It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
(female)

kassikoo HB User
Question ? on T3, & THYRIOD OR HEART

Hi ?1, i am going to have a T£ test done and my GP said i could maybe do with some T3 what would my result have to be to warrent this and what does this do and what sort of amounts does it come in.

?2, can thyroid cause osophegus trouble, i have been given inhibitors to heal it.
On Sunday night i had realy bad chest pain that went right through to my back and my left arm felt funny and my left hand then started to tingle and my fingers, the pain sterted like a cramping getting tighter and tighter my gp listend to my heart and said he didnt think it was that, i do have tricupid reguritation of the heart and ventricular etopic beats and increased rates and rare atrial premature beats i have t go back and see the GP on fri so if anyone could give me any advise for then it would be appreciated thanks kassi

Old 08-13-2008, 04:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: ? on T3, & THYRIOD OR HEART

Hi Kassi
Quote:
my GP said i could maybe do with some T3
what would my result have to be to warrent this
and what does this do
and what sort of amounts does it come in.
In the US, T3 is Cytomel (sorry don't know what it's called in UK) . Your Doctor is most likely prescribing it if your T3 tests are low. Cytomel would raise T3 #'s while lowering the TSH. (again here in US) Cytomel comes in 5, 10, 25 mcg pills. A small dose can go a l o n g way

Quote:
?2, can thyroid cause osophegus trouble
Being UNDER medicated can cause all sorts of medical side effects. Don't know if yours are included. I remember fainting when I was really sick with a cough. At the time I was hypo and NOT medicated at all.

Have you been told you have a thyroid nodule or goiter? That can cause discomfort in the throat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

kassikoo HB User
Re: ? on T3, & THYRIOD OR HEART

Hi Suey77 I was diagnosed 12 months ago as hypo, i am at the min haveing shared care with my GP and the thyroid register, my gp did my TSH on the 1of july and it was 0.85 then the thyroid register did it again on the 17th of july and it was 2.1 within a matter of 2 weeks i seem to go up and down scince i was diagnosed and i take 75mcgs of thyroxine between them they are talking of testing my T3 and my GP said you could prob do with some T3 and so i now have to wait untill september when they will be doing my bloods again and hopefully my T3 included then see what they decide but i think i have gone a lot more hypo as im feeling so lathargic and dont want to do much, i haveny been told i have any such lumps or swellings and no acid i told the gp this but he said no you are making too much acid in your stomach and its causeing your osphegus to contract and go into spasm and the pain can be worse than heart pain at times but im not convinced its that but im taking the medication hes given me to rule it out anyway i am still haveing pain inbetween my shoulder blades from sunday and a slight twinging in my chest as if it wants to come on again, and the only thing i am feeling in my throat when i swallow is as if there is somethink lying in there almost as if you have some food stuck and it feels as if it keeps moving up and down, but i didnt tell him about that as i thought maybe thats what it was, thanks for your reply hun kassi

Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Hey Kassi,

T3 can be prescribed any time that you do not convert your T4 to T3 well. This normally is indicated when your T4 levels are significantly higher than your T3 levels. The Total T3 test is not going to be as accurate as the FT3 test.. but it is better than nothing. Cytomel is the same brand given in the UK. If your FT4 is more than 20% higher than your T3.. then you could probably use a small dose of T3 barring adrenal issues. Have they made sure that you are not suffering from adrenal issues? Have they tested your T4 conversion yet? Run the RT3 test? Probably not. *snort*

Being hypothyroid for long periods of time can effect many of your systems. Acid production in your stomach and digestive systems are one of the first things hit. When you are hypothyroid you have a suppressed metabolism and digestion process. Low acid in the stomach, poor digestion, poor metabolism, constipation.. you get the picture. When you add thyroid medication.. your digestive track begins to come on line. The first thing many notice is increased urination.. then and ease in constipation.. acid production and strength increases as well. It is this that can cause gastroespohogial reflux.. GERD. This may go away after your medication is stabilized.. it also may be with you for the long haul. I live on Nexium or fear the Lava burps. UGH!

As to the heart.. humm.. How is your blood pressure and heart rate? Do you have a home BP monitor? It is worth the investment in my opinion. I use one morning and night and when I feel funny things in the chest or breathing just to make sure that things are doing well. My monitor gives me BP and heart rate. I get funny chest feelings on occasion as well. Often my BP and HR are not the source of the issue, but you can look into a mild beta-blocker or taking a daily children's asprin if your MD thinks that you are a likely candidate. Worrying makes it worse. So take a deep breathe and relax.

