It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 AM   #1
(female)

shannoncarr1975 HB User
can someone tell me what this means?

test results..
t3, free... 470 (normal 230-420)
TSH, 3rd generation 0.02 (normal 0.40- 4.50)
t4, free 1.4 (normal 0.8 - 1.8 )

Those were my blood test results, here is my RAIU scan results....

Following oral administration of 455 uCi of iodine 123 capsule, the up take at 6 hours is 27.1% and at 25 hours is 39.7% (normal value at 6 hours is 5 - 15% and at 25 hours is 15 - 35%).

There is a mild enlargement of both thyroid lobes which show diffuse homogeneous echogenicity. there is no evidence of focal areas of increased or decreased activity..

conclusion: toxic goiter

what does diffuse homogeneous echogenicity mean?
what does toxic goiter mean?

My doctor wants me to immediately wants me to do the radiation treatment, why, can't I take the medication first...?
It doesn't seem to me that my scan results are that high, what do you all think?
I am going to get a second opinion, but i wanted to know yours too...

Thanks for any help provided!
Shannon

Last edited by shannoncarr1975; 07-25-2008 at 05:59 AM.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User
Re: can someone tell me what this means?

I agree with you.
I"d want to try the meds first too.

Seems they want to do what is EASIEST FOR THEM!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Diffuse homogeneous echogenicity means that the thyroid is of normal texture without anything funny looking about it. They could just say it looks normal but they like big words.

A goiter is an enlarged thyroid. Toxic means it's putting out too much thyroid hormone. So, you have an enlarged thyroid that excretes too much hormone.

The uptake results show that your thyroid is hungry for iodine so it can make even more thyroid hormones that your body doesn't need.

Of course he wants you to do the RAI therapy. It's a piece of cake for them. If he didn't provide you with information on the other two options, surgery or meds, then he has violated his duty to provide you with enough information to give informed consent. I'd say a second opinion is more than warranted.

You're hyperthyroid. If you do not have evidence of grave's eye disease, then graves is not a positive diagnosis, only highly probable. Antibody testing is warranted to see what your level is. That also plays a role in the decision making process.

You need to start treatment very soon. Hyperthyroidism can be dangerous but medications will allow you the time to research and decide on your own best treatment option.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Helen

Old 07-25-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
(female)

shannoncarr1975 HB User

thanks for all the info... I wanted to find out about this... I was on welbruten about 3 mths. ago, and all of the sudden, I couldn't see well at all.. I couldn't read no matter how hard I tried. I had to make the font on the computer rediculously big. I stopped the wellbruten and I could see again. could this be connected? Also, I had a very strange episode about 8 mths. ago where I was panting, I couldn't breath hardly at all. when I layed down it was worse. I should have gone to the emergency room as it lasted a good 45 minutes. could this be a thyroid storm? thanks for any info!

Old 07-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's good that you wanted to find out about it. It's best that you learn as much as you possibly can. You'll want to become an active participant in your treatment.

A well know side effect of wellbutrin is blurry vision. It's most likely not connected with the thyroid.

The panting probably was. Hyperthyroidism can cause all kinds of interesting symptoms and for some reason, laying down almost always makes em worse. Hyperthyroidism makes everything in your body speed up. I imagine you've felt quite a few strange things lately. It wasn't thyroid storm. You would have been an awful lot sicker than that.

It's a good idea not to let the hyper go on too long without treatment. Usually, a person who is newly diagnosed is immediately placed on beta blockers to help control symptoms. It can take up to 6 weeks for the anti-thyroid medications to take full effect.

How soon are you going to be getting this second opinion?

