It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
(female)

deli55 HB User
need advice

Hi! I need abit of advise. I was diagnsed with Hashimoto in 2004 I was on Armour for a year with no change so I was put on Thyroxine. I had bloodtests every 3 months and my meds were SLOWLY increased and I am now on 200mcg. My TSH is 1.9 should that be lower or higher. I have never been depressed but my symptoms have been fatigue, weigh gain, "brain fog" and poor memory, cold hands and feet, brittle hair and nails, sleep disturbances etc etc. Because Im 52 doctors mentioned the word MENOPAUSE for alot of my symptoms. I would really like to know more about TSH levels, unfortunately I couldnt get to the link you suggested. Optus (my server) has been down today so I will try again tonight. I had my "once a year" ultrasound today so I will be seeing my doctor next week and I would like to talk to her about TSH. I have blood work done every 6 months and TSH is on my function test but I dont know what my doctors views are about the correct levels. Other tests I have are anti-thyroglobulin Ab and anti-thyroid Peroxidase Ab.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Should I get a second opinion w/ these lab results?

Deli55,

What are your FT3 and Ft4 levels? You can not treat by TSH alone. Given your T4 concentration I am surprised your TSH is not closer to 1. I suspect you need a mixture some T3 as well as your T4 supplement. It is possible if you are an improper converter of T4 to T3 that you will be driven hyperT in T4 and still hypoT in T3.. the active hormone need for skin, body temperature, hair and nails, etc.

Something is up and you need a complete picture of your thyroid function.

SO I recommend that you get an FT3 and Ft4 run. Now depending on where you lie in range here I will be able to recommend the next step in testing to rule out adrenals or conversion issues. Many MDs ignore thyroid hormone balance and just push for getting you in the normal range. This is not good practice in my opinion and leaves the patient to suffer.

AudreyB is an Aussie and she has waded through a few bad MDs. She has found a good one. you might want to find a post she is replying to and ask AudreyB for the name of her MD. The other tack is start a new thread," Hashimoto's and hypoT in Australia.. any good Docs about?" Or something like that. We have a good group of Aussie's here that can share the MDs name and city.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread