It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
(female)

bittygirl HB User
Hypothyroidism and hormone testing- need advice

Hi,
I last month, I had my cycle for almost the whole month. The time after my regualr cycle was spotting, so it wasnt so bad but i just kept bleeding and my endo told me it wasnt anything to do with the thyroid, so I went to the gyno and had horemore tests. at the time I took the test I was 5 days away from my next cycle and not bleeding at the time. I think this is called the luteal phase. i will give refrences of the Luteal phase.
need to know if this sounds normal.

Progestrone 12.9 (norm luteal is below 31.4)
TSH 2.11
Estradiol (E2) 210 (146-526)
FSH 1.2 (1.5-9.1)
Luteinizing horemone (LH) 3.6 (0.5-16.9)
Testostrone 23 (20-76)

Doc said tests were all normal. I am guessing I was in the Luteal phase at the time. The results look a little strange to me.
any advise? Oh yeah, if it matters, I am 32 years old.
thanks

Old 05-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism and hormone testing- need advice

What is your FT3 and Ft4 levels? Did you get a TPOAb test run? I used to have the occasional month bleed. With out birth control pills I would have 2 sometimes 3 periods a month.. It was like having a continuous bleed.

Your TSH is pushing the new 2.5 upper limit defining hypoT now. You need to explore the thyroid facet more with the Fts and antibodies.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
(female)

bittygirl HB User

not sure what my free T4 and T3 levels are. Im on Armour and my endo will not test those. she said that they are irrevelant because it will be incorrect or something like that becasue I am on Armour you need to test the TSH only. Yeah I think that my TSH is still to high. I had it tested one week later and it went down to 2.11 now but thats still to high.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

WHAT! NO! NO! NO! You need a new ENDO! This one is a quack! Given the T3 in Armour it is the TSH that is invald. You must go by the FTs and symptoms for optimization! OH, Midwest I need you to help me out here!

MG

Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
WHAT! NO! NO! NO! You need a new ENDO! This one is a quack! Given the T3 in Armour it is the TSH that is invald. You must go by the FTs and symptoms for optimization!
All of this is true, Bitty. I wish I could provide written proof that T3 suppresses TSH, but I've never been able to locate any. (Have you found any, MG?) I scoured the physician info at Armour Thyroid and found nothing there, except that T3 can be prescribed in order to suppress TSH for diagnostic scans and such.

You should request the MD to call Armour's physician hotline to ask them about T3, TSH suppression, and optimal dosing. If MG's and my assertion that TSH will be suppressed with Armour when the dose is optimum isn't confirmed by the manufacturer, I think your only option is to find another MD. It will be impossible to get well with that one.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
(female)

bittygirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
All of this is true, Bitty. I wish I could provide written proof that T3 suppresses TSH, but I've never been able to locate any. (Have you found any, MG?) I scoured the physician info at Armour Thyroid and found nothing there, except that T3 can be prescribed in order to suppress TSH for diagnostic scans and such.

You should request the MD to call Armour's physician hotline to ask them about T3, TSH suppression, and optimal dosing. If MG's and my assertion that TSH will be suppressed with Armour when the dose is optimum isn't confirmed by the manufacturer, I think your only option is to find another MD. It will be impossible to get well with that one.

thanks, Im going to have to go doctor shopping again, for the millionth time. I keep getting weirdo endos. Maybe I will have some luck soon.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

My week two post a few pages in has cited articles and statements that show T3 suppresses TSH. Yes I found proof and I did post it. Have a gander. I will look up the post number shortly.

MG

Page 8, posts #36 and 37.

Last edited by mkgbrook; 05-08-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
(female)

bittygirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
My week two post a few pages in has cited articles and statements that show T3 suppresses TSH. Yes I found proof and I did post it. Have a gander. I will look up the post number shortly.

MG

Page 8, posts #36 and 37.

Thank you so much. I found it and printed it out. Kinda confusing but I will see if I can understand. What is TRH?

Old 05-12-2008, 05:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

TRH - Thyrotropin-releasing hormone. It is the hypothalamus's version of TSH. \

The hypothalamus consults with the liver and rest of the body with regard to, "Do my systems need more T2, T3, or T4?" When the need is determined, the hypothalamus sends a signal to the pituitary gland using TRH to tell it we need more thyroid hormone. The pituitary gland then processes the call and outputs TSH to stimulate the thyroid to make the desired quantity of T4 and a fraction of the T3 needed. Any fault in the proverbial chain.. thyroid, pituitary gland, or hypothalamus can cause endocrine and more importantly thyroid issues.

MG

Closed Thread