It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
Do you talk about your wows, or keep them in?

I was just thinking that most days I'm asked 'How are ya' and 100% of the time my reply is "Good thanks, and you?".....WHY??!!!

I dont really tend to talk to anyone about the struggles I have on a daily basis, with anxiety and whatever else is running through my thyroid warped mind, around and around and around and around!

My hubby knows when I'm having a rough time of it emotionally, and leaves me to try to figure it out myself - in my own time - hes great. But I dont really talk to anyone else about it at all. I take my daughter to her after school activities, help out at the school, go to college and do all the everyday things - but inside, more often than not, I'm in turmoil.

How do you guys deal with it?

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User
Re: Do you talk about your wows, or keep them in?

Hey Tygwyn - I feel your pain. It's been a bit of trial & error for me, but I have found those in my life that I can really talk to about this whole thyroid escapade, and those I can't. I would encourage you to find one or two people who you trust & feel comfortable with (could even be here on the boards) and do talk to them.

I think we have to do enough of "Oh - I'm *fine*......and you??" pleasantries in life. There's nothing wrong with that. But when you're going through serious health issues, having those we know we can turn to and share our struggle with is invaluable. It will make it easier to do the "I'm fine - and you?" the rest of the time Just my humble opinion. Take good care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
(female)

aussiejenni HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygwyn View Post
I was just thinking that most days I'm asked 'How are ya' and 100% of the time my reply is "Good thanks, and you?".....WHY??!!!

I dont really tend to talk to anyone about the struggles I have on a daily basis, with anxiety and whatever else is running through my thyroid warped mind, around and around and around and around!

My hubby knows when I'm having a rough time of it emotionally, and leaves me to try to figure it out myself - in my own time - hes great. But I dont really talk to anyone else about it at all. I take my daughter to her after school activities, help out at the school, go to college and do all the everyday things - but inside, more often than not, I'm in turmoil.

How do you guys deal with it?
I find that talking about things here helps. You are so lucky to be able to go to college etc....how do you do that with the anxiety lurking?? When I am bad I can hardly leave the house and I get tired easily. Take care .

Jenni.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Yep I agree its good to talk about it. I just dont like it to take over my conversation...and if I was to talk about it every time I felt like crap...it'd be 24/7!! haha

I do tell hubby when I'm feeling bad - just so he understands why I'm acting the way I am...and it does help to get it out in the open...but I also dont want it to effect his or my daughters life too much. As it is my daughter doesnt know theres a problem (well I dont think she does anyway) and I'm happy with it that way. Hubby accepts that things are the way they are for now, but also accepts that in time, hopefully, things will improve.

Good times ahead for us all I'm sure!

On the anxiety front Jenni - I try not to let that take over my life - I WONT let it stop me from doing stuff. I suppose it makes a difference in how your anxiety manifests itself too - mine is with constant worries about my daughter, so whether I'm at home or out and about, it makes no difference. It is hard to hold a conversation and be civil sometimes though when your body is trying to do something else...but I manage it thankfully . I did explain to one of my teachers the other week about my thyroid condition and showed him a list of symptoms brought on by thyroid disease and his reply was "that only makes me respect you more"...what a lovely thing to say

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

For the 2 + decades I was feeling lousy on Synthroid, I thought it was all my fault.

NOW, I know better!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCC View Post
For the 2 + decades I was feeling lousy on Synthroid, I thought it was all my fault.

NOW, I know better!
That is SOOOOO good to hear

21 months for me on T4 and I'm pretty sure I'm done with it!! 4 weeks until I see my new doc

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
(female)

aussiejenni HB User

Quote:
That is SOOOOO good to hear

21 months for me on T4 and I'm pretty sure I'm done with it!! 4 weeks until I see my new doc
Anxiety for me is palpitations and a horrible tight feeling in my chest and stomach in particular and panicky feelings about nothing. I have been warned that if I tried Armour or an equivalent compounded T4/T3 med it could make my palpitations/anxiety far worse.
I had arterial fibration with the Graves....my heart would race out of control and I had to take warfarin to stop blood clots forming in my heart.
I wonder if Armour would be risky for me or not?????

Jenni

Old 07-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejenni View Post
Anxiety for me is palpitations and a horrible tight feeling in my chest and stomach in particular and panicky feelings about nothing. I have been warned that if I tried Armour or an equivalent compounded T4/T3 med it could make my palpitations/anxiety far worse.
I had arterial fibration with the Graves....my heart would race out of control and I had to take warfarin to stop blood clots forming in my heart.
I wonder if Armour would be risky for me or not?????

