It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
with a total thyroidectomy, is iodine intake a big issue?

My newish doctor who's supposed to be looking into why I have a problem standing up for very long without getting lightheaded, wants me to do a kit that tells about my body's iodine level, or something like that. He's an MD thats gone holistic. I had my thyroid removed, am on replacement, so am wondering if iodine is that big of an issue???? I mean, I don't have a thyroid to assimilate iodine and create thyroxine, so am I missing something here??? I eat tuna and out and about, so I know I'm getting adequate iodine in my diet.

Last edited by sue1234; 07-30-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Re: with a total thyroidectomy, is iodine intake a big issue?

They called this morning to say they had ordered the kits for their office, and it's an iodine loading test kit. Is it even a relevant issue without a thyroid??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

TV in RV HB User

That's a really good question. I read that iodine deficiencies are rare in the western diet because of our iodized salt intake among other things. You could try taking kelp (cheap) and see if it helps before waisting money on the test. It seems like the whole iodine issue has been over comercialized in the holistic industry over the past few years.

Good luck

Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

I have read that you shouldn't take iodine if you have autoimmune thyroid problems. Dr. Sessions did a hair analysis and iodine was over the charts in my hair sample. My multi at the time had iodine in it so I started taking multi without it. I couldn't tell a difference. Dr. Sessions never said anything to me about it.

I asked Dr. A and he just shrugged and never gave me a real answer. But I did notice that his new Vitamins that he sells in his office formulated especially for the thyroid that he reccomended for me has NO iodine.

But after a TT the answer could be different. I know you and I always had
many of the same symptoms. I am a little better now since I have increased my Armour some...........don't believe I am optium yet..........but that was one of my main symptoms, not being able to stand very long.

Last edited by SHMILY; 07-31-2008 at 03:53 PM.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
(female)

TV in RV HB User
Thumbs up Re: with a total thyroidectomy, is iodine intake a big issue?

Haha, I was about to tell her the same thing until I realized what a thyroidectomy is. Oh well

Last edited by TV in RV; 07-31-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1234 View Post
My newish doctor who's supposed to be looking into why I have a problem standing up for very long without getting lightheaded, wants me to do a kit that tells about my body's iodine level, or something like that. He's an MD thats gone holistic. I had my thyroid removed, am on replacement, so am wondering if iodine is that big of an issue???? I mean, I don't have a thyroid to assimilate iodine and create thyroxine, so am I missing something here??? I eat tuna and out and about, so I know I'm getting adequate iodine in my diet.
Good Question! I'd be interested in the answer too as I no longer have a thyroid

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Closed Thread