It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

grochods HB User
Unhappy Hypothyroid???

Hey everyone! I have been suffering from a horrible depression for a year now. I am always freezing, I am always constipated, I have acid reflux, my metabolism has been aweful (I limit myself in calories yet I still gain weight), I can never sleep, I am always pale in my face, my muscles are constantly fatiged, the list goes on. My boyfriend mentioned to me that It could be an underactive thyroid and since I was warned in the past that my levels were off I had blood taken. The results came back as follows:
T4 - 12.6 UG/DL (Showed up as out of range)
TSH - 3.37 mIU/L
T3 - 156 ng/dL

I am only 18 years old and I am very active. My depression and metabolism are so bad that I will just cry and choose to not eat. I have always been very thin but recently gained 5 lbs in 2 weeks for no reason at all. I went to see an endocrinologist and he told me that he cant help me because he doesnt think I have an underactive thyroid. I know he is wrong. I am going to someone else. I also had my blood test late in the afternoon so it is possible that the results could be even worse. Any advice?? Thanks

Old 08-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hypothyroid???

We need to see the ranges for T4 and T3 to tell you anything. Also helps to know whether they are free or total T4/T3. Please post that info so we can try to help.

I will say that your TSH is high-normal on any range and is suspicious of hypothyroidism.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
(female)

grochods HB User

its the total t4, but i have heard all different ranges and according to the American Thyroid Association, My TSH ranges should be between 0.4 and 2.5 mU/L. this is really frustrating. I have an appointment tomorrow with a supposedly good endocrinologist so hopefully I figure this whole thing out before I leave for college :-/

Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
its the total t4, but i have heard all different ranges
The lab that ran the test sets the range, and those can vary. A typical range for total T4 would be about 5-12 µ/dL. So, yours would be high. Ordinarily, high T4 indicates hypERthyroidism, not hypO. But your result means little, because that test has a considerable error rate and would be influenced by estrogen-containing birth control, among other things. Get your MD to run the free T4 test instead of total T4.
Other valuable tests would be free T3 and the thyroid antibodies against TPO and Tg.

Let us know what you find out, and if we can help further.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
(female)

grochods HB User

So i just got back from viewing my second lab results as well as the sonagram results and it turns out that i have subclinical hypothyroidism. My tsh this time was 4.96 (.45-4.5). I have to wait a month though to be treated for some reason. I also have a large nodule that will eventually need to be taken out. that other dr. was a moron. this dr. said that if i didnt get it treated it would turn into hashimotos!!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

its a good thing you got another opinion. i dont' know why so many endos are idiots. its an epidemic.

if i were you, i'd get a 3rd opinion. i'm not sure i understand how a nodule could turn into hashimotos. i can see how it might make your thyroid hypoactive, but hashimotos is a little different in that it is an autoimmune disease. maybe i'm not educated enough about nodules to understand. still, another opinion wouldn't hurt. i don't understand why you have to wait a month for treatment. what kind of treatment is the doc suggesting?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
that other dr. was a moron. this dr. said that if i didnt get it treated it would turn into hashimotos!!
Scoot said it more diplomatically than I would that a third opinion might be warranted. If the new endo phrased it exactly that way... "would turn into Hashimoto's"... He's a moron, too. Hashi's either is or it isn't. Nothing else can "turn into" it.
Maybe you just misunderstood what he said?

Closed Thread