It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
(male)

tootal2 HB User
Does low thyroid affect my voice?

Does low thyroid affect my voice? I know it can make it sound horse sometimes. but my thyroid is bigger on the left side and thats where it hurts. Can that affect my voice?

my hand writing seems better since i been on thyroid meds. It use to be very bad.

thanks

Old 08-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Does low thyroid affect my voice?

It can, then again many things can affect your vocal cords. Do you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis? My ENT sees alot of Hashimoto's patients and they often complain of vocal hoarseness. In his opinion it is a side effect of the thyroiditis.. inflammation of the thyroid interfering with the vocal cords and surrounding tissue. When thyroid hormone levels are suboptimal or low.. you often have inflammation or swelling of the thyroid as the TSH rises and your thyroid tries to meet demands (IF you still have your thyroid).

I know from personal experience if I am having high hashimoto's antibody attack OR low thyroid hormone, my voice can come and go like a mysterious never ending case of laryngitis. It is worse in the morning before I get my daily dose of thyroid hormone and better around midday when my levels have peaked.

However I have also had my voice effected by allergies, colds/viruses, and reflux. SO you need to make sure that you have looked into all possible avenues before just blamming the thyroid. I will admit.. I LOVE to blame my thyroid for my issues.. and many times it is the thyroid or something else in my endocrine system. All in all when you have a dysfunctional thyroid or endocrine system things will go wrong and take a while to get back on track. It is hard to compensate with pills for a gland that when working well adjusts levels to suit on a minute by minute basis. Most only take supplementation once a day.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
(male)

tootal2 HB User

When i put my head down my neck feels big on my left side

Old 08-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

It sounds like you have one lobe that is inflammed/swollen more than another. It is very common. Have you had an ultrasound of your thyroid. Getting an ultrasound will show you size and node anomolies. Also if you haven't been tested for Hashimoto's it may be worth the blood draw.

MG

Closed Thread