It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
(female)

Elle952 HB User
Help understanding my thyroid ultrasound

Can anyone please help me understand the following notes from a recent repeat ultrasound (first test was done 6 months ago after dr. felt nodule)

"Within the posterior mid left lobe, is a hypoechoic area, questionable for a nodule, measuring 8 X 6 X 5 mm. This could also represent a small area of heterogeneity. Small 7 mm well defined nodule on the left, separate from the thyroid gland, most compatible with a small lymph node"and "On the right, subtle indistinct nodules within the midpole. There is a small oval complex area within the right lower pole" Comparison to previous ultrasound: The small complex area on the right is unchanged. The 2 vague hypoechoic areas described on the current study are not demonstrated on previous exam, but could be related to subtle areas of heterogeneity as opposed to true nodules. Impression: Small areas of heterogeneity vs. very subtle nodules. There are small lymph nodes identified in the right and left neck region. The left node is stable from previous exam. Right nodes were not previously documented or seen."

My primary care dr. referred me to an endocrinologist, but I can't get an appointment at any good referral for 2-3 months...curiosity and lack of patience will kill me by then. Meanwhile bloodwork shows I'm anemic, low Vitamin D and my liver function tests came back "extremely elevated" and will be retested in 2 weeks.

Thanks for any insights!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: Help understanding my thyroid ultrasound

The ultrasound really needs to be interpreted in relationship to your lab results but I'll take a stab at it. There's areas in your thyroid that are either dead or not functioning proper. Possibly an autoimmune attack??? From the looks of what you have posted here, it does not appear to be cancer which I know is the first thing anyone thinks when they see the word "nodule".

Did your doc put you on vitamin d and iron? If he didn't, you need to discuss that with him pronto.

Sorry you have to wait. It took me over a year to manage to go thru 4 endos with all the silly waits for appts. By the time I'd finally get there, I was ready to rip it out and hand it to them and ask them to live with it for 3 or 4 months. Geez.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Help understanding my thyroid ultrasound

Dito!

It looks like a standard case of multinodular hashimoto's destroyed and suffering thyroid tissue. If you want a second opinion that may be quicker to get into than your ENDO. Look into good ENTs in your area. They will be familiar with the actaul physical anatomy of the thyroid and better able to tell you what should be done in maintainence and care. Mine right now is trying to watch me in 6 month US guided FNA allotments, but.. my thyroid is not shrinking with medication treatment.. so we shall see if I can get it out this year.

MG

Closed Thread