HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   hyperthyroid or adrenal fatigue? (caution-long post) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/605006-hyperthyroid-adrenal-fatigue-caution-long-post.html)

TV in RV 05-26-2008 07:52 PM

hyperthyroid or adrenal fatigue? (caution-long post)

I'm going to see an endocrynologist in a week but I don't want to go in there and waste time or get a wrong diagnosis because I'm afraid that I could pass out in a coma any day now. So I want to rule out the option of possible hyperthyroid. I read that fatigue is a side effect of hyperthyroid but Doesn't that accompany extreme bouts of energy. I have NO energy but my TSH is 0.01 and my T3 is high. I am currently taking 100mcgs of syntroid.

Below is a list of symptoms:

1) When I'm at my worst point my T3 and T4 are high normal, TSH is slightly below normal. I'm afraid to bring them down to normal range for fear of being bed ridden

* extreme fatigue all day, I drift in and out of tired spells every other hour, during a spell it is very hard to accomplish anything, I have to lay down and close my eyes, lower back pain, I get very dizzy and feel like I'm going to pass out
* when awoken early from sleep or when I do not get a complete 8 hours I'm so tired that I feel dizzy, nausiated and I have to call out of work
* brain fog
* on weekends I often sleep for 12 hours a night, sometimes 14, one time 16, or 9-10 hours every night until I raise my medicine
* puffy eyes
* and symptoms metioned below

2) When I feel somewhat better my thyroid hormone levels are high and my TSH is almost 0

* extreme fatigue after large meal, 2-3 tired spells during the day that last about 1 hour, mornings are tough, but I have more energy before bedtime
* during a low spell my lower back pain increases and I feel like I have taken sleep medication, I get very dizzy
* constant thirst especialy at night and during sleep, I will drink an entire bottle of water from the point that I lay down until morning unless I eat right before bed (low blood sugar?)
* frequent urination throughout the day, mosty once an hour, but when under stress or a panic attack my thirst increases and I will urinate every 20 mintutes (I've never had any bladder infections) (low sodium?)
* sometimes if I don't get 8 hours of sleep then I experience extreme fatigue, floating sensations, dizzy, nausia, slurred speech, it's as if I'm sleep walking, it's like my brain decides that its time to sleep when I'm out in public. But then some days I'm ok without 8 hours of sleep
* trouble falling asleep when under pressure, trouble staying asleep when excited or stressed but need 8 hours or fatigue is much worse
* cold hands, cold intorelance, when hot I sweat easily, trouble maintaning comfortable temperature
* sensitive to light/wear sunglasses on cloudy days
* easily startled. I jump every time the phone rings
* peroidically I completely lose ability to focus on near objects, even though I normaly see 20/20
* inability to digest any food additives, 100% natural or my stomach swells so tight that I can't finish my meal and sometimes regurgitate foam, the same thing happens with milk and eggs.
* I used to walk or rollerblade every other day but now my legs get sore and weak

Curious2013 05-27-2008 08:35 AM

Re: hyperthyroid or adrenal fatigue? (caution-long post)

I have a lot of these same symptoms, except I am not on any thyroid meds. I have no clue what is wrong with me. I've been told I'm just fine. My TSH is much higher than yours more like 1.2. Hope you find some answers.

Deb123 05-27-2008 12:40 PM

Hi,

I am hypo with adrenal fatigue, actually I think I am full blown Addison's just never been properly diagnosed. Many of your symptoms scream adrenal problems. I would definitely get a 24 hr saliva test done if possible, endo's don't usually do them or buy into the whole adrenal issue. Without enough cortisol the thyroid meds you are taking can't properly do their job. The thyroid hormone will just pool in your blood showing high or high normal labs when in all reality you are still hypo. You also need your Aldosterone tested, the thirst and frequent urinating can be from a low level.

You might want to check out the Addison's board here as you might get more helpful info relating to adrenals on that forum. Good luck, it's a rough ride when you have both adrenals and thyroid rocking your world.

Deb

TV in RV 05-27-2008 07:12 PM

Thanks Deb, I sure hope that he buys into my adrenal issue because I'm gonna die seriously. I'll cry in his office. I read that some doctors refuse to treat unless you have complete adrenal failure. But it seems that your doctor was compliant?

accessn12 05-28-2008 06:47 PM

Hi. I'm hyperthyroid with diabetes. After reading your symptoms, you may wanna monitor your sugar levels for a while and see if they correspond with some of your symptoms. That you can do yourself with a home meter. You can take the results with you.

