It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

marilla HB User
Soy lecithin - harmful?

I know that soy is harmful for people with hypothyroidism, so I've started reading food labels. The thing is, a lot of stuff contains soy lecithin, it's more or less impossible to avoid. Is it harmful for hypos?

Old 05-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Soy lecithin - harmful?

If it helps, when I was on a very restrictive low iodine diet prior to RAI ,my doctor specifically said soy lecithin is fine.

Incidentally---if you have hashimotos, it's probably fine to have soy, unless you find it makes you feel unwell----you shouldn't have to remove it from your diet completely unless you have a specific problem due to it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
(female)

TV in RV HB User

Soy lethicin is just lethicin that is derived from soy. Leithicin can be derived form a number of things. Soy lethicin contains no estrogen. It is the large amount of the phyto-estrogen hormone found in soy that can confuse the thyroid hormone.

I've read that too much soy can make a healthy thyroid unstable and can cause an unstable thyroid to give up.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
(female)

marilla HB User

Thanks, it's a relief to know it's safe - it's practically everywhere. Does soy oil contain oestrogen?
Cos I googled soy and on some sites it said soy oil wasn't harmful to the the thyroid and on others it said that it was...

Old 05-29-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The main issue with soy is hat it is a giotrogen and that it also decreases medicine absorption. So if you are taking your meds fasting and do not eat any soy products. Lectin is normally not the issue. The estrogen and protien derivatives of soy are the big ones to worry over. And if you eat them regularly your medication should be optimized to you and YOUR dietary habits.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 05-29-2008 at 05:53 AM.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
(female)

marilla HB User

I'm still not sure I understand if soy oil is a problem or not? For example, there are these excellent dried tomatoes in soy oil I used to eat. I've stopped eating them since I've been diagnosed. Am I right in not eating them?

Old 06-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
(female)

TV in RV HB User

My nephew is very allergic to soy protein. When my sister was breast feeding him she had to read all of the labels on everything she ate. The nutritionist told her not to worry about soy oil. After all of the refining and proccesing there is maybe only even a minute amount of the bad stuff left. And that isn't enough to worry about.

I know that I fell the effects of soy milk when I drink it. I experimented with it twice since I've been on synthroid because I can't have cows milk. The first time I drank a whole half gallon and one week later I felt super bad. The second time I ate 2 bowls of cereal with soy milk because it was the only thing to eat at my friends house. The very next day I was so tired.

I read my labels. If soy is one of the lesser ingredients then I can't tell a difference.

Last edited by TV in RV; 06-03-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:49 AM   #8
(female)

marilla HB User

Thanks, TV in RV. That's a relief - I can go back to my dried tomatoes in soy oil

Old 06-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
(female)

TV in RV HB User

Your welcome. I've been doing some research this is what I learned.

Isoflavones found in soy, demonstrate toxicity in estrogen sensitive tissues and in the thyroid. Isoflavones are inhibitors of the thyroid peroxidase which makes T3 and T4. Inhibition can be expected to generate thyroid abnormalities, including goiter and autoimmune thyroiditis.

~All the soyfoods in the following list are excellent sources of isoflavones, providing a range of 30 - 50 milligrams per serving.

Roasted soy nuts (1 ounce)
Soy flour (1/2 cup)
Soy grits (1/4 cup)
Textured soy protein (1/2 cup, cooked)
Yellow, green vegetable or black soybeans (1/2 cup, cooked)
Regular soymilk (1 cup)
Tempeh (1/2 cup)
Tofu (1/2 cup)

~Don't other soyfoods or soy ingredients contain isoflavones?

Yes, most do, just in significantly smaller quantities. For example, miso is a good source, but who eats a 1/2 cup of miso, since it is used as an ingredient? Soy hot dogs, soy burgers, soy cheeses, soy yogurts and soy isolate powder do contain isoflavones, but competition with other ingredients and processing all affect amounts of isoflavones. The best way to know is to call the consumer line on the package of food and ask them if they have analyzed for isoflavones. Soy oil doesn't contain isoflavones.

~Are isoflavones destroyed in the cooking process?

Isoflavones are fairly stable, so under normal home or institutional cooking methods they are not destroyed.

Closed Thread