Well I am glad you are getting the T3 done and that your MD is considering T3. Keep us posted on your progress and I am hoping things continue to improve for you. Remember it can take a while for your body to get back on line, we unfortunately have to practice being patient patients.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 08-13-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Smile Re: ? on T3, & THYRIOD OR HEART

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Hey Kassi,

T3 can be prescribed any time that you do not convert your T4 to T3 well. This normally is indicated when your T4 levels are significantly higher than your T3 levels. The Total T3 test is not going to be as accurate as the FT3 test.. but it is better than nothing. Cytomel is the same brand given in the UK. If your FT4 is more than 20% higher than your T3.. then you could probably use a small dose of T3 barring adrenal issues. Have they made sure that you are not suffering from adrenal issues? Have they tested your T4 conversion yet? Run the RT3 test? Probably not.

Well I am glad you are getting the T3 done and that your MD is considering T3. Keep us posted on your progress and I am hoping things continue to improve for you. Remember it can take a while for your body to get back on line, we unfortunately have to practice being patient patients.

MG
Hi, Mkgbrook, I am glad you are always on this forum and keep helping forumers here.

I also have a low level of TT3,but I am not sure if my FT4 is more than 20% higher than T3. I am really confused about the labs results. Could you please help me?

TT3 1.28 nmol/l (1.34-2.73)
TT4 63.24 nmol/l (78.38-154.70)
FT3 4.17 pmol/l ( 2.5-6.5)
FT4 10.5 pmol/l( 11.5-23.2 )
TSH 42 mIU/l ( 0.35-5.5 )

Do I have to take T3 besides T4? (I am taking Levothyroxine T4 now)

Last edited by cutejenny77; 08-13-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey77 View Post
Hi Kassi

Your Doctor is most likely prescribing it if your T3 tests are low. Cytomel would raise T3 #'s while lowering the TSH. (again here in US) Cytomel comes in 5, 10, 25 mcg pills. A small dose can go a l o n g way

Hi, Suey77, I also have a low level of TT3 (below is my labs), do I have to take some T3? Or wait for T4 converting to T3?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Cutejenny,

Welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family.

I also have a low level of TT3, but I am not sure if my FT4 is more than 20% higher than T3. I am really confused about the labs results. Could you please help me?

Well First thing to note is that you have both the Total thyroid hormone estimates in the TT3 and TT4 as well as the more accurate ACTUAL active hormone levels in the FT3 and FT4 tests. Given the FT3 and Ft4 tests you can IGNORE the TT3 and TT4 tests. There is just too much error inherent in these tests not to take them with a salt shaker. SO let me crunch your numbers.

TT3 1.28 nmol/l (1.34-2.73) This shows you are 4.3% below normal range limits. Optimal is 50-80% in range. There is +/- 20% error to this test minimum.
FT3 4.17 pmol/l ( 2.5-6.5) Here is your +/- 2.5-5% actual result percentage: 41.75% of the normal range. This is suboptimal but not that far outside of the 50-80% optimal region. However, when I had Ft3 levels like this I felt like a well stomp cow patty. SO.. numbers are not everything.

TT4 63.24 nmol/l (78.38-154.70) Once again remember the +/-20% error in these results. This shows you to be 19.8% below normal range.

FT4 10.5 pmol/l( 11.5-23.2 ) Here is your ACTUAL more trustworthy results.. This shows you to be 28.4% below the normal range.
\
TSH 42 mIU/l ( 0.35-5.5 ) This shows that you need thyroid hormone supplementation badly.

Do I have to take T3 besides T4? (I am taking Levothyroxine T4 now)

How much T4 are you on and how long have you been on it? When do you go back to your MD? Are they testing you every 4-6 weeks or are they trying to make you do the come every 3 month lazy adjustment cycle?

Now IN MY NON-MD personal opinion, looking at your Ft3 and Ft4 results:
Your FT4 is LOWER than your FT3. Hence you do not need to add or fight for T3 supplementation at this time. You need just a T4 supplement in my opinion. Adding a T3 supplement may spike you hyper in T3 while being hypo in T4. Your Endo/MD needs to check out somethings given the Ft4/Ft3 imbalance that you have going on.

Right now you have an FT3 of 41% and an FT4 of -28.4%. This is a deviation of near 70%. This may be the result of improperly functioning adrenal glands or a thyroid binding globulin issue. Either way I strongly recommend an ACTH, Cortisol, and ACTH stimulation test be run by your MD. If you have adrenal issues it is going to make medicating your thyroid a bit trickier. Medicating hypoT with out addressing any aadrenal dysfunction first makes it pure Hades on maintaining stable and BALANCED hormone levels. This is MD recommended information as well as my personal 4 month medication battle before I was discovered to be primary adrenal insufficient.

