It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
(female)

ibtallnca HB User
Stop The Thyroid Madness...good book

I am nearly finished with this book and I have found it to be very helpful. I have been on Synthroid for 20 years after having a partial thyroidectomy due to cancer.

Over the last several years I have been extremely fatigue, gained weight, depressed, and just feel like *rap. At the end of last year I saw a new endo and all she said was, "Go home and exercise." I was devastated. When I get home from work I am dead tired and this doc said "exercise." I tried to get this doctor to listen but she said my TSH was in the normal range. So why do I feel like hell if I am in the normal range?

Shortly after that ordeal, I had female hormone problems. This last May I ended up having a D&C, blood transfusion, and then a hysterectomy.

Now I am back at trying to deal with the thyriod problem. I recently found a book on Amazon called "Stop the Thyroid Madness." I have a better understanding of what is going and it gives me avenues to take so I can overcome this horrible disease.

I have another appointment with a new endo early next month, but first I am going to have a Adrenal Fatique Saliva test. I ordered it online and should be here within a week. If it turns out I have adrenal fatigue I can take the test results to my new doc. My goal with the new doc....I want ARMOUR. I want a Free T-4 and Free T-3 test plus the 2 antibody tests which are in the book I mentioned above.

I don't feel I am a good converter of t4. I want the t4 t3 t2 and t1 that Armour offers. I want my health, my feeling well, to be the main issue, not the TSH test.

I sure hope this new doc is willing and opening minded to do what is right for me, if not, I will continue my search to find a doc in the Sacramento, CA area that will be willing to work with me.

T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User
Re: Stop The Thyroid Madness...good book

Sounds like you are on the right track! And thanks for sharing the book with us all. I'm still a little new to this, too (just had my thyroid out due to cancer) so I will pick up that book to get more knowledge on the subject. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

Yes, that book made a huge differnce in my life!

After 25+ years feeling lousy on Synthroid, I feel worlds better on Armuor!

I had to find a new doctor who would us it---best move I ever made!!

That book will also help you convert from Synthroid to Armour.

I would NEVER go back to synthetic T4 only thyroid hormone replacment!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Stop The Thyroid Madness...good book

I haven't read the book, b-u-t,,,

Traditional meds of Levoxyl / Cytomel left me feeling OK, but like I was watching life, NOT partisipating in it. And though I'm not quite otimized on Armour, I feel 200% better and won't go back either.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

Even those doctors who prescribe Armour, many don't know how to use it.

Off the top of my head, most DON'T know that;

-The TSH can NOT be used to determine Armour dose.

-NOT to take Armour before they draw blood (on the day of test).

-Optimal Free T's is in the middle to upper part of the 'normal range'.

-Ferritin should be tested and optimal is between 70-90.

-Low B12 is commom.

-to take it sublingually

-to split the dose and take it twice a day

-how to diagnose and treat adrenal insufficiency

Old 07-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
(female)

ibtallnca HB User

I got lucky. I spent a lot of time on the Net searching out someone in my area that knows about Armour and thyroids. Thank you to the people on here and the book for giving me direction on how to find a Armour friendly doc. Anyway, I called his office on Monday and got to see him on Tuesday. He listened to me. He gave me a lab slip to get free t-3, free t-4, the 2 antibodies, the reverse t-3 and the cortisol test. I am also getting an ultrasound since I had a partial thyroidectomy due to cancer in 1988. So far he is doing it right based on what I have read in "Stop The Thyriod Madness" book. I can't wait to get on the Armour. I think the Synthriod stopped working long ago. I will let you know the results which will be in 2 weeks. Yeah!

T

Last edited by ibtallnca; 07-23-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Update

Old 07-24-2008, 03:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Just ordered my copy...looking forward to getting stuck into it

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

My book arrived 2 days ago and I've almost finished it already. Fantastic book and really makes me feel as though I'm not 'going mad'.

Very highly recommended!!

