It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
(female)

stacey2008 HB User
Feel something get stuck out of position in my neck... HELP!!!

I know, I know - this topic has been discussed at some length... But, it's been awhile since I've been here, and I am having some trouble with my neck.

Just a little background - I have a small goiter, with a posterior nodule (last measurement was 1.7 about 5 months ago). I am on Synthroid...

Now, every few days, I get a painful sensation that something is "sticking" in my neck area. The pain seems to radiate from the thyroid area, and it feels very "structutral"... in other words, something in my internal neck area (i.e. thyroid, muscle, etc..) gets stuck into a painful position, which is noticeable when swallowing. Eventually whatever "it" is, clicks back into position, and the pain finally subsides. It feels like something gets wedged out of position...

Does this sound like my thyroid or nodule? Or is it likely something else? I am SUPER busy lately with work, family, and upcoming vacation, and am not sure if I want to make a doctor appointment...

Let me know your thoughts... THANKS!!!!!

Last edited by stacey2008; 06-23-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User
Re: Feel something get stuck out of position in my neck... HELP!!!

i don't know the logistics of it all..but i did want to say that i get that feeling too. the right side of my thyroid is slightly larger than my left, but at times, my left side acts up. not making me even turn to my left side. almost like a stiff neck but the pain is coming right where the thyroid is at. and i definitely feel my right side much more larger. i can press on my neck and i feel a "bruised" sensation there all the time. i could be wrong but i just wanted to say that when our lives get all hectic and busy, sometimes our thyroid does crazy stuff to make us slow down a bit. like "hey...SLOW DOWN or else imma hurt you". so the hussles and bussels of life can make the thyroid act up. believe me, i don't listen to "slow down" well either. but we all need to take some time for ourselves. just to sit down and actually take a breather. it wont hurt to go to the doctors either to see if there is really something serious happening in there. goodluck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I have that chronic feeling as well as my food getting stuck when I swallow. It corresponds to my nodule growth despite medication. I think you need to get to the MD and arrange another US appointment with an FNA. Your nodule is large enough it should be biopsied on a 6 month schedule. Once a nodule begins to interfere with your ability to swallow, breathe, or speak you have medical grounds for removal.

MG

Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User

Just wanted to say I have the SAME feeling in my neck. Sometimes, if I turn my head at a funny angle or try to swallow with my head turned, it feels like something pops out of place, almost feels like a vein or artery that's been pushed over a growth. It is PAINFUL to try to get it back. Weird! If you find out what it is, please tell us, lol.

Are you all on Synthroid to shrink your goiters/nodules?

Iona, you're hilarious! I love what you said about the thyroid trying to slow you down. I'm sure you are right about this. When will we all listen?

Old 06-25-2008, 05:05 AM   #5
(female)

stacey2008 HB User

DesertRose - you seem to be experiencing the exact same thing! You describe it very well... Do you think it is our thyroid glands, or something else?

Under "normal" conditions I wouldn't have considered that it was the thyroid - but given the fact that I have a small goiter and nodule I figured it was a possibility - what do you think?????

Last edited by stacey2008; 06-25-2008 at 05:05 AM.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I think you had a US 5 months back and it is time for another one. Make sure that you call and tell them of your symptoms. Every 6 months is current standard operating procedure for US with FNA if your thyroid nodules are growing. Depending on the complexity of the growth and system you may have to go back in every 3-4 months. Personally if I had to go in that often my ENT would be getting blasted about removing the darned thing. Humm.. he is getting that pressure.

MG

Old 06-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User

LOL, Stacey, I will ask my Dr. tomorrow, that was a symptom I forgot to mention. Maybe it does have something to do with the goiters! Are your goiters hard like mine?

Mkg, I like the way you think. Let me tell ya, if I have to go in for an U/S-guided FNA every 6 months, I am FORCING the procedure. NOT worth it to just sit around and wait for it to turn into cancer.

Closed Thread