MG

Old 08-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
(female)

ashfox2005 HB User

Are these results normal???
TSH 0.70
Range 0.30-4.82

FT4 0.67
Range 0.59-1.17

This was in April.. ive had a test since then but dont know results.. i posted a new thread on Question about HYPO---- no responses yet tho.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
(female)

kassikoo HB User

Hi MG hunny its nice of you to pop in, I miss our little chats i know your very busy though thanks for your help on this matter and i know what you mean about the burps alright lol i am haveing my T3 done hopefully in sept and my T4 so will have to see what they say and how much they really know, i have to see what doc says in the morn about my chest and osphegus. The doctor has given me beta blockers which i havent started to take yet as im scared to. but now on a good note my daughter has got into university today and got her a level results she got A B B B so shes done well shes going to study law with spanish so weve been very excited today and busy too spk soon love kassi

Old 08-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Mkg.............................I, too, would look at cutejenny's numbers and think she needs a T4 only med for the same reason you did. But, give me your opinion on THIS. I have read "somewhere", can't remember where.......... that when one has labs like this that they could be needing T3 so badly that they first use up too much of the T4 until they get enough T3 and then their T4 will start rising. I thought this was an interesting senario, but could this even be a possibility.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kassi,

Congrats on your girls results. Law! Yeah! I hope she loves to argue. Keep up with us as you get those tests, bit by bit.

Shmily,
Hyper conversion of T4 can occur in severe hypothyroid patients. However it is more common that the hypothyroidism has caused the adrenal glands to shut down. Until you get the adrenals tested and no for sure that there is not an underlying adrenal issue influencing the conversion of T4 adding T3 is not a wise choice. If you add T3 to a hypoadrenal individual it is like tossing gasoline on a fire. Just adding a T4 supplement will drive you hyperT.. adding T3 just makes you walk the hyperT side sooner.

There are rare hyper cases like Access12 that require treating hyperT with T3. In the case of Cutejenny, I think a T4 supplement only is the way to go, but that she needs to get the adrenals checked out as well.

MG

Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 AM   #12
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Talking Re: ? on T3, & THYRIOD OR HEART

Hi, MG.

Thanks for your reply and experience. For its sophistication and my little knowlege, I took quite a while to understand and digest it.

That was my first lab result tested two weeks ago after my thyroid goiter has been there for over 10 years without any treatment. I have been on 25 ug of Levothyroxine for twe weeks and my MD asked me to add up to 50 ug. now I am just trying starting with 37.5 ug. I will have the blood work in another two weeks.

I will have my adhernal function tested for your nice recommendation. Tests for Vitamin D, B12, Ferritin, blood sugar are also necessary I had the ultrasound done and found there could be a nodule of size 0.7cm*0.4cm, and gonna to have a further radioactive imaging (injected radioactive liquid). I read some book that said nodules less than 1 cm coud not be scaned/imaged clearly, is it true

I have always felt that my jaw muscle is locking/stiff and more severe during the menstrual period (but without difficulty or pain in the opening and closing of mouth) my lower back is too week to stay straight. I wonder if the symptom is related to thyroid dysfunction or adhernal dysfunction or other autoimmune dysfunction or TMJ (jaw problem).

For the "thyroid binding globulin", do you mean the antibody? This is the antibody result:

TG 203 ng/ml (.83-68)
TPO 1000 IU/ml (0-35)

Old 08-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
(female)

kassikoo HB User

Hi Mg, yes my daughter does love to argue but in a clever way rather than nasty she alway has an answer and its usually one of those clever outsmarting ones if you know what i mean shes a bit smart with it lol! and yes i will let you know when i know those next results hun the last result was TSH 2.1 & FT4 15, i am a bit apprehensive about the next test love kassi

Old 08-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cutejenny,

further radioactive imaging (injected radioactive liquid). I read some book that said nodules less than 1 cm coud not be scaned/imaged clearly, is it true

I have always felt that my jaw muscle is locking/stiff and more severe during the menstrual period (but without difficulty or pain in the opening and closing of mouth) my lower back is too week to stay straight. I wonder if the symptom is related to thyroid dysfunction or adhernal dysfunction or other autoimmune dysfunction or TMJ (jaw problem).

TBG is the lab code for thyroid binding globulin. If you have adrenal dysfunction it can and often effects estrogen, testosterone, cortisol, aldosterone, DHEA.. the adrenals are the manufacturing site for MANY essential natural hormones and steriods.

I have multiple posts out there on what I consider thyroid care should be. I also have done research and sited many interesting effects over a variety of endocrine issues. Thyroid, adrenals, pituitary, hypothalamus and more are all closely linked. When one goes down or functions improperly others will as well. I recommend you look up my Thyroid care and concerns threads.. there are 5 of them. The Week 2 posts deals mainly with the thyroid.. the following weeks go into adrenal and other side effects of poorly treated thyroid dysfunction.

TG 203 ng/ml (.83-68)
TPO 1000 IU/ml (0-35)

Were these Antibody tests? If so it means you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Your thyroid is being killed off and needs support. Once again this is just my opinion as a chemist and fellow experienced sufferer. I can not offer an official MD opinion. But most MDs will not commit to a set opinion on thyroid care.

MG

Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

MG.

Thanks very much for your kind advice. I will request the adhernal function tests next week. So let us wait for the results. I will keep posting my blood work of FT3/FT4/TSH here for sharing and opinions.

Jenny

Last edited by cutejenny77; 08-15-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Closed Thread