It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

tired47 HB User
Smile diagnosing thyroid issues

Hi All!!! I have some questions. Here is my story- had lt thyroid lobectomy due to large growing benign nodules in Aug 2006!! Surgery was a breeze, no problem. Post op/ 2 months had "normal levels" so no medication, but had 15 lb weight gain, heart palps. Jan 07 treated for H pylori, and had chest pain, severe fatigue,heart palps, anxiety,and weight loss of over 40 lbs in one year. Have seen 3endo's, finally 3rd says levels are very low normal and retesting me. Here are my levels... what do you all think??? What should I ask? I had complete cardiac/GI workup... all normal except I am now on Verapamil for documented heart arrythmia... which cardio has NO idea. He just keeps saying are you sure your thyroid is normal???? New endo says I have symptoms of both hypo and hyper... and it is possible. Other endo's have said it is all "my head". Funny how I was okay til I had the thyroid surgery and now my life is a living nightmare... to put it lightly. Also a nutritionist recommended iodine supplements ( start out very slow she said) to help with my thyroid function and heart palps. Anyone use it??? Here are my levels... any ideas are ALWAYS appreciated.

TSH -1.437
Free T4 - .8
total T3 - 88.0

New endo says she is rechecking antbiodies ( was negative in April) and rescanning ( ultrasound) thyroid. Previous scan showed multiple nodular goiter in remaining rt half.
Thanks everyone!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
(female)

T4T3hell HB UserT4T3hell HB User
Re: diagnosing thyroid issues

You don't give ranges---but it looks like your t3 levels are high.
That would account for the weightloss, rapid heartbeat, etc.
Can you find the ranges?
I agree with your cardiologist---I don't think your thyroid is normal.
Maybe it's time for a good endo---not a pretendo?

PS---It is possible to have hypo and hyper---it could all be in your head---a TSH secreting pituitary tumor---(very rare)---or it could be that your pituitary is developing problems---more common.
Get copies of your labs---double and triple check things---and then get a second opinion from someone who really knows what they are doing (this may be next to impossible unfortunately---I think too many endos got into the field so they could work with diabetics).
Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by T4T3hell; 08-09-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
(female)

tired47 HB User

Hi! Thanks ... here are the ranges

Free T4 - .8 range is .8- 1.5

Free T3 - 88.0 range is 82.- 179.0

TSH 1.437 range is .5-4.50

PS- LOVE the location- Hormone Hell!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by tired47; 08-09-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: because

Old 08-10-2008, 05:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: diagnosing thyroid issues

Hi tired47
So your T3 & T4's are on the bottom rung of the ladder WITHOUT your tsh being elevated. But it still makes for one lady. What is your Doctors plan? A little medicine could go a l l l o o n n n g g way with you. Hopefully your Doc can SEE that.

oh my gosh
Quote:
PS- LOVE the location- Hormone Hell!!!!!!!!!!!
SILLY ME never noticed that - very clever

Old 08-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

tired... See how your free Ts are at the very bottom of their ranges? That's not "normal". Hardly anyone functions well when their FTs are less than at the range mid-points. Many need them even higher than mid-points. Am I to understand you aren't taking thyroid hormone now? If so... Honey, find yourself a real MD and get yourself some!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
(female)

tired47 HB User

Thanks all!! It is hard to find a "good" dr. We shall see what this one proposes, after more bloodwork/tests. I am not on any meds now, was told I was in normal range by two previous endos, a family dr.
Still- does anyone else have cardiac arrythmia from thyroid ( never had before my thryoid surgey). I am currently on Verapamil, was on Cardizem, neither have worked well all the time. Off and on episodes of chest pain, palps, just feeling crappy. Cardiologist kept saying ,"Are you sure your thyroid is normal?"
Well any ideas for that part would be great. I was told ( by nutritionist)iodine would help with cardiac issues and thyroid issues? Anyone else use it?? Or any other ideas would be great!!! And what would be better thyroid meds- synthyroid, armour??? Thanks again!!

Closed Thread