It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

arizo01 HB User
scheduled surgery

Hi everybody, I'm schedule for surgery sept the 2nd. Needless to say I'm a nervous wreck, never had major surgery in my life. The surgeon gave me the two same options that my endo did: have not surgery and having to be test every six months for my follicular endoplasm nodule and expect having maybe more nodules ( I already have a total of 5 with a predominant one that measures 2.5 cm) or have surgery and done with the problem. They say is not urgent but because I'm planing a trip by the end of october I wanna be fine by then, so I guess having surgery a month and a half before is going to give me plenty of time to recoup. My biopsy came back negative for cancer but because of the disrupted nature of the epithelial fragments limits evaluation giving the possibility of a follicular lesion (adenoma or carcinoma)
Now that I'm all set I'm having heart palpitations and I notice when I go to sleep if I stay on my back have difficulty breathing, if possible that my nodules are compressing my trachea limiting my intake of air? If I sleep on my sides nothing happen, no problem. Also I asked to have an ekg and a chest x-ray, my father had a heart attack when he was my age, 47 and die 15 years later as a result of heart disease. The surgeon told me that my father was male and therefore I shouldn't be concern, my blood tests in my annual physical came all between the normal ranges, hdl, ldl, blood sugar, tryglycerides, all normal, and I'm not overweight. Any input anybody?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: scheduled surgery

Hi Ariz,

You just have to read posts on this site to see that different people can have different outcomes after surgery. Best to go on vacation & then have surgery. Fam

Old 08-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

An EKG is not an unreasonable request.......call and talk to the Anesthesiologist who will be putting you to sleep and he can order one before surgery...especially because of your concern and family history.......they are inexpensive, easy and quick. There was a time an EKG was done on everyone before a surgery if age 40 or older..

I have not had my thyroid out ( yet) but everyone is different. Some people take longer to recover from the surgery and take longer to adjust to the medications........some people it is really easy..........each is different.....

You said all your labs were normal but did they re check your tsh t4 and t3?

Let us know what happens and Good Luck and God Bless you.....Oleander

Old 08-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
(female)

KrissyMae18 HB User

When I went in for my thyroidectomy, they did an EKG as procedure before the surgery. Unfortunately, they didn't do bloodwork before I went in to have the surgery and the bloodwork at the hospital came back that I was too anemic to have the surgery and therefore they sent me home w/o it. But they DID do the EKG....I'm 44 so maybe it is standard procedure after 40

Old 08-10-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
(female)

mistygreen HB User

HI ArizoO1 I have heard that pre op testing should be done between ten days and three weeks prior to scheduled surgery. You.. you do NEED an ekg no matter what.. and a variety of labs...including a PTT (prothrombine)test to see how your blood clots... I also think they should type and cross so they know your BLOOD TYPE, should any transfusions be necessary ( unlikely, but better to be safe). and re VACATION...If your surgery is nonemergent , I agree you should got ON VACATION first... as someone else said, everyone heals differently... so if you don't want to worry about your stamina for your trip, I agree you should go on vation first. You can then enjoy those memories while you recuperate.. otherwise you are under too much pressure to be ready for a trip, when you actually may need more time to feel your best... Enjoy your vacation and good luck with your surgery.......Misty

Last edited by mistygreen; 08-10-2008 at 05:02 AM. Reason: typos

Old 08-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
(female)

arizo01 HB User

Thank you everybody for your input!!!!
I will re-schedule my surgery for after my trip, I'm too concerned now about getting better, I remember it took me almost 2 months to feel better when I started the levoxyl so I'll call my surgeon tomorrow and re-schedule.Yes, is not urgent, that's what he said and my endo said too, there were not any cancer cells in my biopsy. I'm thinking also to get to a cardiologist and get that worry out of my mind, with my family history and all, get what I need to get done before surgery so I'll be more relaxed then. I'll keep you guys posted!!

Old 08-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
(female)

arizo01 HB User
Talking Re: scheduled surgery

Guys I realized I did not answer all your questions, for the tsh t3 and t4 they only did the tsh when I was first diagnosed back in the beginning of May, then another one on July but both were ordered by my primary physician and only did the tsh, now I have another blood test schedule for september ordered by my endo and that one yes has t3, t4 and tsh, so right now I only now my tsh which came back in july 10.500 (it went down from 12.500 when I was first diagnosed). The other blood test I had was a physical I had every year by this time and everything was between normal range. The surgeon said to go 1 week before surgery and they will order the necessary tests, I specifically asked for a cardiopulmonary and he agreed. I was not aware that you can talk to your anesthesiologist and discuss whatever you need, I will request that at the time of the pre-surgery appointment. I am so glad I came across this board, it helps a lot and make me feel that i am not alone !!!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Ariz,

Someone on the board suggested asking one's Dr. if calcium supplements should be taken before surgery. Sometimes the parathyroids are accidently damaged so that blood calcium gets pretty low & causes problems. My daughter had a terrible time getting her calcium back up because all four of the para's were removed. Make sure your calcium levels are tested after surgery.

If you have any allergies (food or others like latex), make sure to tell the Dr. & nurses. If you smoke, make sure you ask the surgeon about how to handle that. Also, tell the Dr. about any supplements as well as drugs that you take even something like garlic tablets. My son had to stop these because of a possible bleeding issue.

When I was very ill 5 yrs ago, I was not prepared because my thyroiditis came on so suddenly. Luckily, I had a freezer full of home cooked meals but I didn't have hardly any videos etc. I was in so much pain & was hyperthyroid. Even though I love to read, I was too weak & tired to even do that. But watching funny shows in the middle of the night like MASH etc helped pass the time when I couldn't sleep because my heart was pounding so much.

In case, you get into the calcium issues & have to stay an extra 4 or five days in the hospital, get some heavy duty ear plugs. Hospitals are so noisy. My son broke his back & was in pain in the Intensive care for 6 wks. We had to run around the city he was in to find some good ear plugs. Luckily, Dicks was within driving distance. Then I ordered a even better headset type for use at home. Rest is so important for recovery.

Treat yourself to some comfy pj's & a light blanket & take your special pillow. Just like kids, we find comfort in the little things.

I know you'll worry about having surgery, but you might be interested to know what DR. Dean Edell said regarding this when a listner asked about the risks. Everytime we get into our cars, we are taking a greater risk of dying than if we had surgery. Take care. Fam

Last edited by famnd; 08-10-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
(female)

arizo01 HB User

Thanks for your input. I wear earplugs since I couldn't sleep due to my hustand snoring so I carry these anywhere I go!!!

Closed Thread