It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB User
Question Update and need advice!!!! HELP please!!!

I just wanted to let everyone know my completion thyroidectomy went well. They were an hour late starting it because they couldn't get an IV in me but the surgery itself went very well. My calcium levels are normal and no damage to the vocal nerve this time. I have had a lot of swelling but most of it was external this time so eating and swollowing hasn't been an issue at all. I'm still not feeling up to sitting up a lot and being on the computer much but I wanted to give you all a quick update. They sent the thyroid away for biopsy testing and they don't have the results yet I'll let you know when I hear anything. I need to go lay down but I'll try to keep everyone informed as I find out more.
Hope all of you are doing well!!
cardshark

Last edited by cardshark; 07-14-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
(female)

RMB HB User
Smile Re: Surgery info update!

Thanks for the update Cardshark! I am so glad to hear everything went well, I am sure that is such a relief to you. I hope you hear good results from the path report.

Keep resting...that is the best medicine for you at this point! Keep us posted on how you are doing...
Rhonda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
(female)

KrissyMae18 HB User
Wink Re: Surgery info update!

I'm so glad that you are over the hump so to speak and on the road to recovery. My TT is scheduled for the 22nd and I am so nervous!!! I can't wait for it to be all done and I can be on the road to recovery as well....take care and get some rest and let us know what happens.

Kristen

Old 07-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Surgery info update!

Glad that all went well & your on you WAY

Sue

Old 07-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Re: Surgery info update!

Sending you healing thoughts. Take care! Let us know how you do with the healing process.

Last edited by osteoblast; 07-12-2008 at 08:15 PM.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
(female)

tuscansam6 HB User

Hi Cardshark, Glad your surgery went well, I'm new on the boards, I joined yesterday after searching for answers about my thyroid condition. Take care of yourself. I hope my surgery will go as well.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
(female)

Question Re: Surgery info update! update & need advice

Hi everyone! I'm feeling better and my swelling has gone down a lot; although, internal swelling is a little worse. I'm hoping to go to the store and get some tylenol and go off the percocet tomorrow.

I also got a phone call from my surgeons office with the biopsy results. Most of the results were good but one of the tumors was cancerous. I am very close to my parents and normally I would have called my Dad immediately and let him know; however, my parents left for vacation Sun. morning and won't be back until late on the 23rd which is there wedding anniversary (31 years). I know they are going to want to know but they have had a lot of stress lately my dad especially and this is supposed to be their chance to relax. I don't know if I should call them and tell them or wait until they get home. I know other people are also going to be asking and I don't want to tell others before my parents but I don't want to lie nor ruin my parents vacation. Any advice is much appreciated!
Thanks in advance
cardshark

Old 07-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User

Grats on the successful surgery! I'm SO glad you are recovering well, despite swelling issues. I'm sure you'll have a complete recovery before long!

Tough issue about whether to tell parents on vacation or not. Not sure if it's the right thing, but I think I WOULD tell them. After all, it's not all bad news. They got it out! Just think and talk positively. Remind them that it's good it's out of your body and the follow-up treatment (so I'm told) is very easy. What kind of treatment are you going to have? RAI? Let me know, we'll go through it together.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
(female)

I'm not doing any other treatments. I don't meet with my surgeon for my post op until August 8th. They originally scheduled it for the 1st but I am going to be gone that day and the soonest I can get in after that is the 8th. My surgeon is on vacation this week and next which is why it's not till august. So basically all I know is what his nurse practitioner told me on the phone today and that is that there was a small spot that was papillary carcinoma. She said as small as the tumor was it is hard to tell what the doctor will recommend but this is the 4th time I've had cancer and I said before the surgery no matter what I'm done. I'll do surgery but I'm not doing any RAI, chemo, radiation, nothing. I'm done. I'm only 25 years old and most of the health problems I have are due to long term effects of cancer treatments. I'm not putting myself through it anymore.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Cardshark,
I am happy for you that your surgery is done, sorry about the small cancer finding. It sounds like you have had more than your share of cancer issues. No one should have to go through that 4 times. Honestly, even once is too much!! I hope that you recoup quickly, and feel well real soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Lori

Old 07-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
(female)

RMB HB User
Smile Re: Surgery info update!

Cardshark,
I'm glad to hear that you are feeling good. The swollen feeling in the neck is a bugger. Just when I think I am over that hump, back it comes. I have decided that area has gone through a lot of trauma and just needs time to get back to normal.

I am sorry to hear about your news from the doctor. Sounds like you have had a lot on your plate previously....too much for a young person. I am sending lots of warm fuzzies your way .....

