It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Hair Shedding

I'm aware that a lot of people suffering with a thyroid condition are experiencing abnormal and long term hair shedding. I'm curious to know whether many people have noticed a lessening of the shedding once they have become stabilised due to the right dosage/type of medication. I know this doesn't happen over night and i know it depends on exactly what is going on with your thyroid and what other things are going on with your health.

I was newly diagnosed with Hashimoto's and have only been on thyroid med's for about 6 weeks, so i know it's too soon to expect results in the hair department, but i'm tired of the shedding as it's been going on since January 2001.

I'm also on tablets for my adrenal function as well as a pancreatic enzyme capsule with every meal to help digest protein. My ferretin has gone from and 8 to 61 (did drop to 57 as i stopped taking the iron supplement regularly) and i know it's said that hair loss as a result of low ferretin takes 3 - 6 months to see results. My hormones are a bit of a mess too, which i was told are as a result of the thyroid.

So my hair loss could be attributed to any number of the above things, but just wondered about other people and whether they saw results with their hair after a certain time on thyroid treatment. Guess i'm simply looking for a light at the end of the tunnel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
Re: Hair Shedding

I've never actually had my ferretin level checked but I did start taking an iron supplement to see if it would have an affect on my hair shedding. Within 1 1/2 weeks of getting on an iron supplement my hair literally stopped falling out. When I ran out of the iron pills and stayed off of them for about 2weeks it started falling out again. I got back on the iron pills and like clock work around 1 1/2 weeks it stopped falling out again. I was diagnosed hypoT 1 1/2 years ago. I was started out on 50 mcgs levothyroxine and have been on 112 mcgs since around last Dec. My medication does not seem to improve my hair shedding. The only thing that seems to help me is staying on an iron supplement.

I know that isn't the case with everyone but, it is with me for sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
(female)

Tahnee6305 HB User
Wink Re: Hair Shedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
I'm aware that a lot of people suffering with a thyroid condition are experiencing abnormal and long term hair shedding. I'm curious to know whether many people have noticed a lessening of the shedding once they have become stabilised due to the right dosage/type of medication. I know this doesn't happen over night and i know it depends on exactly what is going on with your thyroid and what other things are going on with your health.

I was newly diagnosed with Hashimoto's and have only been on thyroid med's for about 6 weeks, so i know it's too soon to expect results in the hair department, but i'm tired of the shedding as it's been going on since January 2001.

I'm also on tablets for my adrenal function as well as a pancreatic enzyme capsule with every meal to help digest protein. My ferretin has gone from and 8 to 61 (did drop to 57 as i stopped taking the iron supplement regularly) and i know it's said that hair loss as a result of low ferretin takes 3 - 6 months to see results. My hormones are a bit of a mess too, which i was told are as a result of the thyroid.

So my hair loss could be attributed to any number of the above things, but just wondered about other people and whether they saw results with their hair after a certain time on thyroid treatment. Guess i'm simply looking for a light at the end of the tunnel

I've been on thyroid medicine, Tapazole, for almost a year now, and so far, I don't think the hair shedding has gotten any better- and it also drives me nuts! My levels haven't gotten any better though, they've stayed about the same. So maybe the medicine will help you more and get some of the hair loss under control.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
(female)

jinx2418 HB User

Well I've only gotten on better meds for about 2 weeks but my hair is driving me nuts! It falls out everytime I brush, comes out for no reason all the time. But not only that, it seems unhealthy and it's driving me nuts! My hair used to be one of my greatest assets, and now it's brittle, dry, and just dead looking. I really don't like my hair. In fact, it's really bothering me at the moment. I've tried every conditioner, cutting it, styling it, and nothing helps. I notice it on my clothes, my husband's clothes, the couch, the shower... it's EVERYWHERE except on my head! No, it hasn't gotten better!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Supplementation of B12, Mg, Iron, Omega's and EPA and DHA all helped my hair shedding. My heair issues got better when my T3 levels hit 72% or higher. It didn't fix things until I added adrenal support for my dead adrenal glands as well.

So I think if you are out of whack in one or more areas, you need to address them all to fix the issue. Addressing one will just put a patch on things.

MG

Old 05-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
(female)

Saba77 HB User

I also noticed a lot less hair shedding after my dosage was correct.
I was really quite amazed when I first noticed that I didn't need to empty the hair out of my brush all the time.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Thanks for the imput everyone

I 'think' all areas are being addressed. I'm back on an iron supplement (think my ferretin is up in the high 50's so that's decent and not too too low, but my doctor wants it over 100).

The pancreatic enzymes will help me digest and therefore absorb protein much more readily, reduce some/all? inflammation of my thyroid so that should help.

The cortate i'm taking to help with the cortisol needed for my adrenals should help.

The T3 med i'm on (Triiodothyronine) should help.

I feel i have all bases covered, but i also realise my estrogen is high and my testosterone is a 'little' high. I've been told they will stabilise when all of the above kicks in. One can only hope. I also know hormonal imbalance can cause hair loss.

One thing has really bothered me and i've been wracking my brain over this particular issue. If hair stops falling out for a period of time it is usually due to something. Well mid december 2007 to mid january 2008 my hair did stop shedding. It was amazing. I was so excited and happy and thought my problems were over (didn't know about my thyroid and other issues at that point).

Towards the end of january it began shedding more and more again but i couldn't figure out why, what had changed, what was different. I have heard that in a lot of instances your hair wont feel the effects of something you did until 3 months down the track. Finally on sunday it hit me when i was cleaning out my kitchen cupboards and came across my old iodine drops.

I had been lower than low in iodine and my previous doctor, who was treating my low iron, put me on iodine drops. My iodine improved and i never went back on the drops. This is the only 'different' thing that didn't fit in with my normal routine. My new doctor has recently gotten me to do a test to see how much iodine my body loses in a 24hr period. I appear to have the inability to absorb or to hold onto vitamin D, iodine and iron, but my B12 is great for some reason.

Barbara Ann - looks like the key to your hair issues could be your iron. You ought to get a full iron study, just to know where you stand. Both my doctors beleive ferretin should at least be 70+ and better still between 100 - 125.

For me, there is the chance that my key could be the iodine and possibly a little of all the other things i mentioned.

Sometimes i feel like i'm going round in circles with all these issues

Closed Thread