It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User
anyone had total thyroidectomy?

Hello again. I posted before but haven't gotten any responses. Medically, I'm a wreck, I think. I miscarried my first pregnancy (I'm 38....long story) last Sunday.on Monday, the Endo called and said I'd need my thyroid taken out due to the goiter and numebr of nodules. The biopsy was inconclusive..not sure what that means, but he wants another biopsy also. What can I expect from the surgery? Afterwards? Thanks

---mmmcoffee

Old 08-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
(female)

kcf71 HB User
Re: anyone had total thyroidectomy?

Hi mmm,

I had a total thyroidectomy aka T.T. on June 9th of this year. I too had a multi nodule goiter. The procedure went very well and I only took pain medicine the first day post surgery. My neck was a little stiff and sore for about 2 weeks afterwards but like I said, not very painful at all. I'm not totally sure what an inconclusive biposy means (and someone can definitely correct me if I'm wrong) but I think it means there wasn't enough tissue for a good sample. It's good he's asking for you to get another one...atleast he's being attentive! That's half the battle!

Good luck,
Kellie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

I'm so sorry about your miscarriage. I lost one too. My heart goes out to you.

I had a TT in late 2006. I was home in less than 24 hours. Didn't need pain meds. My neck was a little stiff for awhile but I stretched it as much as I could - when I'd healed enough. I was driving in under a week.

I've had a LOT of surgeries but this one was, by far, the easiest.

Take care,

((HUGS))

Lisa

Old 08-12-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Thanks for your responses. As far as the biopsy goes, he said usually you get a certain number of cells. I guess mine had tons more than usual. It was in that percentage of "can't really tell, need another" I guess. He could tell that it needed to come out though. Even though it's functioning normally, I guess the nodules and stuff are too much. It's just been a rough few months. I've never been hospitalized for anything before, and in May it started with an ovarian cyst the size of a tennis ball! It's been non stop ever since it seems. I'll get more info after the consult with the surgeon. I have a list of questions for him. The Endo did say I may need radiation after the surgery. Why, if they remove the whole thing along with the nodules, would I still need radiation? To make sure nothing's still left? I just don't really want to deal with thyroid cancer. I hope it doesn't go that way. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your responses!

---mmmcoffee

Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
(female)

sandy8888 HB User

Hi...I just got my results from an ultrasound and FNA biobsy that was done on two left nodules. My endo said I need to have my left lobe removed and refered me to a surgeon. One of the nodules indicated no malignancy, but the other was inconclusive...many folicular cells, but couldn't tell if they were cancerous or not...
So he said he thinks I need a surgeon to remove them, do a frozen section to see if it's cancer and then if it is, take the entire thyroid.
They also checked for hashimotos..that was negative.
I'm pretty worried about it.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
(female)

kcf71 HB User

Did he say radiation or radioactive? Only asking cuz I got the two confused. I'm getting radioactive iodine therapy also known as RAI in the upcoming weeks to destroy the rest of the thyroid tissue (whether or not there is any cancer left). It's a precaution so that it doesn't leave any tissue available for anything else to develop.

Doctors and friends alike have said thyroid cancer is the "best" to get in terms of prognosis. Any cancer is scary but they do have a point. I think it's because it's both slow growing and not rapidly spread to areas other than the thyroid. But trust me I know how you feel [removed]

Please bring your attention to the Posting Rules. You may not ask for or offer contact information to or from members of the board. Boards are for anonymous use only. Features such as email and private messaging have been turned off for this purpose. Please review the Posting Rules

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-14-2008 at 05:52 AM.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

Hi mmm -

Yes, the radioactive iodine treatment, known as "RAI" is given after surgery. The way it was explained to me is that there are microscopic thyroid cells left behind after surgery, no matter how excellent the surgeon (and mine was excellent). The RAI is given in order to kill off any thyroid cancer cells that remain in the body.

I am about 4 months post op from a TT and 9 days out from my RAI. My RAI was postponed due to complications from my surgery, but I was not the norm, so don't worry yourself unnecessarily. I am so sorry about your miscarriage. You are dealing with alot. Take good care & let us all know how you're doing There is very good support here along with very knowledgeable people

Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
(female)

DzrtRose1977 HB User

Hi MmmmCoffee! Love the name, that's what I say every time I allow myself to have some, lol.

I, too, am sorry for your pregnancy loss. I've had oodles of infertility problems, so my heart really goes out to you.

My TT was a little unusual, too, but most are as easy. My biopsy came back as cancer, and we already knew I had multiple nodules. My thyroid ended up being 11 cm from end to end ("normal" is 1-2 cm) so I was in surgery for twice as long as they thought I would be. I also had calcium issues so I had to stay in the hospital an extra 4 days. BUT, even with my complications it was a relatively easy surgery with a minimal scar. I had no voice problems (although that happens in rare cases) and recovered from the surgery within a week or two. However, I couldn't start thyroid meds because I had to do the radioactive iodine treatment (RAI). My TSH got up to 164 before the RAI, which made me miserable (tired ALL the time, achy, anxious). Usually, Dr.s will only have you follow up with RAI if you have cancer and really need to kill any leftover thyroid tissue. Let's hope yours does not turn out cancerous. The only way to be 100% sure is to take it out and do the frozen biopsy. FNA's have a 10% or so chance to be wrong, so it's good your Dr. is thorough. I'll be praying for you!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
(female)

beth67 HB User

I had a t.t. in march of 05'. Was concerned about being put under but it turned out to be no big deal as a matter of fact it was the best nap I've ever had. The only problem I had after surgery was my parathyroid glands stopped working. Sometimes they can go into shock during surgery because they are so close to the thyroid gland. They control the calcium level in your blood and it feels awful when your levels are low. I later learned the nurse should have been checking in on me and doing a cheek test to see if my levels were getting low. My sister in law who is a nurse said that was really bad of them not to be checking on me and she said it would have been good to have someone there to see if I kept touching my cheek because when your calcium is low you get tingly in the face especially around the mouth. I had been touching my face alot around my mouth after surgery right before I felt like I was going to pass out from low calcium. Called the nurse who hadn't checked on me for six hours and it took her 15 minutes to get to me and I must have looked really bad because she ordered and iv of something to get my levels back up. Really bad experience. So make sure you have someone there to keep an eye on you because you may not realize your doing it (touching your face alot). Good luck

Closed Thread