Jenni
I get those too, most of the time my chest is tight etc etc etc - but when I'm feeling anxious my head is full of anxious horrible thoughts too, which then makes the anxiety worse...viscious horrible flamin cycle that I am sooo over!

Apparently if your FT3 and FT4 are balanced, meaning within 10% of each other, then Armour possibly isn't the way to go. But if they're unbalanced, as mine are, then it could be good.

Whats your FT3 and FT4 at the mo?

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
(female)

aussiejenni HB User

Quote:
I get those too, most of the time my chest is tight etc etc etc - but when I'm feeling anxious my head is full of anxious horrible thoughts too, which then makes the anxiety worse...viscious horrible flamin cycle that I am sooo over!

Apparently if your FT3 and FT4 are balanced, meaning within 10% of each other, then Armour possibly isn't the way to go. But if they're unbalanced, as mine are, then it could be good.

Whats your FT3 and FT4 at the mo?
My FT4 was 15.7 ( 9 -19) FT3 was 2.9 ( 2.6- 5.7)
Before the surgery my FT3 was 5.....and my heart was racy lol then
straight after the TT they put me on
100mcg thyroxine and it went crazy lol.
Jenni.

Last edited by aussiejenni; 07-22-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: missed out words

Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejenni View Post
My FT4 was 15.7 ( 9 -19) FT3 was 2.9 ( 2.6- 5.7)
Before the surgery my FT3 was 5.....and my heart was racy lol then
straight after the TT they put me on
100mcg thyroxine and it went crazy lol.
Jenni.
Ok so your percentages are:

FT4: (19-9)/(15.7-9)*100 = 67%
FT3: (5.7-2.6)/(2.9-2.6)*100 = 9.6%

You're even more unbalanced than I am Jenni.

Before surgery you were on medication for Graves so that changes things, and while your FT3 was 5...what was your FT4?

Post surgery my body went crazy on 100mcg too - thought I was losing my mind (again!) but it settled down (a bit!!).

We can only try different things Jenni to see if it helps cant we

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Last edited by tygwyn; 07-22-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User

I've just read this entire thread and I'm fascinated! I don't have much anxiety during the day (YET, we'll see after I actually go on thyroid meds) but about every other night I have the HARDEST time sleeping because I worry about nothing and everything. I usually read a book or watch a movie to get my mind off things, but the CRAZIEST, most HORRIBLE thoughts run through my head and I feel powerless to stop them. Ty, like you, most of these revolve around the safety of my daughter (she's 2). I had NO IDEA these could be thyroid related! Grats to both of you, Ty and Jenni, for dealing with it and working hard to keep life running smoothly in spite of it.

Any idea what thyroid problem causes anxiety? Is it the T3/T4 imbalance you were talking about?

Oh, and about the whole, "I'm just dandy, how are you?" every time someone asks: I think it's great to keep things short, sweet and positive when you see people in passing. BUT, I'm also very expressive. If someone close to me asks how I'm doing, I'm not going to gloss it over UNLESS I don't want to talk about it. In fact, my father-in-law told me about two months ago that I always tell him I don't feel good when he asks how I'm doing. I said, "When I start feeling better, I'll tell you, but if you don't want an honest answer then you should stop asking". Neither of us knew then that I had cancer, of course, but it still stopped him from pestering me about it for a while.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRose77 View Post
but the CRAZIEST, most HORRIBLE thoughts run through my head and I feel powerless to stop them.
This is what I struggle with the most - the worst the thoughts are, the more they stick. Mine are HORRIBLE and this is something that I do keep in because they make me feel crazy. I know I'm not and that its only anxiety...and when my mind is feeling a more relaxed, I tell myself and smile about it. But when I'm anxious.........

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 07-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

I won't get into this too deeply here, but thought I'd share some. I have had panic disorder since I was 18 (I'm in my 40's now). I won't get into all that, but I will share some tools I've gained over the 20 plus years of co-habitating with anxiety and panic. You're experiencing racing of thoughts and it's your brain looking first for danger outside of you. Since it can't find the danger ***outside*** (like the tiger chasing the caveman/woman way back when), it immediately looks inside. This all happens sooooo darn fast.

