It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
(female)

ptchamp HB User
Got results...what do they mean?

Hi all. After months of trying, I finally got my doctor to order the Free T3 along with the TSH and Free T4 tests. The results are in and I've figured the percentages, but I'm not a numbers person and I have no idea what they mean! Maybe you guys can help me.

TSH - .79 (.34-4.82 UIU/ML)
Free T4 - .52 (.45-1.25 ng/dl)
Free T3 - 297 (230-420 pg/dL)

Percentages work out like this (if I've followed the formula correctly):

Free T4 = 9% (of what?)
Free T3 = 35% (again, of what?)

I'm feeling pretty good (but not great) at 2 grains of Armour, but do you think I would benefit by adding a little more? Any insight anyone can give me would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
(female)

ptchamp HB User
Re: Got results...what do they mean?

MG - fyi - it was Dr. Ryan who finally ordered the T3 for me. My previous visit to him, he told me that it wasn't necessary to test it when I asked, but this past visit I asked again and he said no problem. It was almost too easy.

Anyway, do you think my T3 and T4 still look too low?

Thanks,
ptc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, they're still very low.

When we talk about the percentages, we mean per cent of the range. Most people need the FTs to be at least 50% of their ranges, which is exactly the middle between the high and low ends. Many people need their levels to fall within the upper third of the ranges, around 75%, more or less.

If you still have symptoms, you need more Armour. Your levels reflect that.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Dito on midwest. You are still too low and you are unbalanced. You may need to add synthroid to your Armour to get the T4 in line with the T3. I didn't have a propblem with Dr. Ryan ordering my tests either. I had an issue with what he considered normal and his lack of consideration when it cam to all my symptoms.

Now I have adrenal failure in addition to Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I am afraid he may still be telling me your TSH is normal.. you are fine.. if I had stayed with him. As I said before I love the man and respect him as an internal medicine MD, I just do not think he was the right one for me. I am a realy rare endocrine case. Autoimmune polyendocrine syndrome, Type II.

I had to determine my Hashimoto's.. which Dr. Ryan identified after I had to request and defend my stand on the AI testing. Then fight to get him to refer me to an Endo in town.. which didn't help.. but he could have told me they were all MDums when it came to thyroid care. I may go back one day, but right now I have an MD that let's me ride co-pilot and listened to me when I determined adrenal insufficiency and did the tests to prove it. She began treatment, got my ultrasound and more. All in 3 months. Dr. Ryan was fine with my elevated liver enzymes and increased BP and tachycardia and much more. I was just out of normal range.. but it was still high. He was telling me I was normal.

You are 9% of normal range in active T4 in your blood stream and 35% of normal range in active T3 in your blood stream. Optimal levels pre-menopause is 50-80% of normal range. After menopause levels drop a bit. The fact the T3 is higher can indicate an imbalance in your T4 to T3 conversion. It can also indicate that you didn't need the T3 and Armour just boosts it a bit because it contains T3. It also can indicate that you have adrenal insufficiency as a result of adrenal failure or pituitary failure.

In any of these cases you are still suboptimal in range and undermedicated. You need more medication and you need to investigate the T4 to T3 imbalance.

Check out this post.. get down into it it goes over a lot of material and research. It may just help you.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

MG

Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
(female)

ptchamp HB User

Thanks Midwest and MG...I'm understanding the percentages now, and, yes, they're both still low. The T4 in particular piques my interest because it's only 9% of my optimum range. From that standpoint I can see that I need more medication of some sort, even if its synthroid. I'm reluctant to add more of that, though, because I took it for 17 years and my hair never stopped falling out. After I switched to Armour it did, and now my hair is thicker than it has been since I was first diagnosed.

MG, your MD in town is.... ? I don't go back to Dr. Ryan until September and this might be the perfect opportunity to try out someone else who might be able to help me and not be so closed minded. She might even see a need to look into adrenal insufficiency. I have so many symptoms, including high blood pressure, sleep apnea, joint aches and pains, etc. that I'm not sure I want to blame on age if there might be another culprit.

I appreciate the help from both of you.

Thanks,
pt

Old 05-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Dr. Natalie Johnson with the Integrative Center of Medicine. They are within spitting distance of Erlanger. They have a nice web interface that lists MDs, papers, and practices. You can look it up.. Dr. Jeffrey Jump is the key name to search for... I wanted him first, but he wasn't accepting new patients. Dr. J works for me.. we are both a bit wacky and have a similar sense of humor. You gotta laugh at your self or you will go crazy.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 05-01-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
(female)

ptchamp HB User

Thank you! I just hung up from making an appointment with her on May 21.

pt

Old 05-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well that is five new patients I have recruited.. I wonder if I can talk her into a discount program. You will like her.. she will even cry with you. My favorite response is a glance at your labs and "WHO isn't treat this!?!" She will fight for you and test it all. She is also open to suggestions.

MG

Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am looking into a Birmingham Endo that was interviewed and recommended by a family friend who is a Neuro MD/Ph.D. If she works out, I will recommend her to you as well. I go to Dr. J tomorrow morning, bright and early.

MG

Old 05-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
(female)

ptchamp HB User

I'm looking forward to meeting her and having her work with me. As much as I like Dr. Ryan, I sometimes get the feeling he's just trying to humor me and prove me wrong. I don't know enough about all of this to know what to ask or direct him to look for, but I know I could feel better and all of my aches and pains can't be age related. Hell, I'm only 42 and I should feel better than I do!

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow.

pt

Closed Thread