It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
(female)

sandi2932 HB User
hair dry and brittle and breaking off is it thyroid?

I just found out yesterday that I have moderate sleep apnea. I submitted a thread asking if the lack of sleep could cause my hair to become dry and break off and I was told not that they have not heard of that happening. Whenever I diet I cannot loose anymore than 20 pounds and I'm always at a stand still. I was even on Slim Fast drinking two a day and having a regular not heavy meal and didn't loose anything at all. My doctor has had thyroid blood tests done on me but they always come back normal. How many types of thyroid tests are there? Someone posted that the hair problem could be due to a thyroid problem.

Sandi

Old 06-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: hair dry and brittle and breaking off is it thyroid?

First of all, N O R M A L is a deceptive term! Especially when some Doctors (labs) go by the OLD, OLD guidelines of .5-5.5 for TSH. That's a REALLY b-i-g range. Females with TSH of more than 1.something most likely have a subclinical case of HYPO-thyroid. And even if the TSH isn't elevated much, their FREE t3 & Ft4's are likely BOTTOM of the range. Doctors tend to tell you NORMAL when your at the HIGHEST or lowest ends of those ranges. Usually there *IS* room for improvement.

Don't let them tell you NORMAL when you feel anything but that! What are your other symtoms?

Y-E-S - dry, brittle & breakage are ONE Hypo-thy symtom,,, what are your OTHER symtoms? I was one of the lucky ones. All my hair did was get dry/brittle with a little breaking off. i highly recommend Loreal Professional Intense Repair -comes in a jar- its PRICEY & can only be purchased at certain salons & on the net <<~can't tell you where to look sorry!

Hope you get some answers
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
(female)

sandi2932 HB User
Re: hair dry and brittle and breaking off is it thyroid?

I really don't know what to say about the symptoms. Since I was just diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, I don't know if any of it is caused by that. I am going to see the doctor at the sleep clinic tomorrow for a follow-up and was going to ask him if it could be from the Sleep Apnea. I haven't slept deeply in over 3 years and what little sleep I get is horrible. One thing I've had a problem with that started me asking about the thyroid is that no matter how much I try I can't loose weight. I was even on Slim Fast for almost 2 months and didn't loose a pound. The report keeps coming back the thyroid is normal.

Sandi

Old 06-18-2008, 05:10 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Your thyroid labs could be effected by your lack of sleep - the numbers may look "more normal" than they would if you could sleep properly.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

Thanks for the feedback! I will be getting the machine next week. Maybe getting the sleep will make a difference in the dryness of my hair.

Sandi

Closed Thread