Best of luck.

mkgbrook 05-28-2008 08:40 PM

Hey! ;)

If you have diabetes, thyroid issues, AND Adrenal issues.. well then you might want to look into autoimmune polyendocrine syndrome type II. Many have it and never know it. The MDs gave it this neat class all by itself.. MANY years ago.. but they just don't assign it to patients. *snort*

What are your exact numbers and ranges on the Total Ts? It is hard to have high T4 and T3 and it be adrenals. You may just be hyperT. Either way looking at your blood sugar is good advice and getting a thorough adrenal and pituitary panel run would be a good idea as well. You know what I recommend from the other post.

I wish you the best looking for your answers.
MG

TV in RV 05-29-2008 10:36 AM

Several months ago my tsh was 0.01. I felt tired but I was able to go to work efficiently. I lowered my synthroid since my TSH was so unbelievably low.

After a few weeks I began to feel horribly tired. I felt like I could pass out in a coma at any time. Then I took a blood test. These were the results.

T3 uptake 36, normal 23-37
T4 8.4, normal 4.5-10.9
T7 3.0 normal 1.4-3.4
TSH 0.16 normal 0.3-3.0

accessn12 05-30-2008 04:53 AM

I'd say you not only need your sugar looked at but has anyone checked you for anemia?

Those weren't the ideal thyroid tests to have run. They don't show the whole picture and are kinda archaic. The ideal tests to have had run woulda been TSH, Free T4 and Free T3. The tests you had done don't give any indication of what your Free T3 level would be and only guesstamate what your Free T4 level might be.

Have you seen the endo yet? If he's any good, he'll snort at those labs and have a proper panel done along with a complete metabolic panel and cbc.

I hope you get this sorted soon. You sound like you feel miserable.

TV in RV 05-30-2008 06:19 AM

Yeah everybody always asks me if i'm anemic. I actually have a lot of iron in my blood though. On my last blood test it was 119, normal is 40-150. I remember it previously being even higher than that.

mkgbrook 05-30-2008 07:52 AM

There are other kinds of anemia.. in particular B12. You need to have your ferritin, B12, and vit D tested. Ferritin is different that straight iron. It has to deal with your iron storage capacity.

MG

accessn12 05-31-2008 03:04 AM

The high iron points even more to being on the hyper side. For some reason, usually the more hyper you get, the higher the iron level. It can even go as far as iron overload. I used to be so proud of my super high iron levels until I realized how grey it can make you look. :eek: It's also not good for you.

Like mg said, get your b12 level tested. Being female, you can almost already assume your vitamin d level isn't very good and you should be supplementing with that anyhow. That was a good point mg. When I found mine was low, I'd swear I did feel somewhat better after the gp had me start supplementing.

I would really love to see the results of a proper thyroid panel, cmp and cbc on you. There's gotta be a clue in one of those somewhere.

TV in RV 05-31-2008 06:34 AM

So is it possble that all of my fatigue is being caused by hyperthyroid? :confused:
Because I have minus 0 energy and if I lower my meds then I get even more tired (like I'm gonna die tired)

accessn12 06-01-2008 03:34 AM

It's possible. When the body's metabolism is going too fast, you get tired. It's like being able to do all your exercises without having to move. Your body does it for you. I find a hyper episode totally exhausting.

But that's not to say that your extreme fatigue is being caused by hyper. Without the free t4 and t3's to look at, I'm not going to venture an opinion on that. I can make a guess based on the suppressed tsh that your t3 level is going to be high but it's also possible for the tsh to shift due to another serious illness going on. Usually not that low though but it could contribute.

What you need is to get the proper testing done. Once you've got that, you'll have a direction to follow. Right now, you're just groping blindly in the dark.

When you've lowered your meds, how long have you given it before you give up and raise it back up again? It takes about 6 weeks before the body reaches a new steady state. Also, are you taking any other meds at all? Rx or over the counter?

TV in RV 06-01-2008 03:16 PM

When I lower my meds I only lower it from maybe 93 mcgs to about 88 mcgs and then I wait about a week or 2. I would wait longer but it's pretty scary and I can't work. I've just been shaving off a little from 100 mcgs. Now I know that 100 mcgs is too much because my heart rate (while sitting for awhile) is 90 BPM. I'm really sensitive to synthroid.

Well I go to my new endo tomomrow. I had to wait 1 1/2 months to get in so I hope this means that he is good.

TV in RV 06-01-2008 03:21 PM

I just realized that you said that it's like doing exercises while your sitting. But no, for me it's like I'm sleeping when I'm standing and my pulse, at about 70 BPM (while sitting), is so soft that I can barely read it.

Thanks guys for trying to help me out. Now we'll see if the Doc can fix me.