It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
(female)

Sangria HB User
Question High Thyroid Peroxidase Result?

Hello to all,

Iíve been perusing the boards trying to get educated on Thyroid function but it seems like pure chemistry class, I have information overload, and could do with some straight advice please.

Recently feeling unwell (worse than normal) I had some blood tests which confirmed that I started menopause (Iím 43). I also have a multinodular goiter (had it for years) with one nodule just over 2cm, which was biopsied last week - results not in yet. I insisted on a Thyroid blood panel the results are as follows:

TSH: 0.80 (0.27 - 4.20) A month previously my TSH was 1.14 when they tested for menopause.
FT3: 5.1 (3.9 - 6.7)

Antibodies test:
Thyroid Peroxidase: 159 (<50)
TSH receptor antibody: <0.2 (0 - 0.4)

They were supposed to do a FT4 but for some reason it wasnít done. It took over a month just to get these results.

The secretary who gave me the results said the antibodies was high and this means that I will end up with an under active Thyroid. I take a pinch of salt with any secretaries theories.

I havenít felt well in years. Right now I suffer extreme tiredness, depression, anxiety, hot flushes, sensitive to cold, sinus allergies, stomach aches and pains, general aches and pains, no concentration - the thing is, I donít know whats Menopause and whats Thyroid, whats normal and what needs treatmentÖ

I have to wait a month for my appointment with the Endocrinologist. In the meantime can somebody tell me what a high result for antibodies means? I have read that the antibodies will destroy my Thyroid? What can I do about it? Whats the treatment? Do I need other tests?

Should I be doing something right now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: High Thyroid Peroxidase Result?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangria View Post
Hello Antibodies test:
Thyroid Peroxidase: 159 (<50)
The secretary who gave me the results said the antibodies was high and this means that I will end up with an under active Thyroid. I take a pinch of salt with any secretaries theories.
This time believe the secretary High antibodies mean Hashimoto's thyroiditis and in time you will end up hypoT (you maybe are already). There's not much you can do about that - Hashi's aims to destroy your thyroid. One thing you can do is to start taking large doses of selenium (like 200 mcgs a day) - it may help bring those antibodies down a bit but it's not a cure. You need to have your TSH followed along with FT4 (FT3 may be pretty useless in detecting hypoT since it may be well within ranges and you may still be hypoT).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-09-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
(female)

Sangria HB User

Thanks for the feedback. Will research into Hashimotos and get some Selenium in the meantime.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

A positive TPOAb test means you have the autoimmune condition Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It is a hereditary genetic dominant autoimmune condition that tends to run heavy in females of a family. Onset is most common after/during pregnancy or during menopause. Hashimoto's is a genetic dysfunction where for some reason your immune system sees the thyroid and the NECESSARY hormone that it produces as evil and an invader. At this time your immune system sends out TPOAb and TGAb and systematically chews and destroys the thyroid until it is completely dead. This can take months to years. It is a roller coaster and getting adequate care is a chore.

So the secretary is right you will go hypoT. The TRAb was a test for Graves disease. It seems your MD was hedging their bets and testing your for Hashimoto's and Graves. Give them a pat on their back for running that antibodies with out being asked.

You should look up and read all you can find on Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family.

MG

Old 07-11-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
(female)

Sangria HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
So the secretary is right you will go hypoT. The TRAb was a test for Graves disease. It seems your MD was hedging their bets and testing your for Hashimoto's and Graves. Give them a pat on their back for running that antibodies with out being asked.
MG
I am thinking of something stronger than a pat on the back. The Endo turned out to be a locum consultant physician, standing in for 'Mr S' the Endo, who shooed me out of his office 6 years ago with a multi-nodular goiter. The locum was only following guidlines (biopsy anything over 2cm) suggesting we do a biopsy of a large nodule in my Thyroid and that would have been it. But I am sick and tired (litterally) of being told everything is fine and not to worry. I had read about the tests for thyroid function, I wrote them down on a scrap of paper and took them in to the appointment with me. I demanded he do a full thyroid panel and antibodies, even though I didnt even know at the time, what they were. The locum consultant was a lot easier to talk to than 'Mr S' Endo, otherwise I might have been shooed out again without tests. The Locum then wrote a letter to my GP, saying that (I quote from the letter) "I have also requested thyroid antibodies to reassure her that there is no evidence of autoimmune disease"...!!!!!!!!!!! So you see I am just beginning to learn first hand what trouble I am into with this thing. I am still waiting on results of the biopsy, I am scared its cancer.

My husband thinks I am lazy and should "snap out of it".

It would all be a lot easier to deal with if only I werent starting out from a place of depression and anxiety, then the lethargy takes away whatevers left. Today its a sinus infection.

Thanks for your comments, very much appreciated.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Sangria,

We all go through it. Our hubbies can not understand and our children? Well they just know mommy doesn't feel well or is sick.

My ENT just told me that thyroid biopsies post mortum show that MANY people have nodules and thyroid cancer all their lives and it never impacts them. The key is catching it when it begins to spread or get large enough to escape the preverbial box. 2 cm is not to bad. I have seen much larger nodules. 10&#37; of nodules turn out to be cancerous and of those less than 1% are the nasty kind. So all in all your odds are good that it will be fine. The key is does the pain in your neck inhibit your ability to eat and swallow. If it does you need to get a referal to an ENT and look into surgical removal of the masses.

I am right there with you.. I have Hashimoto's and Graves Disease. Talk about a thyroid and body in constant conflict. The waring seems to have caused my adrenal glands to kill off too.. so I am just messed up. But now I am on a T4 supplement and cortisone to help the adrenal insufficiency and things have improved. My neck hurts all the time and I choke on my supper, but all in all things could be worse. My T4 supplementation has caused a marginal shrinking in my nodule.. you might be able to get medication to shrink yours.. if they are unwilling to treat your hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's proactively.

All in all try and be patient, but diligent in your care. Stay involved and keep up with us. You are not alone. Welcome to OUR dysfunctional thyroid family. I have a series of threads that may help you some. If not with accepted NHS levels.. with the quirks and general aspects of thyroid care. You might want to have a look at my Week 2 thread which is a general review of the basics we should expect and fight for...

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

I am wishing you well and get a copy of your biopsy and US report when in comes back. Many can help you with interpretation there as well.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 07-11-2008 at 08:27 AM.

Closed Thread