It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User
Phantosmia and Thyroid Disease??

I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's for about five years now. The medication works great and I feel great. About six months ago I started noticing a very strong, unpleasant odor and could not figure out where it was coming from. I changed my soap, lotion, perfume - I even thought it might be from my dry cleaner. None of the changes helped and when my husband said he could not smell the same thing I was smelling I figured I must be imagining it. After some research, I figure I must have what is called phantosmia (basically smell hallucinations) and I've seen a few posts that have loosely tied it to others who have thyroid disease so I thought I'd ask here. Does anyone else have this? Is there anything that can be done about it? It is driving me crazy!!!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Phantosmia and Thyroid Disease??

Interesting........I smell things all the time that are not there........cigs, flowers, cooking smells........I connected it to the afterlife world..
Interesting subject.......never a bad smell though........Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

blondee028 HB User

I was diag. with Hashimoto"s about 3 yrs ago, it just started happening to me , and the strange thing is I am a smoker. But the past two weeks I can't seem to stand the smell of cigarettes and I am begining to smell it on others ( which I never did) My strength of smell has increased so much, seems everytime I light up I take two puffs and put it out..

Old 08-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I have a strong "smeller) as my husband likes to say. But I have always had it. I have thyroiditis. I used to teach a smoking cessation class. One night we had a re-union for past students who had quit. Well, one new student got her dates mixed up & cam in. Right away the students who had quit told her how much she smelled of tobacco.

Our sense of taste comes mostly from our sense of smell. So when one smokes, he or she doesn't get the most taste from food.

My mother-in-law used to make the best desserts but she never ate them. Once she quit smoking she found desserts much more tempting.

It's a blessing & a pain to smell so well. These new soaps with their strong odors drive me crazy. I've had to ask repairmen to not wear their aftershave etc when coming to my house. The odor lingers for forever & I have to go around opening all the window & turning on the fans. Fam

Last edited by famnd; 08-08-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
(female)

waratah HB User

Hi all,

Ohh my goodness, Meeee toooo!

I'm hashi (Dx 2007) and I too have those phantom smells. I was rigging up a sailing boat on the beach and had a strong smell of cookies baking, then last week I asked my Yr 11 class, "OK, who's got the cinnamon doughnuts- and are there enough for everyone." Ohh toooo toooo funny, well the class got a great laugh. Then today whilst having a rest, a really really strong smell of lanolin handcream, but not one ounce of handcream in sight. Tooo too funny.
But, my sense of taste is quite dull.
Regards, waratah
p.s. will these strange hashi symptoms ever be believed by those bastions of science - the medic's? lol . . . .

Old 08-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
(female)

nicglo12 HB User

This is so interesting. I had posted about this in the past and kind of forgot this was a symptom of mine. I would smell smoke. Not cigarette smoke, but forest fire smoke. Living in Southern California, I always thought it was coming from the landscape until after one too many times of asking about the local fire only to find it was coming from me! Since starting treatment, I haven't noticed this near as much, only a rare once in a while.

Closed Thread