It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Can being Hypothyroid cause headaches?

I need help and some answers please. I was diagnosed (FINALLY!) in March as hypothyroid. I am exhausted beyond belief, depressed, irritable, have trouble sleeping, low back pain, and get LOTS of headaches. You would think that my body and my mind are falling apart!
I'm wondering if all of this falls into the category of being hypothyroid or if this is something else...please forgive me if this is an ignorant question because I honestly do not know a lot about the disease and have not done much research. When I try, it sounds way over my head and I just don't have the time and energy to try (yeah, I know, what a cop-out).
My doctor prescribed .05 mg of Synthroid but I have been taking .025 because I think it may be contributing to some of the headaches...or maybe the headaches are from the actual disease itself...I really don't know. I'm afraid to take the medicine! This sounds ridiculous - I know.
I have suffered from migraines my entire life and am terrified that Synthroid will be a trigger for me. I also take 75 mg of Topamax every night before bed as well as a muscle relaxer, Zanaflex, for bruxism (I grind my teeth due to TMJ).
So...I guess...does anyone have any good stories to offer about Synthroid? Am I being irresponsible about not taking it? If I start taking it regularly, will my symptoms subside?
Sorry for the rambling and thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Can being Hypothyroid cause headaches?

First join in on my thread here.. it has many url's to look over and read that may help you with all this mess.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=601986[/url]

Second.. headaches and migraines are very common in thyroid disorders. They can also point to other issues as well. There are no stupid questions only bad attitudes. If you learn from your question, it has served its purpose.

Sincerely,
MG

P.S. If you have been on the 25 mcgs of T4 for 2 weeks and have these symptoms go to the 50 mcgs. You are under medicated in my opinion. 25 mcgs is a token dose and rarely works to treat hypoT effectively. Many times it will make you worse and has been known to cause your thyroid to shut down and leave you wanting for much more.

Also what were your pre-medication TSH, Ft3, and Ft4 levels and ranges?

Last edited by mkgbrook; 05-12-2008 at 08:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
(male)

tom429 HB User

LauraLu
What was your TSH?

Hypothyroid made my neck very sore so why wouldn't it give you headaches?

But then again one thing may have nothing to do with the other.

I'm not sure why people are so fearful of synthroid? They'll eat 2 hotdogs!

I laugh at anothers comment about 25mcg of synthroid shutting down the thyroid and needing more....like that is a bad thing.....your thyroid aint workin for crap. The med is supposed to do that. Actually it doesn't shut down the thyroid, it decreases the TSH that stimulates thyroid activity. So hey shut that baby down who cares? It aint doin much anyway. Ask anyone who has had the thyroid removed. The pills work just as well when you titrate the proper dose.

This is all a very systematic process that requires hope, patience and compliance.

You are the consumer and it is your body. Tell the Dr. what you want. Don't be along for a ride.

Best Wishes,
Tom

Old 05-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The main issue with shutting down a thyroid on 25 mcgs alone is that you become even more hypothyroid than your were... In these cases some people wait and hold on for the 3 months or more the MD tells them to wait and suffer needlessly. It comes down to you needed to push for optimal care. You know how you are feeling and live with waht your body is telling you on a day to day basis. The MD doesn't. As long as you support your reasoning and present logical arguements your MD should be willing to give you a dosage boost.

TITRATING to the optimal dose is where people have the most issues getting timely care and the support the deserve.

There are solid scientific grounds and explainations for hypoT headaches and migraines. Simply put some get increased cerebral fluid pressure.. others get the chronic sinus ills and inflammation.. you can have dry eye and visual headache aggravation and much more.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 05-17-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Closed Thread