I'm not for sure what to say about your parents and telling them...that is a hard decision. Maybe just think about it overnight and maybe in the morning you will know what is right for you.

Take care...
Rhonda

Old 07-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Surgery info update! update & need advice

Hi Cardshark,

Glad you got through the surgery & that the Dr. found the cancer early apparently. I'm probably in the same age group as your parents. Since they have been under a lot of stress lately, I think it would be best to delay telling anyone about the cancerous nodule until your parents are back & settled in.

That way you can comfort them while telling them. You will have more info by then about your Dr. plans to for follow up care & what type of cancer you had. You could follow up with them by giving them the stats on how curable the cancer is etc if you think it is appropriate.

My daughter had follicular thyroid cancer & the surgery in Jan. When she told us, the initial news she had the stats etc which lessens the impact. Any parent would rather go through fire & water if it meant their child wouldn't suffer.

We had to delay telling my husband of my grandson's pre-term birth & the fact that he & my daughter were in a health crisis. My husband had just had bypass surgery & was in the hospital. Fam

Old 07-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User

Wow, Cardshark, I can't believe you've had to go through cancer before. And not just once but multiple times!! I'm so sorry to hear that. Hopefully, since it was so small and your thyroid is completely out, your doctor will not ask you to endure any more treatments. Best of luck with all that and definitely keep us posted! I agree, by the way, with Rhonda to think about what's best, telling your parents now or later. There's a lot of pro's and cons either way. My biggest pro toward telling them immediately was that they won't find out about it from someone else, if there are others who will know or already know. I left out some family members when I circulated my news, and some of them (distant aunts and cousins, mostly) were a bit miffed at hearing it from someone else. But, again, it entirely depends on your situation. Especially with your previous cancers, maybe telling them in person after they get home is the best thing. Wish there was a "right or wrong" button for this one. Good luck, dear. My prayers are with you.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #14
(female)

Thanks for you're advice. I went ahead and called my dad this morning. He was just pulling into the golf course with two of my uncles so I told him and this way he can take any frustration out on the golf balls. Maybe he'll actually do half way decent (he's not the best golfer). He says if he brings home as many balls as he starts with he considers it a win. So my Dad knows and he can deal with telling my Mom. I've gotta go. Just wanted to update everyone!
Hope everyone has a great day!!
cardshark

Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You might want to look over my Thyroid care and concerns post part 7. This is a blurb from the first or second page that I thought might be reassuring.

Definitions:
There are 4 major types of thyroid cancer -- papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic. Differentiated tumors are highly treatable and usually curable. The common types of differentiated tumors are papillary or follicular. Treatment is a TT with follow up RAI.

The prognosis for differentiated carcinomas (75% of cancer is papillary or 15% is follicular.. papillary is the least aggressive of the thyroid cancers ) is better for patients younger than 40 years without extension of the tumor beyond the thyroid. This is you. Your cancer was contained small and never out of the proverbial box..

So you got the bugger out earlier than later.. good for you and your MDs. Age appears to be the single most important prognostic factor, the younger you are the more aggressive you can be in treatment and thus the better your chances. Ages over 70 have issues with RAI and surgery complications.. so don't start panicking at the age of 50. Once a TT and RAI have been performed you should monitor your Tg levels every 3-6 months. An elevated serum thyroglobulin level after a TT and RAI correlates strongly with a recurrent tumor when found in patients with a previous history of differentiated thyroid cancer.

So all in all the statistics on long term studies show you are going to be hypothyroid for life. Gotta love the MDs and there statement of the obvious. I guess having a TT and RAI is nothing.. but then you have to tell the patient, "I am sorry you are going to be hypoT now.." is the worst, DUH!

My MD cracked me up this past Friday, she did the, "I am sorry, with your autoimmune issues you are going to be hypothyroid for life.. it is just taking its time to get there.. I know it is a hard pill to swallow and adjust too.." I busted out with giggles at this point and told her, "Actually the pills are quite small and go down real easy. You are just dependent on them. " It helps to keep it light. You can live well hypoT as long as you have a good MD that stays on top of your levels and medication needs.

But back to the point at hand, two bulk studies tracking long term post cancer TT patients showed on average 99% of papillary cancer patients in a similar state of progression to you had no re-occurrence of thyroid cancer in 20+ year post surgery studies. Basically once it is out it is out. Thus the odds for a long and happy.. thyroid supplemented life are in your favor.

As to telling your parents. Well wait until they get back from their trip. Meet them for dinner and let them know the facts. Be up beat and let them know that all is well and the bad stuff is gone. I am glad that your surgery went so well and I wish you and yours the best.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 07-15-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Closed Thread