It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
(male)

Jinxy285 HB User
My Son age 15 needs Thyroid surgery

Does anyone have any exp with this!!!! I am very scared at the moment. 2 weeks ago my son went to the Dr for a routine visit. The Dr noticed a lump on the right side of his neck. He sent him for an ultrasound which revelead a "growth" on the right lobe of his thyroid. They immediatly sent him for a biopsy which they did with a needle, the result was inconclusive. We went to a consult with a surgeon yesterday and he stated that he needs to remove the right lobe and then it would be immediatly biopsied. If it is benign then he is done and if it is malignant then he would need to remove the remainder of the thyroid except for a small section of the left lobe and my sone would require thyroid meds for the rest of his life.... Any knowledge or similar exp would be appreciated.

thx...

Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: My Son age 15 needs Thyroid surgery

My mom had a precancerous lobe of her thyroid removed. It was a breeze. Her remaining lobe held its own for 13 years before Hashimoto's killed it off.

Look for a good surgeon ask about their complication rate and get your son tested for Hashimoto's. Hashimoto's can activate during any hormonal flux. He just went through puberty and you have a mild positive case of Hashi's as well. All in all it was caught early and you are there for him. We will be there for you as well. Make sure they do the relevent blood work to go along with the surgery.

A good ENT can go in and do a PT with a quick biopsy and turn it into a TT if the biopsy is cancerous. All in all the risk of cancer is very small and the success rate for thyroid surgery and cancer is VERY high.

If thyroid meds are necessary, you and your family have experience and can work with each other. Hopefully it will just result in a PT and all will be well. I am wishing you the best and will keep you and yours in my thoughts.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 05-21-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: My Son age 15 needs Thyroid surgery

You are doing what every good parent does---worrying, but your son is going to be okay.....in terms of the nodule, there's over an 85% chance that it's benign and nothing. I hope you can focus on that.

The surgery itself is not a hard one at all, and your son, at that age, should do amazingly great.

In terms of thyroid cancer, which it probably isn't, it's a curable cancer, especially when one is so young, so there's no worries at that end. But if it is, I would look for a top thyroid cancer/endocronologist after surgery to make sure you are doing the best thing---but either way, he will be just fine and live a long and healthy life.

In terms of living without a thyroid, not a big deal....my contractor, in his 50's, when I told him I had my thyroid removed, showed me a scar on his neck----he said he had his out when he was 10! And he's a pretty brawny guy.

Let us know how everything goes!

Closed Thread