It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
(female)

probegar11 HB User
Thyroglobulin is high

Hi all-

I just received my labs. I am concerned about my thyroglobulin levels.
In the past tests my TSH has risen on each test it is 3.5 (normal range 1-5.1)
my thyroglobulin(TG) level is 54 (normal range 1-34). What does this mean. I am currently taking 50 levothyroxine and feel okay, a little tired and achy but primary has diagnosed me with the lovely fibromyalgia... Maybe it is all due to my thyroid. I am having blood work again in 6 weeks and will see my ENT the week after that. Could this mean cancer? I have a 4 year old and I am soooo worried! Thanks for any help you could give. My antithyroglobulin antibodies were in the 600's this past winter as well. He did not test them this time... Not sure if that makes a difference. I have not gotten a diagnosis from doctor (like Hashimotos) as he says things are changing too much to make a definitive decision.....

Old 07-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Thyroglobulin is high

Your TGAB were in the 600's! You have Hashimoto's. You want that confirmed.. get a TPOAb run as well.

As to the rising TG. It could be a reponse of your thyroid trying to compensate for the destruction of thyroid tissue and production. You can not use TG as a tumor marker test unless your thyroid is gone. TG levels will flux as your need to transport and make T4 changes. With Hashimoto's that is a roller coaster.

The only way to confirm/rule out cancer is to have your thyroid tissue removed and biopsied. Have you had a FNA or core biopsy? DO you have nodules? All in all I think you are alright and don't have much to worry about. Keep reading and researching and take note of all your questions. GO into your MDs with these questions and keep after them til you get your answers.

Your TSH of 3.5 suggests that you are still hypothyroid. You need Ft3 and Ft4 run in addition to a TPOAb if you haven't had that done. This will tell you if your thyroid hormones are balanced and if the 40 mcgs of T4 is sufficient. I am betting that you are under medicated at this time.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

This has nothing to do with cancer, you have a thyroid problem, like many many others, and it's nothing deadly.

Thyroglobulin is a thyroid cancer tumor marker----only if you have had a nodule/thryoid removed, and it doesn't sound like you even have nodules---and since you have thyroglobulin antibodies, it wouldn't even be a tool for that.

Try not to worry, and try to find a doctor that will work with you on your thyroid level problems, so that you will feel better.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
(female)

probegar11 HB User

Thanks for all of the information. I will stop worrying. My ENT seems very willing to help me out. He usually asks how I am feeling and do I think that a change in medication is necessary based on how I feel. I think I will have him raise my meds this time as I am walking and or using the eliptical 3 miles a day and hiking 12 to 12.5 miles once a month and I am still gaining weight. thanks again for your quick responses and setting my mind at ease. I can live with Hashimotos!!!

Closed Thread