It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

paperclippy HB User
question about TSH ranges

So, the first time I had my thyroid tested, they only tested TSH and it came back as 2.44 and the range was 0.4-5.5, so they told me there was nothing wrong with me and all my symptoms weren't connected. When I did get diagnosed (TSH 8.03, range 0.4-4.5), I couldn't figure out why I had had a "normal" test the first time around, when I had nearly all of the same symptoms.

I've seen people on this board saying that your TSH should optimally be around 1.0. So why is it that the normal range goes up to 4.5 or 5.5? Why was I told I was fine the first time around? Why did I have to let it get so bad before getting diagnosed? Is this some failure of the medical system, or is it that I personally have a different "normal" range for myself?

Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
Re: question about TSH ranges

Hi Paperclippy

The TSH ranges have actually changed over the years and it appears that your lab is actually using the old ranges. The new range is up to 2.5 although mine still uses 3.00 - if your lab had used the old range they would have seen on your first lot of tests that there was a problem.

HTH

Rach

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Re: question about TSH ranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
So why is it that the normal range goes up to 4.5 or 5.5? Why was I told I was fine the first time around? Why did I have to let it get so bad before getting diagnosed? Is this some failure of the medical system, or is it that I personally have a different "normal" range for myself?
Lack of knowledge, experience would be my best answer to the first question. Same thing happened to me. It was 2 weeks after I'd had one enlarged, non-cancerous Thy-lobe removed. My TSH came back 4.73 and I was told NORMAL & didn't know to QUESTION my Doctor. She didn't THINK to hand me another lab slip as I'd just had Thy surgery, but did comment how GOOD my neck looked. And though I saw her a few more times in next months, it was *me* asking the right question before I got on Thyroid med. It wasn't rocket science as I was down to ONE thy lobe

Closed Thread