It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User
New to thyroid stuff...TT in Sept...what to expect?

I'm new to the thyroid board, but have gotten help/support from other subjects here. Had a trip to the endo for biopsy of the MULTIPLE nodules on my thyroid. Also, a 5mm goiter on one side. Endo calls last week, I need to have a total thyroidectomy. Once it's out, they will rebiopsy it because the first was undeterminable....too many cells or something like that. So, now it's thyroid meds forever and possibly radiation....depends on how the next biopsy comes out. What can I expect during/after the surgery? Will I be able to talk afterwards? What effects can be caused from the thyroid meds? Weight gain? Weight loss? Lack of energy? More energy? This is all new to me. My thyroid function was in question, but the last few blood tests all showed normal function. I guess he wants it out because of the number of nodules. Also, I think he's concerned that it may be malignant. I'm not sure. I have a consult with surgeon 8/27 to find out more. Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help. :-)

---mmmcoffee

Old 08-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: New to thyroid stuff...TT in Sept...what to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post
I'm new to the thyroid board, but have gotten What can I expect during/after the surgery? Will I be able to talk afterwards? What effects can be caused from the thyroid meds? Weight gain? Weight loss? Lack of energy? More energy? This is all new to me. My thyroid function was in question, but the last few blood tests all showed normal function.
Often a lobe with a goiter/nodule is a MAL-functioning one. I'd suggest that you EDUCATE yourself. There are some good books: Living Well w/ hypo-thy, Thyroid Power, (written by Dr/husband & Nurse/wife team, she is hypo), and the new Stop the thyroid madness (just ordered my copy)

I had one enlarged, non-cancerous thy lobe removed Oct 05. My surgery was early in the morning. I spent the night, going home late the next afternoon. Sucking on ice chips & keeping a cool cloth on my neck helped. The recliner was my friend for the 1st week or so. Remember that everyone is different. I was off work (teacher) for 2.5 weeks, could have been a bit longer. While I've heard of some who were climbing the walls after only 1.5 weeks off. Depends on you & how you make a living , , ,

Getting stabilized on meds can take time. You could have some weight gain & energy loss while in the process of being leveled. Honestly, I don't expect to get back to 100% of the old me, but I don't think that 85-90% is an unreasonable expectation.

Ask for & get copies of your labs EACH & every time
It's interesting to see what Dr's think is normal that most ALWAYS turns out to barely be IN range

hope I've helped keep us posted
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread