It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
(female)

cmill32 HB User
Is It Safe To Be on Synthroid Birth Control at the Same time?

Well I've been on synthroid now for about 3 months and after getting my levels checked last week they upped my dosage from 50mcg to 75mcg. My periods have become VERY irregular (I would miss a month or be late all the time when I used to have very regular cycles). I plan to make an appointment with my obgyn about this issue, and I think she will recommend getting me back on birth control since it regulates my periods. Although her opinion is the best, I am just curious to know now if there are any complications or recommendations to NOT be on birth control while taking another hormone. I used to take ortho-tricyclin lo and it worked great...then about 2 months after getting off of it, my doctor detected that I had hypothyroidism. Does anyone out there take birth birth control pills and synthroid?? Also, does synthroid change the effectiveness of birth control and vise versa? Thank you.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User
Re: Is It Safe To Be on Synthroid Birth Control at the Same time?

I am on ortho novum 7/7/7 and i take 50mcg of levothyroxine. I think it is okay to be on birth control and thyroid medication but you just need to tell your doctor that you are on birth control because i think the birth control can mess with the tsh reading..at least that is my understanding from how my doctor tried to explain it.. so going off or starting birth control might change your thyroid amount you need to take...hope this was helpful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

It's probable that you need to increase your Synthroid dose. Estrogen makes levothyroxine work worse so when on estrogen supplement you're more likely to get hypo symptoms ie. the levothyroxine dose needs to be increased (it's not just the numbers that get messed up ). And when you stop taking the pill you might need to decrease your dose (I had to decrease my levothyroxine dose by 37,5 mcgs when I went totally hyper a couple of months after stopping the pill - and still I felt and my thyroid levels were better than on the pill). Don't take your levothyroxine and the pill at the same time.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 05-28-2008 at 11:49 PM.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Just my 2 cents here but I would not go back on the pill to regulate your periods at this point. I had been on the pill for most of the past 15-20 years, getting off only to have my 2 kids. Then I became hypo and got really sick, and eventually my periods got out of whack, even while taking the pill. Even totally skipped a month here and there. After I thought I had gotten my thyroid regulated my gyno switched my BC pills as I told her I was having irregular periods and also to try to get rid of an ovarian cyst I had developed. I think the switch threw my thyroid out of whack again (as does my naturopathic doc). I felt like I was just hormonally way off balance and that the BC pills were confusing my system more than helping so I went off the pill 6 months ago. My periods are more regular and I feel better being off. I also just had all my other hormones tested to see if everything is in balance...and was told they could not get true testing while I was on the pill. FYI - I just turned 40 so some of this could be due to perimenopause as well.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
(female)

LilyU HB User

I just started 50 mcg of Synthroid, and before I did I called the GYN to make sure it would not cause a problem with my Alesse birth control pills. She said that it's a totally different hormone, so no issues.

L.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyU View Post
She said that it's a totally different hormone, so no issues.
If one doesn't have anything to do with the other how can thyroid disorders for example screw up your cycles Maybe you don't have a problem since you have been on the pill BEFORE you started Synthroid and your dose can be adjusted accordingly.

Closed Thread