HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Questions before scan/RAI treatment (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/622539-questions-before-scan-rai-treatment.html)

kcf71 08-01-2008 08:58 AM

Questions before scan/RAI treatment

Hi all,

I'm sorry I've been gone for a while. Hope everyone is doing well :)

As some of you know I have a TT on June 9th and was diagnosed with 2 types of thyroid cancer (papillary and follicular). No one knew I had the cancer before the TT or when they took it out. It was only when the lab report came back that I found out.

Anyway, I'm scheduled for my body scan and RAI the week of August 11th (well the scan atleast). So because the thyroid rep. med can throw off the results, I've stopped the med on Monday. I have 2 questions:

1) [U]What kind of symptoms could I have while off the med?[/U] I'm already extremely fatigued and mentally, have memory problems and a I'm ashamed to say, a really short fuse. It seems I'm super sensitive to everything (which isn't like me).

and

2) [U]Does the RAI hurt at all[/U]? I'm thinking the worst part is having to stay away from everyone due to being radioactive. My doc told me about a week? Then I heard 2 weeks :confused:

I'm not really sure how worried to be about the cancer. I mean, obviously I'm concerned as it's cancer, but I know it's the "best" type to get should you get it, and it's the two slower growing ones out of the kinds you can get in the thyroid. From what I've been told by all docs, the prognosis is excellent.

Anyway, wishing you all a happy and healthy weekend,
Kellie :D

Reece 08-01-2008 09:54 AM

Re: Questions before scan/RAI treatment

No, RAI doesn't hurt. I got a little nausea, but I think it came from being so hypo. I also was a little sore around my neck.

You have to be as secluded as possible from other adults for 3 days, and for a week, not have extended contact, and stay at least 6 feet away during that time whenever possible. Depending upon your dosage, you are like an x-ray machine that is on. Each day gets less and less. The place you are having the scan at must give you directions.

The symptoms of hypo will be similar to those that many on this board have---fatigue, aches, hard to move and get around, but it's only short term.

Let us know how it goes!

TC08 08-01-2008 11:52 AM

Hi Kellie :wave: Just wanted to echo Reece's comments. I'm having my RAI this coming Monday. Took the tracer dose this morning actually. My TT was due to cancer also. From what I've been reading, we all react a bit differently to being hypo, but my symptoms are very similar to yours. I have intentionally limited my activity, and really my contact with family & friends during this time, just because I do feel so ***yucky***.

I know we all have our individual differences, but the only person I've really wanted around me is my boyfriend, and my little rat terrier dog :) She's been the BEST company of all. She doesn't care that I look horrid, or feel horrid, she just looks at me with all of that doggie love and I'm a goner. Not sure if you are a pet person or ?? but hang in there! You'll get through it! It's not what I would call a fun time, but just think of what this prep is helping us do - get back to health from this bout with cancer. Take good care!!

fancee_face71 08-01-2008 12:03 PM

Hi Kellie!
I had TT august 6,2207.
When I had my RAI...I FELT nothing. Just swallowed the little pill and hung out in an isolated room for a couple of days. I was told to bring sour candy to suck on...guessing that has something to do with the elmination of the RAI(?)
I also took hot showers a couple of times a day (so I would sweat) while I was in there. And I drank a TON of H2O so that I would have to pee a lot. These things, Im guessing, help reduce your "measurement" so that you can go home.
They came in and "measured" me everyday. Measuring doesnt hurt either...just some "wand" they wave around your body.

Being off Synthroid was the worst part of it. I was SO fatigued I could barely lift my purse!

Anyway..
Good luck and keep us posted on how things went for ya!

~Bilinda~

beth67 08-01-2008 08:24 PM

The reason for the sour candies is so you will salivate and get rid of the radiation because if concentrates in your salivary glands. I brought in the sour candies and did'nt take them because I felt fine but in the morning the sides of my neck hurt horribly and I had a bad headache. Drink lots of water and just suck on the sour candies. I'd hate for you to experience what I did.

