It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
(female)

Carol3 HB User
Sea Kelp - Good idea? Bad idea?

Does anyone here take sea kelp? I take a supplement that gives 300% of your daily needs? Why would you need 300%? For this reason I only take 1 tablet as opposed to the recommended 3. My gp has asked that I continue taking this dose at least until I have my blood rechecked in 2 months time. I'm not a huge believer in supplements preferring to get what I need through my diet but knew I wasn't getting enough kelp in my diet. Very new to thyroid issues so please bear with me and my questions!
Carol

Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB User
Re: Sea Kelp - Good idea? Bad idea?

What thyroid issues are you having? I can tell you that my Dad had a goiter about 15-20 years ago and the doctors wanted to do radiation and kill his thyroid and he started taking Kelp; Irish moss; and something else, although I don't remember what, and next time he went to have levels checked everything was normal and the goiter had drastically shrunk and he continued taking them for about 1-2 years and he has never had any problems since and his thyroid works great. Don't listen to the doctor when they tell you not to take it because of it messing with levels. The only thing it does is gets things back in wack where they should be. Most doctors don't recommend this kind of stuff because they don't get money from it like they do prescriptions you take and surgery and other procedures you have done!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
(female)

TV in RV HB User

I read that the iodine in kelp can put stress on an unstable thyroid. On the other hand it's a good supplement if you are iodine deficient. Basically too much or too little can be bad for the thyroid. But iodine deficienies are rare in western civilization probably because of our large iodized salt intake. Do a search on oxidative stress, iodine excess and thyroid. And then do another search on unstable thyroid and iodine.

After reading this, I personally would only take the 100% if I was deficient. But, then again I'm from the USA. King of salty food.

Last edited by TV in RV; 07-30-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The extra iodine contained in kelp can be a good idea only if you're deficient in iodine. But if your hypoT is being caused by Hashimoto's thyroiditis and not iodine-deficiency, kelp can make you feel much worse. Iodine is the raw material that a thyroid gland uses to create its hormone, but a Hashi's-damaged gland in the throes of death can't make hormone... so it has no use for all that iodine. It's like trying to kick a dead horse to make it run.

Most cases of hypothyroidism are caused by Hashi's. Very few cases in industrialized nations are caused by iodine-deficiency.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I don't know much about sea kelp so can't help you on that.

Just because you eat healthy or eat salty food does not mean you have sufficient iodine. Some people absorb iodine but their body is unable to retain it for long enough to be able to be used within the body. I'm in that category. I absorb it, but don't retain it long enough.

I have Hashimoto's and my doctor has run a heap of various tests to eliminate all other possibilities and to determine what else isn't doing too well so that he can tackle everything together rather than just the thyroid alone. He got me to drink a certain amount of iodine diluted with water first thing in the morning and to collect all urine till the next day. A lab somehow determines the percentage of iodine i am losing in that set period of time.

I never believed i could be iodine deficient, but then i couldn't believe my vitamin D and ferretin levels were lower than low. Reading up on posts here and on the anemia board a lot of people seem to be deficient in a range of things due to malabsorbtion. Oddly enough, a lot of those people have a thyroid condition and i wonder how many others have simply not been diagnosed with a thyroid condition yet. It took me at least 7 yrs to finally get diagnosed.

I wouldn't simply go off on my own and supplement myself with iodine as that can be very dangerous. Always get your doctor to determine how much is safe after having had a test first to see where your iodine levels are at. My doctor worked out my dosage according to what percentage of iodine i'm losing in a 24hr period. I think he also took into consideration my height and weight (i know he did the height/weight ratio when he got me taking selenium). Thyroid issues are enough to deal with, you dont want to complicate matters by taking too much of something, especially if you don't need it.

Closed Thread