It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
(female)

LilyU HB User
Had left thyroidectomy last week....

Hello,
I can't find my original post, but I did have my left thyroidectomy last Wednesday, and the 4cm mass turned out to be the size of a baseball, and wrapped around the esophagus. I am still very tired, and a bit achy in the neck, but healing. Had some major stomach issues after surgery with heartburn and nausea, that I am still trying to get under control.

I am getting some jaw pain, which at first I thought was from the general anesthesia/breathing tube and mouth being held open so long, but now I am not so sure.

Anyone want to share how long their recovery took?

Lily

Old 04-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Had left thyroidectomy last week....

My mom had a left PT as well. She took 6 weeks total for the swelling in the lymph nodes and inflammation to completely go away. Giving yourself 20 min ice wraps of the throat can help. A small bag of peas while lying reclined was perfect for my mom. After two weeks she started alternating with 20 min ice 20 min warm heat.. not HOT.. to loosen the muscles and tension.. then ice. This she did til week 4 I believe.. then it was motrin and acetominophen alternating for a while. My current ENTs post operaration care includes something like this but he uses a 2 hour duration cold/warm/cold/warm/cold/warm. I would stick to cold until things start tightening up.. then use the heat.. warmth to relax the muscles.

Over all it seemed okay for a week then swelling and inflammation hit its stride as the last of the IV meds ran out of her system.. then she had inflammation and lymph nodes screaming at her, "How dare you have some one dig about in here.. etc.." For about 2 weeks.. then everything began to subside to a tune of two weeks. My mom was 45. The younger you are the quicker you heal.

If lymph nodes begin to swell and make the ears hurt. There are lydocaine ear drops you might be able to get your MD to prescribe.. Oticaine. They are liquid gold and help during my tonsillectomy recovery. If he is unwilling, apply a heating pad/wrap about the ears.. that HELPS SOO much.

Hope this helps. I am sure it will get better before you know it. SIZE OF A BASEBALL, DANG GIRL! How did you eat?

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-30-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
(female)

RMB HB User
Smile Re: Had left thyroidectomy last week....

Thanks so much for sharing about your surgery experience. Every little bit of info one shares at this point is helpful for me...I am scheduled for a PT on the 8th....and I think it is the fear of the unknown that makes me feel anxious.

So, did they know the nodule was that big going in to the surgery? That is really hard to imagine having something that big ,that does not belong there in your throat area...wow!

Were you hypo or hyper going in to the surgery? Are the doctors anticipating your right half to take over and function?

I'm glad to hear things went well and that you are on the road to recovery...
Rhonda

Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
(female)

kcmynatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyU View Post
Hello,
I can't find my original post, but I did have my left thyroidectomy last Wednesday, and the 4cm mass turned out to be the size of a baseball, and wrapped around the esophagus. I am still very tired, and a bit achy in the neck, but healing. Had some major stomach issues after surgery with heartburn and nausea, that I am still trying to get under control.

I am getting some jaw pain, which at first I thought was from the general anesthesia/breathing tube and mouth being held open so long, but now I am not so sure.

Anyone want to share how long their recovery took?

Lily

Lily,
I am glad you are finished with your surgery. I am having mine for a TT on May 6th. I am scared to death. Can you tell me how your surgery went and the post op. Thanks
Kerri

Old 05-01-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
(female)

LilyU HB User

Hi all,

The ultrasound had shown a 4cm nodule and a 2.5 cm nodule, so the doctor was surprised when he got in there and it was the size of a baseball. I had not really had any symptoms. Blood work was all fine beforehand. FNA was showing follicullar lesion. The surgery itself was not bad. Two hours, and I was up and talking in the recovery room. My parathyroids were left, and no laryngeal damage so I had no voice problems at all. Terrible headache from the anesthesia. They gave me all IV anesthesia because the anesthesiologist said she could not hold a mask over my face with the way the surgical draping had to go. I did have a drain and stayed over night in the hospital. The drain was nothing. Could not feel it, but had the little bulb hanging on my gown. The nurses drained it maybe three times overnight, and there was a very small amount of blood in it. Did not hurt at all when the doctor took it out in the morning.

Had a slight sore throat, and muscle aching in the neck, but not terrible. I did not take any pain meds in the hospital because they kept offering morphine and I just didn't feel it was that bad. I took Extra Strength Tylenol. Probably not the best choice, but I felt like they kept pumping stuff into me. I had three bags of Ancef, three doses of some steroid (DexaDron?) and the bags of fluid were potassium because they claimed my potassium was low on my pre-op testing (I have never had low potassium so I am not sure about that).

Today is a week out, and I still have a bit of aching in the left side of my neck but the incision is healing nicely. It is itching! The dr. office called on Monday and said it was benign, no cancer. I go to the doctor today. I have been feeling some anxiety, not sure what that is from.

Lily

Last edited by LilyU; 05-01-2008 at 04:28 AM.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Lily---congrats on your benign results!

Everyone heals differently---I didn't take pain meds either, just advil or tylenol pm to help me sleep when I was sore. You probably have a considerable amount of swelling internally, and sometimes when they get the thyroid out, there's squeezing, and you might even have some surge of hormones in your system---which could cause the anxiety. Also, anesthesia does a job on your entire body, and mind.

You sound like you are healing just find considering what was inside. Make sure you get enough hormone to compensate for the thyroid you lost, and you should do well.......

Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
(female)

LilyU HB User

So far I am not on any meds for hormones, since they left the right side in. I guess they are going to see if that picks up the slack!

L.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Keep a close eye on it. Normal people have 2 fully functioning lobes. Too much stress on one will cause it to go hyper to compensate and collapse as well. You need quarterly blood work checks AND a yearly US in my opinion.

MG

Old 05-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
(female)

kcmynatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyU View Post
So far I am not on any meds for hormones, since they left the right side in. I guess they are going to see if that picks up the slack!

L.
Lily,
I am so glad you did so well with surgery. I saw that you are having some nausea(sp) was it very bad after surgery. I hate the thought of vomiting after throat surgery.

Kerri

Old 05-02-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
(female)

LilyU HB User

Hi Kerri,
I did not vomit, just felt nauseous. The recovery room did give me something for it that helped. But no, I never vomited after surgery or after I have been home.

I know it's easy to say, but try not to worry too much. The neck and throat were really not bad at all. I have had more stomach problems which may not even be related to the thyroid surgery.

Lily

Closed Thread