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

I got the book this week and i'm halfway through it. I've been highlighting lots of stuff in it. It's a great book. Tons of good info. I have found the guide on your body temp really interesting and how you can tell based on your temp that you have an adrenal deficiency vs a thyroid dificiency or both. I also appreciate the guide on how to increase HC/isocort for adrenal issues. An other really intersting part is how T3 affects your cholesterol (mine is really high with a low HDL) as well as depressive symptoms. I feel so well-equipped with so much info and can understand the whole thyroid thing better now than i have in over 6 years when i was first diagnosed. All the pieces are fitting together like a big puzzle.

My next course of action will be to try to obtain some isocort as my nurse practitioner won't help me for my adrenals until i have addison' s disease. Isocort doesn't appear to be available in Canada, but i'll try to order some from the US and hope and pray they don't take it away at the border because of Canadian import rules.

Next i'm hoping and praying that once i get my adrenals in good shape, I'll try to get my nurse pract. to give me armour.

Anyway, i highly recommend the book!

Old 08-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #10
(female)

alikat709 HB User

hi everyone,
I was also on synthroid for 18 yrs, for 14 of those years I didnt seen to have to much of a problem with it, I muddled through my days somehow, then everything went haywire and I went hyper for awhile. hey then did RAI in jan 2005, I was never regulated since. I went through 3 endo's and then switched my pcp to a D.O in june. I called every doctor in my insurance book and asked them to call me back if the doctor would prescribe armour. I received 2 calls back out of 16 drs. I am finally on armour as of june 16th . I feel so much better than I have felt in years, I am still not at an optimal dose yet,but we are working on it. The muscle pain , joint pain, headaches, and brain fog are virtually GONE>> even though I am still hypo, the armour really makes a huge difference. I am also taking the lugol's solution iodine 25 mg , and several supplements. I was having many heart palps while on synthroid, they didnt go away after starting armour,but I added in the iodine a few weeks ago and I don't get the heart palps that much now. Oh I have also lost weight , couldnt lose one pound on synthroid ,now its coming off without even trying. Thats all I can say is WOW ! and OINK OINK !!!!
kathy

Old 08-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
(female)

helena962 HB User

After 17 years on Synthroid and getting nowhere I went to see a naturopath and got on Armour. Noticed the increase in energy almost right away, no longer need 2 or 3 hour "naps" in the afternoon. I'm in Canada so will have to stay with the naturopath to get the armour. Isn't this nuts? Waiting for a friend in the U.S. to send me the Stop the Thyroid Madness book.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:00 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Stop The Thyroid Madness...good book

I haven't gone through a DECADE(s) of wasted time being Hypo-thy due to one enlarged, non-cancerous lobe being removed Oct 05.. B U T, (so-called) Doctors have made it much harder than it needs to be WHY don't they CARE about the quality of my life ??

Tried:
1) Levothyroxine (NEVER again)
2) Levoxyl / Cytomel combo (ok, but felt like I was trudging through life, not LIVING it!!!)
3) battled D.O. for Armour 5/07 - feel better than EVER- b-u-t - -
won't OPTIMIZE me, barely IN range.
(<<~D.O. fired)

Ordered my book today ! My 6th thy book

Old 08-18-2008, 01:35 AM   #13
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Talking Re: Stop The Thyroid Madness...good book

Hi, all.

It is kinda hard for me to order it. Is it necessary to have a look at the real book?

Last edited by moderator2; 08-18-2008 at 05:49 AM.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejenny77 View Post
Hi, all.

It is kinda hard for me to order it. I saw the website of this book. Is it necessary to have a look at the real book?
Yes theres a lot more info in the book - definitely worth buy. I bought it from The Book Depository in the UK (not sure where you live) and they delivery worldwide - I'm in Australia and I got my copy in about a week.

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Last edited by moderator2; 08-18-2008 at 05:49 AM.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:20 AM   #15
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Hi, tygwyn.

It would take me 2 months to get this book. I can't wait long until I have the book. So I would have those recommended labworks done firstly. It said that "Most are saliva testing, and one is blood testing". I counselled the hospitals, but they don't have the salivary tests, just solely offer blood tests. What should I do?

Last edited by cutejenny77; 08-18-2008 at 02:27 AM.

Closed Thread