It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

RMB HB User
Smile My story..

Hi..
I am new to the board and have been lurking for about a month. I decided to join because this board seems very friendly and supportive. I have responded to a few threads about my situation but have decided to share my story...

At the end of March I went to a dentist checkup appointment. The dentist always finishes an exam by feeling the glands in the neck and the thyroid. Well this time he kept pushing on my thyroid and asked if I knew my thyroid was swollen? I said no..he said I should call my doctor on Monday.

Monday...I was not going to call my doctor. One I was scared and two I was telling myself this was not a big deal. After I told my coworkers...they urged me to call. I called and within 20 minutes I was at the doctor. My doctor agreed..swollen thryroid. Off I went for bloodwork and an ultrasound. Which confirmed a hot nodule and hyperthyroidism. I was referred to an endo..

Wednesday..I have a thyroid scan and uptake test and more bloodwork.

Thursday...I see the endo. He confirms hyperT and says it is not Graves Disease but toxic nodule goiter and does a biopsy.

I had been having symptoms for quite awhile but thought it was stress. My huband had some trouble with his job and we had a huge transition. He is now working in another town and comes home on the weekends or whenever he needs to be home during the week. So that left my plate very full running our two kids, running the house and working. I thought I needed to buck up and keep moving. But no matter how hard I tried I was always tired, shaky and having a jumpy heart! I was always hungry and losing weight....

So I got a beta blocker from the endo. That is helping. The biopsy came back undeterminable so the endo and I decided to move forward with surgery, May 8. I met with the endo and the surgeon yesterday and feel very comfortable with our plan. They will take the right side that has the huge nodule...if the tissue comes back looking suspicious they will take the whole thyroid. I hoping for only the right side and hope the the left half wil kick in and work. I am very anxious to start feeling better.

I am posting my blood work also...the surgeon said he has really never seen a tsh so low....
TSH 0.004
T4 Total 12.5
FT4 2.53
Thyog Ab Scrn<1.8
Thyroglobulin 43
Thyrotropin RA <5

So lesson learned....I should have listened to my body and went to the doctor. I just really thought it was all stress related and I was losing my mind.

Rhonda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: My story..

Welcome to our dysfunctional thyroid family.. officially!

My mom had a partial thyroidectomy and lived for 13 on just half of one. Now the other is burning itself out she is finally having to start meds. She has Graves and Hashomoto's, but her Hashimoto's isn't as active as mine for some reason.. lucky duck. Anyway the main thing you need to know... in case the PT happens and they wave toodles with no further explaination. Keep up with your blood work quarterly, get a US of the remaining nodule yearly, and consult with the Endo yearly on your compiled results. This will keep you on top of things and you will keep the MDs in line as well. Do not wait 13 years till your remaining half dies from over exerting itself. Just the family take with an AI bend on PT care.

I am sure you will do fine and am wishing you well soon.
MG

P.S.
Get and FT3 run.. I bet that is really high.. resulting in the severe TSh suppression.

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-30-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
(female)

RMB HB User
Smile Re: My story..

Thanks for the reply! That is my one fear right now is that I will not the follow up care I need after this is done. I will make sure I am assertive. I do feel somewhat comforted though that I have been taken care of really well up to this point.

I will make sure that I ask for the T3 to be run also when I have my bloodwork checked next. Up until yesterday I had not even seen the lab work numbers.

Right now I just have a lot of jitters when it comes to thinking of surgery but I know in the end it will be for the better!

R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Welcome to our dysfunctional thyroid family.. officially!

My mom had a partial thyroidectomy and lived for 13 on just half of one. Now the other is burning itself out she is finally having to start meds. She has Graves and Hashomoto's, but her Hashimoto's isn't as active as mine for some reason.. lucky duck. Anyway the main thing you need to know... in case the PT happens and they wave toodles with no further explaination. Keep up with your blood work quarterly, get a US of the remaining nodule yearly, and consult with the Endo yearly on your compiled results. This will keep you on top of things and you will keep the MDs in line as well. Do not wait 13 years till your remaining half dies from over exerting itself. Just the family take with an AI bend on PT care.

I am sure you will do fine and am wishing you well soon.
MG

P.S.
Get and FT3 run.. I bet that is really high.. resulting in the severe TSh suppression.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
(female)

kcmynatt HB User
Re: My story..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
Thanks for the reply! That is my one fear right now is that I will not the follow up care I need after this is done. I will make sure I am assertive. I do feel somewhat comforted though that I have been taken care of really well up to this point.

I will make sure that I ask for the T3 to be run also when I have my bloodwork checked next. Up until yesterday I had not even seen the lab work numbers.

Right now I just have a lot of jitters when it comes to thinking of surgery but I know in the end it will be for the better!

R
RMB,
I know the feelings you are having. I to have hyper, but I have 3 nodules. 1 in each lobe and 1 in on the isthmus. They all measure about 3.5 cm. I am not sure how big your nodule is. I am scheduled to have surgery on May 6th.

I am scared, but you are right there have been so many people on this site that help with our questions. I come to the site everyday and read more and more.

If you have any questions and I can help please let me know. I would love to. Just try to stay positive, I know it is hard (well it is for me). My wonderul husband tries to keep my spirits up. Don't have a clue what I would do without him.

Hugs-
Kerri

Closed Thread