It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User
Thyroid Uptake Scan - Hyperthyroid-Can Anyone Help?

I had a thyroid uptake scan done and the results came in that it was high, which I guess means that it is leaning towards hyperthyroid. But my blood levels are perfectly fine.
Has anyone ever been diagnosed with hyperthyroid just with the uptake scan?

I also have other issues that are being looked into right now, like high calcium (hyperparathyroid), so I am not sure if my symptoms are coming from the thyroid or parathyroid.

But since this scan came back high, I am just wondering. I have symptoms of hyperthyroid but also of hyperparathyroid.

So, I was just wondering if anyone had ever been diagnosed with just the scan even though the blood work was normal for thyroid.

thanks for any help,

mmee

Old 04-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: Thyroid Uptake Scan - Hyperthyroid-Can Anyone Help?

I was diagnosed hyper from a scan. At the time my scan was done, the hormones were in the normal range. Just. The unusual feature was my tsh was on the higher side and climbing. My hormone levels quickly followed the tsh on it's upward trend and after a while the hormones clearly showed that I was hyper. I have a rare, secondary form of hyperthyroidism that is tsh driven.

Perhaps if you got a copy of your lab results and posted them here, we could give you a little more insight. Oh, my calcium was high too. Hyperthyroidism can cause high calcium levels as well as a lot of other lab anomalies. High wbc count, high liver enzymes, high glucose, screwy electrolytes, etc.. Hyperthyroidism can be diagnosed based on a scan if you are clinically hyperthyroid and show clear evidence of the signs and symptoms. Hormone levels themselves can shift very quickly and can't always be caught on a lab test.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

accessn12,
Thank you so very much for your response. I do not have a copy of my last labs yet, because he wanted to run some more testing on the parathyroid. I will post them as soon as I get them. I am to hear back from my doctor at the end of the week and I should have my lab results then.

How are you doing with your hyperthyroid now? Do you take tapazol or did you have RAI or it removed?

Do you remember how high your calcium was too? And has it come back down now to normal range?

Thanks,
mmee

Old 05-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

You may wanna post the most recent ones you're waiting on and the previous set of thyroid labs. Sometimes trends tell a lot too.

My hyper's a quite a bit different than most people's. I've been hyper all my life. I'm 49. Sometimes just a little. Sometimes a lot. At one point in my early 20's I spent two years on prednisone which helped and another time when I was in my 30's I spent three years on anti-thyroid meds which was a trip to hell for me. They were treating me for "atypical antibody negative graves" which I don't have. I have an uncooperative pituitary that doesn't listen very well. I've spent the last 15 years or so on beta blockers which have helped a lot. At the end of feburary, I started taking thyroid hormones on top of the beta blocker. We're using Cytomel which is a synthetic form of T3 to keep my pituitary from spitting out so much TSH. I feel better thyroid wise than I've ever felt in my life.

Most people with graves that I have talked to do quite well on anti-thyroid meds as long as their doctor is willing to keep a close eye on things and adjust the dose of medications as needed. There's a decent chance of going into remission after a couple years on anti-thyroid meds and some people who don't go into remission do very well taking them for years and years. I think it was on this board that someone said they'd been on em for over 40 years. It's one of those diseases that doesn't have a perfect solution and each individual has to find out what works best for them.

The calcium was 15.something with a range that went up to almost 10 when I went into thyroid storm. It came down but still goes up when I'm too hyper. I had my ionized calcium checked last fall when I wasn't on a hyper spree and it was a little high. I just found out in november that I have early onset osteoporosis from being hyper so long. Hyper messes with a persons calcium and phosphorus metabolism big time.

Last edited by accessn12; 05-01-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

My TSH actually seems to be trending up instead of down like it would for hyper, that is what seems strange to me. And all of my numbers are in normal range.

March 2007 - TSH - 0.959 range .40 - 4.0

September 1, 2007 - TSH 0.9912 range .45 - 5.0
Free T4 - 1.17 range .71 - 1.85
Free T3 - 3.5 range 2.0 - 3.5
calcium 10.1

March 3, 2008 - TSH - 1.20 range .40 - 4.50
Free T4 - 1.4 range .8 - 1.8
Free T3 - 319 range 230 - 420
calcium 10.9

April 4, 2008 - TSH - 1.614 range .20 - 3.0
calcium 11.0

This is basically what I have so far for my numbers, until I get the next round of numbers.
Also- I was wondering have you ever had a parathyroid hormone test done? I am being tested for that too.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

mmee

Old 05-02-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

It looks like all those tests were done thru different labs. Bummer. That makes it a little harder to interpret. I'm at the point now where I don't let anyone run my thyroid numbers except my pcp's office so that they are always processed at the same lab. I have the same labs done each time with tsh, ft4 and ft3. It gives a much clearer picture. At what point in these labs was the scan done? Have you been tested for antibiodys? Are you taking medications of any kind?

I had PTH done last year during the workup for my renal tubular acidosis. That and my diabetes are a result of the many years of being hyper. My PTH level is very normal.

Are you seeing a doctor you can work with or are you still in the process of doctor hopping? I'd be curious to know what your thyroglobulin and reverse t3 levels are. It's unusual to have a rapid uptake without being hyper unless your thyroid is absolutely starved for iodine which isn't very common in today's iodine fortified diets. What was your uptake % and what kinda comments were on the scan report? Is it a generally hot thyroid or are there focal defects?

Another silly question. You ever lived in a house with mice or worked with or had pet mice?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

I wish I knew more of the particulars, but I don't yet. I know I was tested (and i had to beg to get it) for hashi's anitbodies (which were negative) but never for graves.

I have to get a copy of my last labs and of the scan itself. All he told me was that it was higher than it should be. I will know more when I get my copies.

I wanted to let you know that when this all started we had mice in the house for the first time in my life. Do they carry something? I have been tested for lymes 3 times now, since we had the mice in the house.

Thanks for all of your help.
mmee

Old 05-03-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

The particulars become very important when you're trying to figure out what's wrong with you. You need to gather as much info as you can get your hands on and sit down and read it and start asking questions. Gather all your records from when this first started and if you can, previous records to compare em to.

It isn't what mice carry. It's the fact that there's such a thing called human anti-mouse antibodys. They can interfere with some of the assays for TSH and falsely raise the TSH levels. They use serum from mice to perform the TSH test and if your blood doesn't like it, the results will not be accurate. I ran into a woman about a year ago that had that problem. Moved into a house that had mice. She was hyperthyroid but had elevated TSH. They did her TSH at a different lab that used a different assay method and her TSH came back in the hyper range. From what I've read about it, it's not a rare phenomenon. It often happens to people who have a lot of contact with mice.

If you can't get a TSI for graves done thru your doctor, you can always order one online. They're a little pricey but sometimes worth it. But then again, if your doctor isn't willing to work with you to try and find out what's wrong, it's time to dump him and find someone who will.

Closed Thread