It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Low Iodine diet is good for Hashimoto's and relieve HypoT?

Hi, all.

There was research report that rich iodine diet for Hashimoto's suffers would highly risk themselves for the progress of Hypothyroidism, and intentionally Low Iodine diet would lower or delay the progress of Hypothyroidism. Is it true? I am Hashimoto's and now dx as Hypothyroidism, Would low iodine diet be better for me? Thanks.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Re: Low Iodine diet is good for Hashimoto's and relieve HypoT?

Anyone has opinions on it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi 77,

I, too wonder about the effect of a low iodine diet. I eat a egg/milk vegetarian diet. I have thyroiditis. I use 1/2 tsp of iodized salt a day which contains the amount of iodine needed daily. If I need more salt, I use non-iodized salt. I avoid other sources of iodine such as fish, sea salt etc. Fam

Old 08-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
(female)

forevergimpy HB User

I would love to hear more about this because I have Hashmoto's and hyop and my doc actually prescribed iodine suppliments! I never noticed a difference in how I felt, but I hated having to take them (they tasted awful!!).

Old 08-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

That is awful, your doctor asked you to take more iodine?

Last edited by moderator2; 08-12-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Hi, fam, what do you mean by "1/2 tsp"?

My favorite daily diet is fish, other types of sea food, and duck, I am considering to cut down the absorption of iodine, too, at least to to use non-iodized salt.

I am now "researching" and calculating how much iodine a person needs (There is a stadard range from WHO) and gonna prevent from taking more than the margin level.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Jenny,

Great games from China. Loved the opening show. BTW one of my grandchildren is adopted from China. She is so smart & very pretty.

Too much iodine or too little iodine can cause the thyroid to swell.

Here in the US 150 mcg (micrograms) is the amount of iodine that is listed as the requirement. While over 2,000 micrograms a day of iodine is the amount of iodine that can harm the body & is considered toxic (cause harm.) This information came from a book called Nutrition by Frances Sizer & Eleanor Whitney which is a college textbook published in 2,000. They got their info from government sources.

Tsp means a teaspoon using a standard measuring spoon. 1/2 means a half of a teaspoon. Do you use measuring spoons in cooking?

If you eat fish from the sea, I don't understand why you would need iodized salt. You should be getting more than enough iodine.

Fam

Old 08-11-2008, 05:48 AM   #8
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Smile Re: Low Iodine diet is good for Hashimoto's and relieve HypoT?

Hi, fam. Thanks for compliment for the ceremony. It does cost huge to make such a show.

For the amount of iodine, 150 mcg per day is the standard for everyone? I just read a book for clinical reference which was written by Japanese doctors that said more than 6mg per day (6 mg is the margin) is too much for those who have thyroid related diseases

And it said that low iodine diet could probably make the Hashimoto's victims who suffer from Hypothyroidism recover euthyroid! Is it possible?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
(female)

NAJ HB User

I have autoimmune hypothyroid, and my doctor tested me for iodine, and i was low in it. So he put me on Iodoral (iodine), and almost a year later, my thyroid antibodies were way lower. He thinks it's because of the iodine. That may be true or it may be other factors, who reallly knows. But the point is it didn't make my autoimmune problems worse.

Guess it depends on what your iodine levels are to begin with. I did an iodine loading test where you take 4 Iodoral pills, and collect a daY'S urine. They test to see how much you excrete.

Doctor also says iodine helps protect against breast cancer.

NJ

Old 08-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
(female)

tired47 HB User

Hi All! I posted on another thread some ?? about iodine. I am being tested for hypothyroid but have some symptoms of Hyper such as cardiac arrythmia, palps, large weight loss. A nutritionist recommended iodine to help my Verapamil meds ( for heart)as well as boost my thyroid. She said to start out verrrrrry slow. There is a great site on iodine which supports her ideas, but I am waiting for the endo to give me the green light too. Anyone else have ideas or personal experience???

Old 08-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Oh, but I read about that Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism sufferers could not take more iodine. I am confused.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

In my Thyroid Source Book by Rosenthal who is a well known medical writer, it says that a great many Asians who come to the US & adopt a high iodine diet often develop thyroid cancer. Research is going on to find the reason for this. This book was written in the year 2,000.

Did you mean 6 mg (milligrams) or 6 mcg (micrograms?)

Micrograms are much less than milligrams.

Fam

Old 08-12-2008, 05:52 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi 47,

I would consult an MD before adding iodine. B/P meds can be very dangerous especially when mixed with something else. Not a lot is known about these meds. Fam

Old 08-12-2008, 05:58 AM   #14
(female)

alikat709 HB User

Drs. brownstein,and abraham and many many others ARE treating patients with graves and hashi's with iodine . I do not have hashi's , but I was dx goiter in 1990,and had RAI in 2005, On synthroid for 18yrs, 14 of them were ok. but for the past 4 ,esp after the RAI . My levels have been all over the place and would not regulate.

Since june 12th I have switched to armour and am soooooo much better than I ever was on synthroid. The iodine I am taking is LUGOLS solution 5%. The iodine has helped with my heart palps and I think it is helping my eyes that were damaged from the RAI (double vision) . I take 4 drops /day which is 25mg. It is also proven to shrink nodules.

I also have an ovarian cyst and fibrocystic breast that the iodine will help to get rid of. The goiter, and cyst, are all related to an iodine deficiency. Just do your research and the facts are there... iodine4health is a great place to start.
kathy

Last edited by moderator2; 08-12-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: do not direct off board searches

Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Thanks, 409,

I'll check out the resource. How does your Dr. feel about your taking iodine?

I've had so many serious drug reactions that I would be scared to take anything without talking it over with my DRs & researching it to death. I have serious damage to my knees, hands, & upper arms plus bone marrow from a b/p meds & I was only on it for 13 days. This damage limits my lifestyle a lot.

From what I have learned we all can process meds differently depending on our genetic makeup. That's what causes the reactions.

Glad iodine is working for you.

Fam

Closed Thread