It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: hyperthyroid or adrenal fatigue? (caution-long post)

Good luck tomorow. Let us know how you make out. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he can point you in the right direction.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #17
(female)

TV in RV HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by accessn12 View Post

What you need is to get the proper testing done. Once you've got that, you'll have a direction to follow. Right now, you're just groping blindly in the dark.

When you've lowered your meds, how long have you given it before you give up and raise it back up again? It takes about 6 weeks before the body reaches a new steady state.
You're right! I just got back from the endo's office. He said that the other tests were worthless because I didn't wait 6 weeks and because NONE of them showed my T3 account. After proper testing, he is now going to raise my medicine. The previous tests indicated that we should lower it.

My 24 hour urine cortisol test results were actually high. But the doc isn't going to worry about it because we were originally worried that it might be low. He is attributing the high levels to my panic attacks. He says that panic attacks are probably causing the high cortisol and probably not vice versa.

This is crazyness but I'm at least happy that my adrenals are surely not failing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #18
(female)

T4T3hell HB UserT4T3hell HB User

Looking at your original post numbers, it sounds like you have a pituitary tumor.

I have one---and I went through heck to get dx'd.

Low TSH
Low or normal T3 T4

Find a really good neuro-endocrinologist at a place like Emory---a teaching/medical research hospital.

You may be missing some other hormones like "growth hormone"---that would explain some stuff.
I'm on growth hormone too.

Both of these can cause mood swings (for no reason), and extreme muscle weakness.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #19
(female)

Quote:
He is attributing the high levels to my panic attacks. He says that panic attacks are probably causing the high cortisol and probably not vice versa.
Unquote.

Check out Cushings.
Cortisol is known to cause severe anxiety...not the other way around.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #20
(female)

Quote:
He is attributing the high levels to my panic attacks. He says that panic attacks are probably causing the high cortisol and probably not vice versa.
Unquote.

Check out Cushings.
Cortisol is known to cause severe anxiety...not the other way around.
Cushings also causes muscle weakness.
It's a very hard diagnosis---and there are lots of folks who suffer for years with it---because there is no golden/mistake-proof test.

Cushings will cause damage to your adrenals!
Your bones.
Your joints.
Vision.
Hearing.
Balance.
etc...

I know of many people who have been told they do not have Cushings---when they did. Some of them are in wheelchairs due to bone loss in their spine...

Search for video clip of Dr. Theodore Friedman in "The Science of Obesity".
It was a tv show that ran on tv recently. The show was produced by National Geographic.

Last edited by T4T3hell; 07-11-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #21
(female)

TV in RV HB User

Thanks T34T3hell, I going to raise my meds again and see what happens and then we will test everything again.

I'm just going to settle down for a lil' bit and try to put some faith in this new doctor. I've been worrying too much. After all, quite supprisingly, he seemed very thorough and answered all of my questions sometimes before they even left my tounge. He said that my levels were high. I wonder if he meant high normal or high abnormal. I forgot to pick up a copy of my test results. I was just so happy that my adrenals are working at all.

Something that is questionable is that hypothyroid is supposed to lower your urine cortisol results and I was hypo when tested.

I'm just glad they're allowing me to raise my medicine. WHat a privelage

Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #22
(female)

TV in RV HB User

I forgot to mention, he tested my prolactin and it's supposed to be an indication of pituitary tumors. Mine was normal. Would this test be reliable?

Old 07-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #23
(female)

Prolactin secreting adenomas (of the pituitary) are the most common tumors---but they're not the only ones.
Your test results does not mean you don't have a pituitary tumor.
I have a pituitary tumor---but never had problems with prolactin.

Watch out for high iron levels. Too much iron kills.

Good luck with things. It sounds like you're both doing a good job to figure things out.

I hope you get to feeling better soon---keep us posted.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #24
(female)

TV in RV HB User

the only thing about raising my medicine is that it makes my heart beat fast. But it's the only way to have energy. Did this happen to you?

Old 07-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #25
(female)

I was kind of wondering if by raising your meds, you wouldn't have the same problem.
Be careful---and watch out for anything weird or unusual.
I had episodes of rapid heartbeat, feeling faint. Thought I may have been having heart attack. Family and friends didn't understand how serious it was.
Of course, my doctors didn't either.
My TSH levels went from being pretty normal---something like 1.5 to
wild swings: from .0016 to 7.58---due to doctors trying to control it by cutting thyroid doses.
They never thought about the pituitary being involved---they never did much in the way of testing.
Hope you and your doctor figure out some things. My doctors "fired" me----they had no idea what was going on---and they didn't want to be a part of it!

Old 07-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #26
(female)

TV in RV HB User

Yeah my TSH has been having wild swings. I have changed my medicine a billion times in the past 2 years. Did you have to have surgery?

Old 07-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #27
(female)

No, I haven't had to have surgery...I'm not sure if I'm going to have to surgery.
I know that my MRI shows that my pit. has gone from symmetrical to assymetrical.

For now, I just have to monitor my hormones---and make the changes I have to.

Last edited by T4T3hell; 07-12-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #28
(female)

TV in RV HB User

Ok I just got a copy of my 24 hour urine cortisol tests results. Normal range is 0-50. My score was 86. Whay would the doctor not be worried?

Last edited by TV in RV; 07-14-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

They probably are thinking that the test was compromised and you are not to far out of normal range. Most MDs are not comfortable with cortisol and adrenal testing and thus they try and brush it off. You should get a confirmation cortisol test using the saliva test in my opinion and this should give you a picture of when and how consistant your high cortisol levels are.. how is your ACTH? You do need to find someone that is adrenal and pituitary savvy. You have a good medical University with a pituitary expert in the endocrinology center. They would be the most experienced with adrenal issues.

MG

Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #30
(female)

TV in RV HB User

They said that the test could be as much as 5% error. What would comprimised results mean? Is that like, say, if I were to drink caffeine or something to artificially rise my levels?

We didn't do the ACTH because it is $1200 and I don't have insurance.

I want to order the saliva test online. But now after reading other peoples post I'm afraid that my new doc would not want to consider them, you know since he didn't order them, even though they are supposed to be very reliable. Does anyone have any ideah how much the am pm noon night saliva test would cost? It would definately save me time.

Last edited by TV in RV; 07-14-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Closed Thread