It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #31
(female)

T4T3hell HB UserT4T3hell HB User
Re: hyperthyroid or adrenal fatigue? (caution-long post)

Hey TV-RV---
Is there a teaching hospital in your area?
I've been told---I haven't tried it---but I've had others tell me---that if you go to the bigger state run university medical centers---that they have to help you.
Also---when I was in Los Angeles---at one of the biggest and best hospital's around---there was a sign that said "if you do not have insurance, please ask to speak to one of our patient resource helper types, to help you get the medical treatment that you need..."
Obviously, I'm paraphrasing a lot of that----but just 'cause you don't have insurance doesn't mean you don't deserve quality health care.
There's been a big stink in our town---we have two major hospitals---both started by churches---and both are supposed to be run as "non-profits"---but they're making money hand over fist.
I wish there was someone near you who could help you out.
You may want to double check with some folks on the "other board"----I know a couple of women who live in Georgia---just not sure where...
Hang in there---one way or another---you're going to get the help you need and deserve!!!
just

Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #32
(female)

TV in RV HB User
Thumbs up Re: hyperthyroid or adrenal fatigue? (caution-long post)

Yeah I know of a medical school hospital. The University of Illinois. Emory in georgia is definately a good hospital but I am going to be moving to Chicago in a month. I also heard that some medical school hospitals will see you. My friend was just telling me about this last week. I wonder if there's a catch like I have to go to school there. If not that's cool. I might actually be going to school there in a couple of years. I will definatly look into that and some sort of financial assistance through a hospital.

Last edited by TV in RV; 07-14-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #33
(female)

T4T3hell HB UserT4T3hell HB User

No---you don't have to go to school there.
The person who told me about their experience lived here in Idaho like me.
His wife suffered for more than 3 weeks with what doctors kept telling them was the "flu"...she was in real bad pain and was vomiting all the time...

One night---about 10pm---they got in the car and drove to Salt Lake City---about 3-4 hours away---and went to the University of Utah Medical Center (or whatever it's called)...

The couple went to the ER---and the doctors there promised them that they would figure out what was wrong with the wife. It ended up that she had been having severe pancreatitis attacks---not stomach flu like the dumb doctors kept insisting...

Anyone doctor who would have thought it through would have realized that no one "throws up" everything for more than three weeks straight!!!

PS: DH is from Madison, Wisconsin---and I just found out that they have opened up a pituitary center there in Madison. I think it's about a five hour drive up from Chicago. This is definitely a place to check out too. In many cases---places like this have to admit and test people---regardless if they have insurance or not---they get state and federal money---and we all pay for them.

I hope this helps---I've become a pituitary warrior since finding out what was wrong with me. I kept telling my local doctors that everything seemed to keep pointing to a problem with my pituitary. Only one doctor ever even attempted a test---and it was just one.
When it came back "negative"---then she told me that I was a crack addict!!! Honestly, I can't believe the crap doctors will say to get you off their backs!!!
What they don't know can kill you. And they know it. Ugh!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:41 AM   #34
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You have to call and check. Mine was like 80 dollars. Not bad at all. They did it locally at the request of my MD. You have to be wary of ordering and mailing out a saliva test for cortisol. Your samples are best if they stay refrigerated and cold.. that doesn't happen in shipping and storage all the time.

As to compromised/biased. There is always the chance of lab error. You may have a tech that didn't prepare the blood sample adequately etc. All in all you can run with it. Your result is high. This suggests hyperadrenal activity. One hyperadrenal condition is Cushing's. However in Cushings the cortisol levels tend to be a bit higher.. same with a producing adrenal tumor. If the ACTH was high you could be sure that your pituitary gland was hyperactive causing the issues. Have you had a recent MRI or pituitary targeted CT scan? I am not sure how that would compare cost wise to the ACTH blood test. I find it hard to believe the ACTH test costs 1200 dollars. Mine ran just over 100 leaving me to pay 12 dollars of it. That seems like an inflated rate or a specialized ACTH test. I wish I had better news for you and more answers. Unfortunately it takes a lot of money and testing to get to the bottom of endocrine issues.

MG

Closed Thread