It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

U2Kimmy HB User
Question Need Feedback

Hi everyone! Im brand new to this site and wanted to run a few things by you and see what you think. I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about a month ago and I have also had lupus for over 20 years (im now 42 years old). My lupus has been under control for many years with no flare ups.
I had all the classic symptoms of fibromyalgia...fatigue, muscle pain, etc...

Anyway, after further educating myself on the subject, I have run across numerous articles where they believe that fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome are really a thyroid disorder. That they are actually manifestations of thryroid disease or some type of metabolic problem tied to thyroid function.

My T3, T4 and FSH all fell in the normal ranges, but I have read that many people have not been diagnosed with thyroid disease until the testing went a little more specific.

Anything you can share with me regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I am also currently running a low grade (99.4) fever every day for the past few weeks. Is this a symptom of a thyroid disorder?

Thanks and look forward to your comments.

Kimmy

Old 08-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Need Feedback

Dr. John Lowe is one of the leading fibromyalgia experts who says that its origin is low thyroid function. Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum also speaks to the subject.

The best tests for detection of low thyroid are TSH, free T4, free T3 (not "total" T4/T3), and the thyroid antibodies - TPO and Tg. The leading cause of low thyroid is an autoimmune disease caused by those antibodies. Since you already have one AI disease, you probably know you are prone to others. The antibody tests are an all-important diagnostic tool, especially for people like you.

When free T4 and/or free T3 is/are below 50% of the lab reference ranges, most people will have symptoms. But most MDs will tell them that their levels are "normal" and can't be causing symptoms just because they are in range. I want you to know that simply having levels within the lab range does NOT mean you are automatically thyroid-healthy. Neither low-normal nor high-normal levels of the free Ts are "normal" for the majority of the population.

If your TSH is higher than 2 - 2.5, you are likely hypothyroid. Even though that's well within the typical lab range, healthy people have an average TSH of about 1. The American Acad of Clinical Endos says that the TSH ranges at most labs are too broad and miss many occult cases of primary hypoT. My former primary MD told me that my 4.83 TSH on a range that ended at 5.0 was "normal", but that he would treat if it went above 6. (Did I mention he was my "former" primary? Dolt.)

The fever would not be a typical symptom of low thyroid. Most often, a hypothyroid person's basal temp would average 96 or so. But I won't go so far as to say low-grade fever couldn't happen to a hypothyroid person.

If you care to share your lab results with the board, we may be able to help you interpret them for yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
(female)

U2Kimmy HB User

Hi there Midwest! Thanks for the info...I am trying to educate myself as much as possible on the subject. The following are my lab results:

T3 30
T4 (Total) 9.5
T4 Free 2.9
TSH 1.68

They all fell in the "normal range" but I was just wondering, is there a test I should request from the doc just to be sure???? I know it took 6 different tests for my grandmother to be diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

I am so grateful for these message boards....what a great way to exchange info, vent and talk to people who truly understand.

Take care!
Kimmy

Old 08-13-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Need Feedback

Hi U2Kimmy ~ Get a copy of your labs EACH & E V E R Y time. It's interesting to see what Dr's call normal, that USUALLY has plenty of room for improvement while still WITHIN range.

Post the lab ranges along WITH your results. All labs are not the same & many here don't like to guess. Example Free T4 (range .8 1.8) mine .8 So I'm low though my (just fired) Dr would say normal .

midwest made a wonderful point *I* don't feel ' 'normal' ' with my T4's on the bottom rung of the ladder (range). Yet my newly fired Dr. would tell you "studies show that patients don't feel DIFFERENT w/ their levels farther INTO range" From personal experience, I know *that* is total Baldderdash.

Another normal example: I was told normal when my TSH was 4.79 which *DID* fall within the old, OLD ranges. But had my primecare-Dr BOTHERED to look at 5 month old labs, PERHAPS the increase from 1.23 to 4.79 would of been a CONCERN instead of normal

Old 08-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, we need to know the lab's reference range for each test to help you there.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
(female)

U2Kimmy HB User

Hi everyone...here are my lab results with the "normal ranges":

T-3 30 (22 - 35)

T-4 Total 9.5 (4.5 - 12.5)

Free T4 2.9 (1.4 - 3.8)

TSH 1.68 (.4 - 4.5)

Just noticed that I had my TSH done 2 days prior with my gyno and it was
.63. So in 2 days it went to 1.68??????????

Anyway, just curious if I should ask for a more specific test for thyroid...only because I believe that alot of the fibromyalgia people suffer from a thyroid disorder.

Thanks,
Kimmy

Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your labs are not obviously hypothyroid. But that's the thing... I think that Dr. Lowe's theory is not so much that low hormone levels cause the fibro, but that the cells aren't making proper use of the hormone that's there.

Maybe you would find more information you can use in his book [i]The Metabolic Treatment of Fibromyalgia[/] and his other writings.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
(female)

U2Kimmy HB User

Thanks for the recommendation Midwest...I will be sure to take a look at that book.

Kimmy

Closed Thread