Old 07-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
(female)

shannoncarr1975 HB User

hi, i have an appointment for august 11. i guess thats not too bad, although i have waited 2 weeks before i made the appointment. i am going to get on top of it now though since i start back to school on the 18th.. i hope it doesn't interfere too much with school. hey, may be my memory will improve and i don't have to work like a mad women to remember the littlest things! i sure hope so!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's not bad. Usually it's a lot longer wait to get a new patient appt. I had to wait 4 mos once. Problem with that is the symptoms sometimes subside and then they look at you like you're nuts. You will not run into too many doctors whose first choice isn't RAI. That's what they're taught. What you'll be looking for is someone with an open mind who's willing to allow you to choose how you want to treat this. It's your body, not theirs. You've been saddled with an incurable but treatable disease and you need to treat it so that you'll feel good which is very possible with this. It's not always an easy ride at first but can be well worth it if you're willing to learn as much as you can and become active in your treatment.

How you been feeling? Some people get really sick. Others don't feel it much at all. Sometimes when it creeps up on you, you don't hardly notice it until someone who knows you mentions it. My mom says it makes me talk too fast. The hubby says I start taking on a million projects and then get real forgetful of what I'm doing.

It'll get better. I think the memory thing is cause the thoughts are going so fast thru the head that you just can't keep up with em. They call it increased mentation. You can actually learn faster but it's at a price. The meds will slow that down and you can start thinking normal again.

I'm glad you found this board. I think you'll find a lot of help and support here. Many people have already gone thru what you are and that really helps.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:14 AM   #8
(female)

shannoncarr1975 HB User

Hi.. I went the opposite route. I have gotten so tired at times where all i want to do is sleep. The memory thing, well, its never really been there anyway but may be I have been hyper all my life and never new it. My mom said and I agree that when I was a child I was really over active. I have had bouts with depression all my life, on and off. To feel happy again would be amazing. I am stressed all the time, sometimes for no apparent reason. this year especially. I had lost all confidence in my self when It comes to school. In the beginning of last sememster I had a serious break down because I thought I couldn't do it. I am a college student (an older one at that.. 32) And last semester was the hardest but i ended up with 2 a's and 2 b's. Everyone say's I worry for no reason. I would love to feel normal just once in my life! I look foward to meeting people who I can relate to and who can relate to me!

Old 07-27-2008, 04:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I never said it wasn't exhausting. What I hated worse was when I'd feel like I was ready to collapse and then the insomnia would hit and I'd go mos on like 4 or 5 hours sleep. Talk about being a zombie.

I was labeled a hyperactive kid at 9 mos old. My poor mom. They tried tranquilizers on me but they didn't work so they gave em to her instead. My thyroid disorder is a gene mutation so I was born with it. I have normal TSH levels so when I was tested in my early 20's, it was missed. I was finally diagnosed hyperthyroid in my early 30's and got a proper diagnosis last year. I'm 49. I started treatment this last march and am actually starting to find out what normal is. I like it.

The thyroid works on the emotions. Seems to magnify everything. You should hopefully see an improvement in that. If you go back thru some of the threads, I think it was about a year ago or so, a couple of us hypers were discussing the worry/panic issue and how absolutely ridiculous it was and how it made everyone else think we were a bit crazy. We probably are but there's no sense in letting anyone else know that. Actually before they discovered that the thyroid could do that to a person, they used to put em away in the loony bin.

What are you studying? A's and B's are something to be proud of, especially if you did it hyper. I'm about to say I'm an older student too. I start classes next month.

This board is a real life saver. It's really nice to be able to talk with others who understand what you're feeling inside. You'll learn a lot more here than you'll learn from a lot of doctors too. You see, we happen to live this disease. They don't. Our goal is to feel good. I think you'll like it here.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by accessn12 View Post
I never said it wasn't exhausting. What I hated worse was when I'd feel like I was ready to collapse and then the insomnia would hit and I'd go mos on like 4 or 5 hours sleep. Talk about being a zombie.

I was labeled a hyperactive kid at 9 mos old. My poor mom. They tried tranquilizers on me but they didn't work so they gave em to her instead. My thyroid disorder is a gene mutation so I was born with it. I have normal TSH levels so when I was tested in my early 20's, it was missed. I was finally diagnosed hyperthyroid in my early 30's and got a proper diagnosis last year. I'm 49. I started treatment this last march and am actually starting to find out what normal is. I like it.

