It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User
Taking Synthroid At Night Instead Of Morning

Hi,

I am still living the "thyroid nightmare" since my change to Synthroid mid-March. Prior to that I was on Armour for 40 years with no problems and then went into severe heart palpitations for a three month period and the doctor made the switch. I am now seeing an endo for my problem. I have been increased from 50 mcg to 75 mcg and now to 88 mcg two weeks ago. I know in thyroid issues it is a waiting game and have wait for next blood work mid-May. Mostly my life consists of getting out of bed and lying on the couch all day.....that is about it and feeling bad.

I read something about taking Synthroid at night and possibly that it may be better for the conversion process from T4 to T3. I am about willing to try anything. I take the Synthroid in the morning on an empty stomach - don't feel good before I take it and don't feel good after.

From what I have read on the boards - this is a waiting game and a terrible one at that.

Any comments?
Liz

Old 04-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
(male)

roman75 HB User
Re: Taking Synthroid At Night Instead Of Morning

Hi Liz
I switched a couple of months ago.I now take it at night around 10pm.Im on 200 mcg of synthroid.Had TT for thyca in 06.My endo okd it and so far i havent noticed any difference.It does not interfere with my sleep at all and its much easier to plan vitamins and supplements around.
Roman

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 05:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman75 View Post
Hi Liz
I switched a couple of months ago.I now take it at night around 10pm.Im on 200 mcg of synthroid.Had TT for thyca in 06.My endo okd it and so far i havent noticed any difference.It does not interfere with my sleep at all and its much easier to plan vitamins and supplements around.
Roman
Hi,

Does it make you feel any better? I am still adjusting to my latest dosage - .88 mcg and feel so lousy - I was wondering if I would feel better taking it at night. I had read that the conversion from T4 to T3 is better at night - but don't know. I was on Armour for many years and didn't have problems until Dec 2007 and they switched me to Synthroid in March - been mostly on the couch since while they increase dose slowly - it is the pits.

Thanks

Old 04-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your stomach is never as empty at night as it is in the a.m. The main consideration is to get as much of the T4 from the tablet into your bloodstream as possible. If much of it is lost to excretion, there isn't as much there to convert. It's been proven that absorption of T4 from the tablet is as much as 80% from an empty stomach to as little as 40% when food is present in the gut. Besides that, it isn't an immediate conversion, anyway. T4 is stored on the carrier protein and circulates until conversion is needed. So the T4 that is converting better at night might just be the T4 you took a week ago, not what you took hours before.

Taking the med at night can be successful, but it depends whether you have an MD willing to give you the much larger dose that you're probably going to need. Many MDs have a limit they refuse to exceed.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User
For Midwest:Re: Taking Synthroid At Night Instead Of Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Your stomach is never as empty at night as it is in the a.m. The main consideration is to get as much of the T4 from the tablet into your bloodstream as possible. If much of it is lost to excretion, there isn't as much there to convert. It's been proven that absorption of T4 from the tablet is as much as 80% from an empty stomach to as little as 40% when food is present in the gut. Besides that, it isn't an immediate conversion, anyway. T4 is stored on the carrier protein and circulates until conversion is needed. So the T4 that is converting better at night might just be the T4 you took a week ago, not what you took hours before.

Taking the med at night can be successful, but it depends whether you have an MD willing to give you the much larger dose that you're probably going to need. Many MDs have a limit they refuse to exceed.
Thanks, Midwest - this is very informative. It was just a thought. I have only been on Synthroid since mid-March with dose change from 50 mcg to 75 mcg and 15 days ago to .88 mcg. So far no improvement at all. Don't know if I am converting well at all yet. I never took Synthroid - was on Armour for 40 years with no problem until Dec 2007-Mar 2008. I am having a hard time -can hardly get off the couch after getting out of bed. Next blood work will tell more - but no matter what the numbers are - it is how I feel that matters to me. No wonder you have to wait 30 days for bloodwork if it is so slow acting - you said converts as needed - well, I would think it is needed - but guess I have to wait the full time to see. Meanwhile it is more than debilitating. Guess this is not uncommon in "thyroid land".

Thanks,
Liz

Closed Thread