It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
(female)

mattie75 HB User
New question, going to doctor tomorrow

Since I have had high reverse t3, in thinking of getting my thyroid removed, will replacement be difficult after surgery. In other words, will my body try to turn replacement t4 into reverse t3? What about replacement t3?

Also, since reverse t3 can be caused by stress on the body, could my long term mild hyperthyroidism (Graves) have caused this (high reverse t3)?
Mattie

Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: New question, going to doctor tomorrow

Conversion of T4 to T3 is done in the liver. Removal of the thyroid will not effect the liver conversion process of T4 to T3. However supplemental T3 will not be converted to rT3. So the fact that you have poor conversion of T4 to T3 means simply that you will need to supplement both the T4 and T3 that your system needs. Removal of the thyroid will just stop your thyroid from fluxing and causing constant hormonal shifts due to autoimmune stimuli.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
(female)

mattie75 HB User

I guess I sort of had my own theory about what I think happened. I also have not much science background, mine is more in the behaviorial field.

But, having said that, I think my body has been producing way too much T4 for a while and just maybe that was my body, or liver's, way of keeping me from going way hyper. Cleaning out the T4. Each time my T4 was way high, I also had a large amount of reverse T3. That may not make much science sense though. Probably dead wrong. I just ask a lot of questions. The reverse t3 has kept me confused. Is it a thyroid problem, or a liver problem? Mono really did a job on me and my liver.

Mattie

Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You aren't dead wrong girl.

The more T4 you make the more T3 or reverse T3 you will make. There are a few other factors as well. Excess will get dumped out in your stool and such as well. But the more T4 you make the more you will be driven to convert that T4 to T3. T4 is long acting thyroid hormone.. so when you get too much your body tries to burn it off by driving up T3 conversion. In your case this drives up the rT3 conversion. So your observation was sound.

MG

Old 04-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
(female)

mattie75 HB User

It sounded better the way you said it. But, hey it made sense to me!
Mattie

Closed Thread