The reasons that get us into this state are numerous so I won't go there either. But, I will say - try to be aware of your thoughts and recognize that they're just that - thoughts. When your mind races, your thoughts begin future tripping, and before you know what hit you, you've gone down some horrible road in your mind and come up with some awful outcome As much as you can, try to be very vigilant about what you're thinking about and be aware of how your feelings follow. This can be really difficult to do at first, but with practice you can become really good at it

Slowing down your breathing is powerful, powerful stuff too. Between the increased awareness of thoughts vs feelings, and learning how to control my breathing, I can often times stop a panic attack in its tracks. Again, I'm not saying this stuff is easy to master, but remember: "repetition is the mother of skill." I hope that helps

Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC08 View Post
I won't get into this too deeply here, but thought I'd share some. I have had panic disorder since I was 18 (I'm in my 40's now). I won't get into all that, but I will share some tools I've gained over the 20 plus years of co-habitating with anxiety and panic. You're experiencing racing of thoughts and it's your brain looking first for danger outside of you. Since it can't find the danger ***outside*** (like the tiger chasing the caveman/woman way back when), it immediately looks inside. This all happens sooooo darn fast.

The reasons that get us into this state are numerous so I won't go there either. But, I will say - try to be aware of your thoughts and recognize that they're just that - thoughts. When your mind races, your thoughts begin future tripping, and before you know what hit you, you've gone down some horrible road in your mind and come up with some awful outcome As much as you can, try to be very vigilant about what you're thinking about and be aware of how your feelings follow. This can be really difficult to do at first, but with practice you can become really good at it

Slowing down your breathing is powerful, powerful stuff too. Between the increased awareness of thoughts vs feelings, and learning how to control my breathing, I can often times stop a panic attack in its tracks. Again, I'm not saying this stuff is easy to master, but remember: "repetition is the mother of skill." I hope that helps
What a great post TC - thanks for that. Sounds like you've read a lot of self help books and that its all sunk it well. Good on you

I recognise mine as just thoughts, but as you know its still difficult. As we get rid of one thought (which can linger for months!!) we replace it with another, very boring, very tedious and also very upsetting...but we get on with it

I try to make a point of smiling when I'm lying down in bed to go to sleep. Dont very often 'feel' like smiling...but just the motion of it makes me feel better. I also laugh as much as possible and keep myself as busy as possible when I'm going through these rough patches.

Some good reading for those interested is:

Claire Weekes - Self Help for your Nerves (or any of Claire Weekes books)

Richard Carlson - Stop Thinking, Stop Living

Both explain the thought process brilliantly

Thanks again TC and well done on dealing with your panic. I very rarely reach the panic stage anymore, although some may conceive it as panic level, I'm maybe just used to it! haha

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 AM   #15
(female)

kassikoo HB User

Hi Girls I hope you dont mind me joining in to clear my head, I just wanted to overspill and this seems like a good place for it, at the age of 8yrs I have sufferd sexual abuse on and off by people that should have been friends and at 15yrs was raped twice once by a neighbough and then a stranger and so i suffered with schooling as i was carrying this all alone, I got pregnant at 17 to get away from the neighbough who kept spying on me,and my boyfriend kept beating me the last straw was he kicked me unconcoius at 8 months pregnant (my baby was born, luckily fine) I went back home and had to deal with living near the neighbough this is where my panic attacks set in but i got through, then i suffered( excuse spelling) aggrifobia at the age of 29 when nearly loseing my dad, I had hypnosis it seemed to go away, but at 32 I lost my mum and dad within 10 of each other and the aggrifobia reared its ugly head again that took many years to cope with but i did it, again panic attacks, then at the age of 43yrs I had an holliday abroad and was kept out there being drugged daily with what we feel was small amounts to keep me ticking over for 6wks and raped, so for the last 6yrs I have struggled with different councilors not coming to any positive ending, the last 12mnts I have been diagnosed with underactive thyroid, in the last 2yrs lots of allergies which I carry an epipen for, now haveing test for latex,adesives and fibers lol! and scinse march haveing loads of pain in my joints to the point I have to stay in bed for 24/48hrs then up and work through the pain doc thinks its fibromyalgia, and heres the fantastic bit for me the last 6 months Ive been haveing councling (yes found a fantastic councilor)and I no longer live with my past I just take the next minuite and second as it comes even with the pain, I just think it will be gone soon so I now have a lot of positives from negatives but I do understand what your saying with this thyroid thing its something that takes over untill we understand whats going on and getting our meds right, sorry I spilled this out but this is the first time I have told people in length lol!(I know it was a long one soz) and I agree with you all when someone says how are you, you dont always feel like saying fine when your not, but I have this thing going on in my head when thay ask I think (hmmm! say fine or you'l be here all day lol ) that makes me smile and I ask how they are, then I usually get all their probs instead, but hey what are friends for. thanks for letting me rant I only have to do it the once. hehehehe love kassi

Last edited by kassikoo; 07-23-2008 at 03:30 AM.

Closed Thread