DR37 08-01-2008 09:52 PM

What sour candies do they recommend? Lemon drops? I would think that other sour stuff would have salt in them, which we have to stay away from due to the fact that they could have iodine in them. Guess it doesn't matter after you take the pill?

TC08 08-02-2008 09:27 AM

Lemon drops is what they're recommending over anything else. And the iodine content, according to my protocal, does matter an additional two days after the RAI. Hope that helps. According to the nuclear medicine department (and my dentist), the lemon drops help eradicate the radiation, but also help your salivary glands to get working again which is very important after RAI.

:D:D:D

beth67 08-02-2008 02:35 PM

I followed the no iodine diet strictly before radiation. If I was going to swallow that pill I wanted it to really work. One thing I expected was the hospital to provide me food without iodine but they didn't. Unless the radiation Dr. orders it you get what every other patient gets so call ahead and make sure you get the proper food because you do need to be on a low iodine diet for a few days after the pill. Something else that made things easier for my husband was buying disposable plates, bowls and silverware to reduce the exposure in the kitchen if I used regular dishes. If you have kids make sure you stay away from them for a few days. Can't remember how long it was for. And don't forget the sour candies while in the hospital. Good luck.

DR37 08-05-2008 10:29 AM

Thanks all! Really good info, I'll be sure to follow it. I'm actually spending the entire week at my Dad's house with him and my sister and her hubby. It's a 9 bedroom house, so I'll be able to steer clear of everyone, and there are no small kids around (like my 2 and 1/2 yr old daughter). I'm making sure to have plasticware and disposable plates and things, the lemon drops and lots of things to do. Since I'm having a double dose (200 millicuries) and no hospital stay, I'm thinking of bringing some winter gloves as well, just so I don't have to worry about touching doors and the fridge and things. Does this seem too over-the-top? And can you think of any other precaution I might need to take? Many thanks! :)

RMB 08-05-2008 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=DesertRose77;3677185]Thanks all! Really good info, I'll be sure to follow it. I'm actually spending the entire week at my Dad's house with him and my sister and her hubby. It's a 9 bedroom house, so I'll be able to steer clear of everyone, and there are no small kids around (like my 2 and 1/2 yr old daughter). I'm making sure to have plasticware and disposable plates and things, the lemon drops and lots of things to do. Since I'm having a double dose (200 millicuries) and no hospital stay, I'm thinking of bringing some winter gloves as well, just so I don't have to worry about touching doors and the fridge and things. Does this seem too over-the-top? And can you think of any other precaution I might need to take? Many thanks! :)[/QUOTE]

DesertRose,
Best wishes to you as your day draws closer! I am sure you are hopefully anticipating getting this over iwth and a bit nervous. I am sending warm thoughts your way.. :angel:

Take care..
Rhonda

DR37 08-05-2008 09:47 PM

Rhonda, you're the best. I can feel the positive energy coming my way!! :D

Ok, all, any last minute reminders for me? I have my lemon drops, Synthroid prescription to start Saturday (HOORAY!!!), disinfecting wipes, plasticware, travel size toiletries and winter gloves (just for good measure since I'm doing double dose and going straight home). Anything I'm forgetting?!?! LOL, yes I AM excited to get this behind me but stressin' just the same. :dizzy:

RMB 08-06-2008 07:39 AM

[QUOTE=DesertRose77;3677994]Rhonda, you're the best. I can feel the positive energy coming my way!! :D

Ok, all, any last minute reminders for me? I have my lemon drops, Synthroid prescription to start Saturday (HOORAY!!!), disinfecting wipes, plasticware, travel size toiletries and winter gloves (just for good measure since I'm doing double dose and going straight home). Anything I'm forgetting?!?! LOL, yes I AM excited to get this behind me but stressin' just the same. :dizzy:[/QUOTE]

Gee, it sounds like you are off for a winter adventure...maybe a picnic or overnight camping ;)....if it was only that simple!!

Rhonda