It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User
B12 Sublingual - Any Experience With It For Energy? Mg Or Others

Hi,

I am currently considered in the "normal" range in my labs for hypothryoidism. I have posted on here many times and some are familiar with my saga. When my labs were posted on this board, MG did inform me that my Free T3 was very low and compared it with my Total T3. Total made it look like I was getting 69%, but Free T3 came out around 14.7%. That said - the doctor said it is in normal range - a little low....but he did prescribe Cytomel as a trial. I am taking one half of a 25 mcg tab a day and he lowered my Synthroid form .88 mcg to .75 mcg for now.

That said as a refresher - I have been taking the Cytomel since Thursday - only a few days and because my original problem with all of this started with Armour and heart palpitations and I know Cytomel can do that, I am splitting the dose to twice a day, taking about 6+ mcg in the morning and the rest in the afternoon. Dr. Lupo on the message boards said he usually starts people on 5 mcg a day and then if it seems to help increases it to another 5 - so I thought my plan would work. I have also read that you can take with food and I know it decreases its absorption - but I want it to work, if only slowly - so I have taken it with food. All trying to avoid heart palpitations. So, he said I should know in about a week - and with the way I am doing it I guess it will be longer? Any comments?

Also, wondering if anyone has any experience with the sublingual B12? I have some of them and wondered if they would help my energy - what energy? I have none and I am actually more exhausted than having no energy. Any thoughts on this? I guess it wouldn't hurt me and any energy would be better than none.....

Anyway, that's where I am right now - so would appreciate any input you all may have.

Thanks,
Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: B12 Sublingual - Any Experience With It For Energy? Mg Or Others

Dr. Lupo's advice is sound from what I can see.

As to the B12. I take mine orally and let the tummy and intestines do the work. I have not heard of the sublingual method. Then again my SIL who is an OB floored me with the knowledge that any non-gelitin pill can be inserted up the vagine canal and allowed to dissolve that way. It is the only way to get anti-nausea meds and other important meds in cases of bad stomach upset effected pregnancy. Wow! I still blush thinking of that advice.

As you say you can always try it. It shouldn't hurt. Ask the pharmacist their take on sublingual. See what they say.

MG

Old 05-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post

As to the B12. I take mine orally and let the tummy and intestines do the work. I have not heard of the sublingual method. Then again my SIL who is an OB floored me with the knowledge that any non-gelitin pill can be inserted up the vagine canal and allowed to dissolve that way. It is the only way to get anti-nausea meds and other important meds in cases of bad stomach upset effected pregnancy. Wow! I still blush thinking of that advice.

As you say you can always try it. It shouldn't hurt. Ask the pharmacist their take on sublingual. See what they say.

MG
Thanks for the advice. The sublingual is just a tiny tab melted under the tongue and goes into the bloodstream quickly I guess. I will try it - as I said my energy is so bad I can hardly get out of bed in the morning and when I do I just can hardly do much at all. Guess my thryoid is still "off" no matter what the labs say......otherwise it must be something else....I have thought of about everything you can imagine....

Yes, that tip from the OB is rather different - never heard of that?

Thanks
Liz

Old 05-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post

MG
MG - This is an add-on note to my first response to yours - Have you noticed more energy from the B12? I am still hoping the T3 helps - and doesn't cause too many problems - if not - I don't know what I will do really. He can't up my Synthroid any more, I don't think, because I am in the upper range. They say my labs are "normal" - so my question to him was "you mean I am going to feel this way for the rest of my life - almost non-functioning"? Oh, my that is not acceptable - but I don't know what else he can do about it???????

Liz

Old 05-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

B12 helped with my low B12 and the resulting symptoms.. It mainly helped my migraines and mental alertness. Energy levels were helped most by treating my adrenal insufficiency and hypothyroid.

MG

Closed Thread