The thyroid works on the emotions. Seems to magnify everything. You should hopefully see an improvement in that. If you go back thru some of the threads, I think it was about a year ago or so, a couple of us hypers were discussing the worry/panic issue and how absolutely ridiculous it was and how it made everyone else think we were a bit crazy. We probably are but there's no sense in letting anyone else know that. Actually before they discovered that the thyroid could do that to a person, they used to put em away in the loony bin.

What are you studying? A's and B's are something to be proud of, especially if you did it hyper. I'm about to say I'm an older student too. I start classes next month.

This board is a real life saver. It's really nice to be able to talk with others who understand what you're feeling inside. You'll learn a lot more here than you'll learn from a lot of doctors too. You see, we happen to live this disease. They don't. Our goal is to feel good. I think you'll like it here.
Great reply accessn and all so so true. The worry, the panic, the constant thoughts going around and around and around, the exhaustion until bedtime and then thinking of all the things you could be doing rather than lying in bed....crazy is a good word to describe it.... and anyone without thyroid disease surely would I'm sure....but here, we all understand.

Its great to talk on here - nobody judges and everyone understands.

We're not crazy, we have thyroid disease, simple as

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 07-27-2008, 05:02 AM   #11
(female)

shannoncarr1975 HB User

I am studying to be a lab technician. I am so excited. I'll be the one testing everyone's TSH, free3 and 4's! The cool thing is though is that most tests are done on automated machines. Though, we still have to learn how to do everything manually, I have a feeling it will be much easier than it is in the classroom. Only one semester left!!! Then the externship, then a good paying job and more money! OMG I am excited about the money! hahaa

What are you going to school for? Good luck in that! We older people take schooling much more serious. You will do GREAT! It's the younger folk who don't study till 5 minutes before the test. Drives me crazy when I have to study for 30 hours just to get a A or B on a test and some only study a few miserable hours! UGH!!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Wow sounds fab shannon!

I've just finished studying too - I'm a web designer now (and almost 37)

Nothing as sophisticated as a lab technician (sounds really interesting by the way) but I do really enjoy it and its something I can do from home which is ideal.

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 07-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is exciting. The lab tech in my gp's office has graves and had her thyroid removed when she was 9. We can relate and get along real well. You're going to make a great lab tech. I think people who have been thru the medical system as a patient make for better medical people cause they have the ability to understand and relate.

I'm getting my degree as a medical assitant. I currently own my own computer repair shop/internet service. I do a lot of work from home but I've got a shop that sits smack between the clinic, the hospital and the ambulance service. I wanna combine the two skills and improve the way medical care is delivered in this small remote community. I've got all kinds of grand plans and am pretty excited about it. I don't plan on making a bunch of money from it. It's a poor community and it's pretty cheap to live here. No kids to support and a hubby with a pension. I've got it made.

Hey, tygwyn. Part of this project involves web design. I might call on you for some pointers. I've dabbled in web pages and do my own simple homepage for my business but have never gotten any further than that. I've got a deep respect for web designers.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by accessn12 View Post

Hey, tygwyn. Part of this project involves web design. I might call on you for some pointers. I've dabbled in web pages and do my own simple homepage for my business but have never gotten any further than that. I've got a deep respect for web designers.
I'll be happy to help anytime - just shout when you need it

Your course sounds great too! Really excited for you

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 07-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #15
(female)

shannoncarr1975 HB User

I just want to get out of school on the honor society, however, I don't know, next semester is going to be the toughest. Also, out of may be 12 classes already I already have 3 b's, if I get anymore, I may get kicked out of honor society! I will just keep reminding myself that this is the last semester so get as much studying in as I can and make that honor society thing happen!!! Just 15 more weeks and I am done!!! I CAN NOT WAIT! lol

I always thought that medical assisting would be fun, I was already a CNA and totally loved that. Hey, you never know, I was a orthotic and prosthetic technician, a cna, now a lab tech, may be next will be Medical assisting...lol Good luck with the computer business, I am soooo not a business women.. you have to be a leader for that and I neither lead nor fallow... haha I am just me! Good luck to you all!

Closed Thread