little fingers itch most of the time hun as I and many on here say how helpful you are to so many of us.
Bless you and I thankyou for being around for me!!

nymI your FSH levels have gone down over the years not up, so like MG said yours may be the thyriod but yet your thyroid level are in range and you have missed a peroid for a year now that put's you in the menopause I would think.

I am still going down the road of Autoimmune Ovarie Disease with all the ovary pain I had not many Doctors know much about it if not they don't even know about it ....Lets us know how things go..Mad Maz

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 04-29-2008 at 03:12 AM.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
(female)

nymi06 HB User

Autoimmune Ovarian Disease, is that just another word for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? When i brought that up to my GYN last year she said that i probably had it all my life, whcih didnt make any sense to me.
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes last July, however it was in the making a year before, my glucoses all of a sudden were elevated and i was feeling terrible. I've been on Metformin 2000mg and Glyburide 5mg (once a day) I have been reading a lot about Insulin Resistance and PCOS and Dr's usually prescribe Metformin for it, so if i do have PCOS then i'm on the right track....i think.
I have been using a Progesterone Cream to try and balance my hormones and possibly induce a period because i do have occasional PMS and it's so annoying. My GYN did say that i could still have one and to just be aware. That is almost h*** to live with....i could be far away from home, unprepared, and BOOM, what do i do?
I just wish more Dr's knew about PCOS (or Autoimmine Ovarian Disease, as you would say, hope they are the same) We wouldn't have to go on the internet for answers, but i'm happy about that....i get to make new friends!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Re: Is This Really Menopause Or Just Plain Hashimoto's? Confused..

what kind of symtons do you have with Autoimmune Ovarie Disease ? the reason i ask is because iam going through something my thyrold levels are normal or they say it is but they bounce up and down all the time my dr has me on cytomel 25 mgs and as for meno i decided to take the HRT for hotness crying you name it but see thyrold and meno have about the same kind of symtons my dr told me it could be one or the other or maybe both but i get ovary pain on the right side no period since dec 06 but jan 06 i had my left ovary removed i was 43 im now 45 i have even got so bad i ended up in a mental ward because i didnt want to live this way .i was on all the t4 meds none helped is why he put me on cytomel but my tsh is 4.6 t4 0.9 and the ft3 was 1.3 and the ranges are
tsh 0.49-5.50
t4 0.9-1.9 i think
ft3 0.1-1.5
so im not sure which i have since starting on the HRT i have not felt hot but i do cry from time to time alot plus i also have seizures but i had them when i was 4 also and they came back in april 06 but got worse in june 07 now its april 08 and they are worse then ever im on medication for them i went 5 mos with no seizures then boom they came back again so he upped my dose so i dont know whats really going on with me i may have went to meno because of the removal of my ovary but thyrold does run in my family 2 sisters possibly 2 more and 2 brothers and my dad and my mothers dad had a goiter .
thanks.
vickie

Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
(female)

nymi06 HB User
Re: Is This Really Menopause Or Just Plain Hashimoto's? Confused..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickie45 View Post
what kind of symtons do you have with Autoimmune Ovarie Disease ? the reason i ask is because iam going through something my thyrold levels are normal or they say it is but they bounce up and down all the time my dr has me on cytomel 25 mgs and as for meno i decided to take the HRT for hotness crying you name it but see thyrold and meno have about the same kind of symtons my dr told me it could be one or the other or maybe both but i get ovary pain on the right side no period since dec 06 but jan 06 i had my left ovary removed i was 43 im now 45 i have even got so bad i ended up in a mental ward because i didnt want to live this way .i was on all the t4 meds none helped is why he put me on cytomel but my tsh is 4.6 t4 0.9 and the ft3 was 1.3 and the ranges are
tsh 0.49-5.50
t4 0.9-1.9 i think
ft3 0.1-1.5
so im not sure which i have since starting on the HRT i have not felt hot but i do cry from time to time alot plus i also have seizures but i had them when i was 4 also and they came back in april 06 but got worse in june 07 now its april 08 and they are worse then ever im on medication for them i went 5 mos with no seizures then boom they came back again so he upped my dose so i dont know whats really going on with me i may have went to meno because of the removal of my ovary but thyrold does run in my family 2 sisters possibly 2 more and 2 brothers and my dad and my mothers dad had a goiter .
thanks.
vickie
Hi Vickie! While i was never given a diagnosis of AOD (or PCOS), the only noticeable symptom was no periods, along with weight gain, and insulin resistance, which eventually led to Type 2 Diabetes. Do an internet search on both.
Were you ever tested for Autoimmune Antibodies? If that number is high (normal range here in NYS, Quest Labs, is 0.0-2.0) that is a strong indicator of Hashimoto's Disease, which eventually leads to hypothyroidism.
I would love to ask my GYN for Medroxyprogesterone to induce my period (she's given it to me before, but before my thyroid disease was ever discovered), that would relieve a lot of this discomfort i'm in, however i can no longer take the synthetic HRT in any form because of a DVT i developed as a result of taking BCP's (long story on that one)

Closed Thread