It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

kerryad HB User
Unhappy graves disease and hypothyroidism.

hi,i'm a 31 yr old female that was recently dx hypothyroidism and also graves disease.i was put on tapazole 30mg and had a skin rash and was put down to 15mg.i was feeling fine the gp sent me to a endo who now wants to change my pills to propyl-thyracil 450mg and also start me with apo-hydro a water pill 25mg.i started that only half the dose for the apo hydro but i'm really nervous about switching to the other thyroid med.i'd like to know if anyone has had a reaction with this med?in the next 2 months the endo wants to do rai.i'm not to sure on this either,what's the long term effect?i have alittle high blood pressure,conversyl 4 mg now the endo wants to put it up to 8mg with also useing apo-propanolol 20mg.there's just to many meds and like i said i seem to react to evverything.i do carry a epi-pen in case of a severe reaction but lucky for me never had to use it.i'm just so frustrated and scared of all this new news.any suggestions or comments would greatly be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: graves disease and hypothyroidism.

Was the "hypothyroidism" a mistype or a misunderstanding? Graves causes hyperthyroidism.

I was switched in the opposite direction from ptu to tapazole cause of a skin rash. I didn't react to the tapazole after the switch. I have multiple med allergies and also have access to an epi pen that I've never had to use. I was also warned that if I ever use it to head straight to the hospital cause hyper and epi don't mix real well.

I'm a little curious as to why your doc is using an ace inhibitor in combination with a diuretic/beta blocker combo. Seems to me that the hypertension may be secondary to the hyperthyroidism and a beta blocker alone might do the trick. A combination of ptu and a propranolol or one of the other betas alone is often enough to control a hypers bp and heart rate. He may have his reasons though. Have you any other medical conditions?

I'm not a big fan of rai especially if medications can control the condition. As I look at it, if a patient feels good, leave it alone and see what happens.

There's nothing to be really scared about. You're allowed to be frustrated, annoyed and maybe a little angry. It's a terribly annoying disease this hyperthyroidism is but I'm into my 49th year of it and still hanging in strong. Just hang in there and hang around here. You'll find a lot of support and answers to your questions. You'll never be alone with this.

Take care,
Helen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Did they test you for Hashimoto's as well? Or are they running under the archaic assumption that you can only have Graves or hashimoto's. It is possible to have both Graves and Hashimoto's. My mom and one of her four sisters did. I do.. but my Endo dismissed my low positive for Graves in favor of my very positive Hashimoto's.

What are your TSH, Ft3, Ft4 levels and ranges? Have they tested your carnitine levels? If these are off they can cause the nasty rashes with Graves. My Aunt N has just Graves and she takes daily L-carnitine supplements OTC and they keep the nastier side effects in check. Do not just start taking it with out getting your MDs approval.

As to graves and hypoT.. well it is very commone that undertreated or untreated Graves can run your thyroid to death literally. It is very common in Graves patients to end up as Hashimoto's patients. I still wonder if this is the bodies way of regulating too much thyroid hormone. No confirming data on it though. My Aunt is on Tapazole and uses a beta-blocker as well. Her rashes and issues were due to the tendancy for carnitine depletion and supplementation fixed her issues. Maybe something similar is occuring for you. I know rashes was her main complaint

MG

Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Mg
How long has your aunt been on Tapazole and how old is she? Do they test her liver enzymes? What dose is she on? Curious about how other docs handle this disease besides pushing the RAI?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I am not sure of her dosage, I want to say it adjusts between 20 or 30 mg. That is pure memory there. She is also on inderal 10 mg. She gets quarterly blood work checks for liver and blood chemistry and thyroid. SHe has been pretty stable for 13 years... had some bad rashes that kept flaring up in her early years, but they went through the motions and finally found out it was due to low carnitine levels and supplementation with L-carnitine fixed it.

She told her MD flat out it was meds and with four children no RAI. If the thyroid had to go.. cut it out. She doesn't muck around when her children might be affected and as a RN and the main income earner. She stuck to her guns.

MG

Old 04-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
(female)

kwebster HB User

Hi!
A good friend of mine was just dx with the very same thing. Apparently only 5% of the population has this. I'm trying to help her out but don't know too much since I am the opposite end. Post pap cancer. Any thoughts would be helpful to pass along.
Kathy

Closed Thread