It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

Lesa45 HB User
What Time of Day For Bloodwork?

Quick question everybody! I have hypo/Hashis/nodules and take 50 mcg Synthroid (My starter scrip). I'm getting my 6 week labs on Monday and I'm wondering what time of day I should go. I take my Synthroid first thing in the morning. Also I have shortness of breath and heart palp. What do you make of this? Thanks for the input!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User
Re: What Time of Day For Bloodwork?

It is best to have the blood drawn in the morning. The TSH naturally gets lower later in the day (and you need to see what it is at its highest).

How long have you been having the heart palpitations and shortness of breath?

I suggest that you have a ferritin level done. ferritin = iron stores and no other iron test will take the place of a ferritin level. YOu can have low ferritin (that can cause heart palpitations and shortness of breath) even if your hemoglobin level is fine.

Also, be sure to get a COPY of the ferritin lab report because you need to see your ferritin level .Optimal ferritin is between 70-90 (though the lab reoprt will call as low as 10 "normal", that is way too low

Also, are they going to test your Free T3 & Free T4? Does it say that on your lab request? (total T3 & T3 uptake are NOT the same as FREE).

I would insist on all these test.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

Thanks for the info GCC, I've had shortness of breath for a couple of weeks. I will call and request that I be tested for the labs you mentioned.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

You're welcome.
Good luck.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Also make sure that you wait until after your blood draw to take your thyroid meds! Taking them before a blood draw will give you artificially elevated and scewed FT4/FT3 levels. I go in fasting incase they want to do some special stuff and have a banana and bottle of water on standby with my meds in hand. They stick the needle in and the meds are poped and chased with water. I eat my Naner on the way out of the office. It seems to be the best way for me to go.

MG

Closed Thread