It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User
My Endo Did Test For Free T3 And Free T4 Afterall - Mg Or Anyone

Hi,

I posted my lab results on the board yesterday as per information from the nurse at my endo's office. I see him tomorrow. However, she didn't mention on the phone about the Free T3 and Free T4 results and I didn't ask because I thought she told me everything. Anyway - here they are - any comments:

T3 Total 144 60-181

T3 Free 258 230-420

T4 Total 10 4.5-12.5

T4 Free. Calculated 3.0 1.6-3.7

COULD YOU TELL ME WHY THE FREE T3 AND FREE T4 ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE TOTALS? I WANT TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM TAKING ABOUT. My free T3 looks on the rather low side, but don't know if I am correct.

No matter what the numbers I am still not feeling well and will tell him that tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks,
Liz

Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: My Endo Did Test For Free T3 And Free T4 Afterall - Mg Or Anyone

Totals are an indirect measure of thyroid hormones. They are thus biased by estrogen supplements, certain medications, your diet and a lot of other factors. There is an inherent error of 20% in the total T tests before you add bias due to medications and diet and supplements.

Free Ts are more accurate. They are a direct measure of active thyroid hormone in your system. They are not biased by diet, supplements, hormone fluxes.. etc. The error is based on the analytical equipment and technique used. On average there is a 2.5-5% inherent error in the free T tests. If you are on birth control pills or pregnant, Free Ts are the only valid test.

SO let us compare.

T3 Total 144 60-181 => 69.4% Oooohhh! This looks so good. *These letters are dripping with sarcasm*

T3 Free 258 230-420 => 14.7% Well here is your suboptimal pain.. shall we say.. WOW look at that bias.

T4 Total 10 4.5-12.5 => 68.75% Well not too bad again and look at that FT4!

T4 Free. Calculated 3.0 1.6-3.7 => 66.67% Wow! They are comparable.

Okay. This tells you that your T3 levels are subpar in comparison to your T4. Now why? Have they tested your reverse T3 to determine conversion efficiency? I can not remember if you got them to run an ACTH and Cortisol test...

You are justified in feeling like shredded cow patties. Your T3 is in the out house.
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Thanks MG - I hope the doctor will do something to help me based on these Free numbers for T3. I will let you know after my appointment tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks for your help with this. So you are saying then, that I need T3? Based on the
T4 totals though he probably won't increase my Synthroid - if that is all T4 - I guess I am not converting well? Wonder what they do in that case - add T3?

Liz

Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Yes if you are not converting T4 to T3 properly you will need T3 supplementation.

The tests to have to determine conversion issues:
rT3
T3 Uptake

If rT3 is high and FT3 low.. you are improperly converting T4 to rT3 versus the needed active T3. If your cortisol and ACTH is High then you are looking at T3 suppression as a result of hyperadrenalism. Either way T3 supplementation is warrented.

However this is not unusual. Statistical studies show 2 out of 3 patients need some T3 to optimize. It makes sense if the thyroid is whacked, how can you expect it to regulate conversion optimally as well.

MG

Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Thanks MG - this helps and I hope when I go to the doctor I can get some relief. I would probably have to be careful with T3 after being on ARmour for 40 years and ending up with those heart palpitations. But I suppose the dose they would give you for this would be small or I have read about time-released T3. I hope he will do something like that -as I think T3 is what makes you feel alive. Just have to be careful about heart stimulating. We will see.........I pray something will help.

You have been very helpful - I will post tomorrow after seeing the endo.
Liz

Closed Thread