It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User
blah....choking here!

hey ladies..and to think i thought that my thyroid is behaving itself. goodness..did i talk too soon. i think it's because i've taken my kids to the park twice. do u think it has something to do with that area? it's a park surrounded by trees...and yesterday when i took the kids there, i woke up with a cold and then today as i was out there, it was windy and i started feeling sick..dizzy..anxiety...headache...just BLAH. then my neck started closing up on me and i really thought i was going to faint. then of course, i started to feel like i need to poop. what a feeling? i hate that feeling. then of course the onset of shortness of breath and this really bad migraine feeling. ugh! i took the kids home and took them a bath and then took myself a bath. and now i notice that both sides of my neck hurts...before it was usually the right side, but now even the left side is feeling pain. i haven't had my thyroid ultrasound in almost a year now. i know it's something i should do but been lagging on it. i guess with all the hussle and bussle of life. it couldn't be because i've been eating healthier u think? i've been drinking more tea and more fruits...do u think the change in 3 days can do that to a person? make me feel so dizzy and choky? it's not fun. i hate this.

thanks for hearing me vent. i am going to turn in for the nite. who knows, maybe i need rest.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
Re: blah....choking here!

Sorry to hear you're feeling so poop.

Its sounds to me as though you've pretty much described anxiety. The tightness of the throat comes with that too and can really make you feel as though you're choking - the more you fret about it the worse it gets - then the shortness of breath kicks in and the headaches - its a horrible viscious circle! Thats not to say that the anxiety isnt a symptom of thyroid disease because it quite possibly is (sorry I dont know your history). I had a huge goiter (thyroid removed 18 months ago now) and also suffered with anxiety (still do) and putting the two together was awful at times.

Hope things start to look up for you soon

Rach

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Iona,

You may be having a Hashi's flare or an oral reaction to something. Have you increased your iodine intake recently? Changed your mineral supplements? I know you have changed your eating habits a bit.. have you added any new foods?

It sounds like one of two scenarios to me:
1) You had a sudden spurt of thyroid activity the sent you on a brief bender. Are you still having these issues or are they relaxing somewhat? The brief spurt of hormone could cause irritable bowels, anxiety, swelling of the thyroid.. etc.
2) Mild oral allergic response: swelling of lymph nodes and throught, breathing restriction, digestive tract irritation (irritable bowels), etc.

Did you get a rash, swollen tongue, all over itching? This would point more to allergies..

Adrenal irritation due to stress can cause brief thyroid highs or lows. If you have been under stress.. I KNOW YOU HAVE WITH THE MOVE AND ALL .. then suddenly that goes away.. your cortisol could have plummeted temporarily allowing for a brief T3 hay day. There are all sorts of scenarios. To rule out thyroid you should get Fts run. How is your heart rate and BP doing?

I hope that you are doing better now.. UGH! Must run the spiced pears are boiling over!
MG

Old 06-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

thanks for the info ladies. but ya you're prolly right mg. i was also thinking that i could've been food poisoned. but i don't have diahrrea. i fail to mention that we had a potluck with some friends at the park yesterday. and i ate this shrimp dish that had coconut milk in it. well i ate it and for some reason shortly after that, asides from the cold, i started feeling real sick. like i thought i was going to faint.

mg, i am under alot of stress. just alot of things on my mind. i feel so beaten up tho. and in just a couple of hours. it hit real quick. i had a headache around 5pm, went to the park w/kids and friends, and then started feeling real sick at 8pm, went to bed around 930pm and now i'm up at 1am. i thought that the sleep would make me feel better...i do feel a bit better but i still have this sick feeling in my gut. like i want to go vomit. and i'm also sneezing like a fiend. i feel better sitting up than laying down. my neck feels so swollen, feels dry. i've forgotten how it was to actually "be sick"...like flu. but man, if this is a flu...it's not fun. my back hurts, my throat..anxiety kicking in. tummy ache. headache. sneezing.

im going to read how to take heart rates and bp now. thanks again. i hope i feel better in the morning. maybe i'll go and have a meeting with mr. toilet.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Well the other thing you can do is take an OTC antihistamine. If it is an allergy the antihistamine will give you relief. I keep liquid children's benedryl on hand for that purpose. I also have zyrtec on hand at all times. You can by that OTC now.

I am allergic to both coconut and shrimp that would have done me in. Shrimp has a good bit of iodine in it and that can ramp your thyroid. Iodine and Hashimoto's people do not go well together some times. My mom can not eat shrimp either. Coconut hits me with in 15 minutes of consumption.

I am thinking it is food related. You should try an antihistamine.

MG

Old 06-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

i survived the nite...like i always do. but man that was a hard nite. i totally forgot how it felt to feel "sick"...like the flu. and now i wake up feeling still sick but another kind of sick. it's like i have a cold coming on. sniffles, throat aches, headache, i feel tired, my eyes hurt, shortness of breath. u know that congested feeling. and my throat is feeling tight. my husband checked on me this morning (which was sweet of him) and told me that i prolly just need rest. he didn't even wake me up to cook him breakfast. other nites when i go to bed at 2am, he still wakes me up to make him breakfast at 730. i guess he knows im not feeling well.

mg, u know ur prolly right. i could prolly have gotten a rush from the shrimp. i usually don't get a rush from shrimp...but who knows the mixture of coconut milk and shrimp must've done a number to me. and also there could've been msg in it. which usually makes me feel sick as well, when i eat alot of it. which i didn't eat alot of it, but just a mixture.

i'm going to take it slow today, i hope to feel better. i'm not one who usually likes to take meds..only my synthroid and iron i take religiously but other than that, i don't take anything else. i'll look for alternative remedies to help with this cold. thanks for the love!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
(female)

girl99 HB User

how does one start a new thread? Sorry to interrupt!!!??!

Last edited by girl99; 06-20-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

girl: on the main thyroid page...u'll see an icon that says "new thread" click on that and then you'll be on ur way to posting a new thread.

Closed Thread